No announcement yet.

Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditto. I said I'd eat my hat if they took Poeltl... I might have to wear a piece of toast on my head today. Better to look crazy than die before I get past the rim.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      I'm doing my usual thing of being annoyed at the pick, and then coming around.

I think he is someone that would allow your bench to play a similar style to the starters...so that we always have a deep post scoring threat to keep defenses honest. I also think he could play the 4 depending on the matchup
      last time i got angry at not getting my guy was knight. i don't get that way anymore.

Comment

I also think he could play the 4 depending on the matchup
        I think the entire value of this decision hinges on that. If he is a true C, then it's not a great pick for us. Hard for a guy to develop much from the bench.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think he is someone that would allow your bench to play a similar style to the starters...so that we always have a deep post scoring threat to keep defenses honest. I also think he could play the 4 depending on the matchup
          as long as one of him or jv can shoot the mid range they should be able to play together while still having what seems like really good post options and offensive rebounding.

Comment

• I just got annoyed because I was in the "you are playing with found money might as well gamble" camp
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              last time i got angry at not getting my guy was knight. i don't get that way anymore.
              I feel more empty than angry. Hard to get excited about the players we got.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                as long as one of him or jv can shoot the mid range they should be able to play together while still having what seems like really good post options and offensive rebounding.
                I really loved the advanced footwork in some of the vids I watched. He is also pretty good at tracking players off pick n rolls for blocks
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I just got annoyed because I was in the "you are playing with found money might as well gamble" camp
                  Agreed. We could afford to take the risk but chose not to (which seems like the exact opposite of what Masai said the other day).

Comment

• It wasn't a bad pick.. just a meh pick.. and at 9 with nobody from the top 8 dropping its really all you can ask for. The 27th pick hurts more.

I look at him as an asset. A prospect you can easily add to a trade to get someone immediate. If Horford wants to come here and Atlanta wants a center in a S&T.. we now have one. If Cousins wants to come to Toronto and they need a center, we now have one. And teams will want centers. Houston will probably lose Howard. Could do a Poeltl/Ross for Ariza/Jones trade (as an example).

Miami may lose Whiteside. What if we swap Poeltl for Deng and he becomes our four?

It's early.. I don't think Masai is locked in.

I think Poeltl would actually fit well. From what I can tell he likes to run and so do the Raptors. He needs work on the defensive end, but so did JV. He's got size to be a decent rim protector.. and a good shot that he may be able to stretch the floor.

In 1-2 years he may even make JV expendable. And JV is worth a lot in trades.. seems like anytime we want a star the other team is looking at JV.

Comment

• Yakeb Purtell!!!

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Agreed. We could afford to take the risk but chose not to (which seems like the exact opposite of what Masai said the other day).
                        the only thing that makes me think it might be the right decision is. Right now the entire league is shifting towards the 3 pt line. It might be time to zig while everyone else zags. If you can control the paint, control the boards, score efficiently in the post, and get extra possessions on offensive rebounds, that is probably the counter to small ball revolution. If a team can only shoot threes on you that introduces a lot of statistcal variance into their chances at winning. The other teams would shoot themselves out of games while you are just efficiently chugging along.

Comment

Maybe we're not interpreting the "risk" part the way Masai is.

Poeltl is a low risk to be a bust.

He is a much higher risk if the plan is to develop his outside game enabling him to play the 4 and 5, kind of like Horford.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

the only thing that makes me think it might be the right decision is. Right now the entire league is shifting towards the 3 pt line. It might be time to zig while everyone else zags. If you can control the paint, control the boards, score efficiently in the post, and get extra possessions on offensive rebounds, that is probably the counter to small ball revolution. If a team can only shoot threes on you that introduces a lot of statistcal variance into their chances at winning. The other teams would shoot themselves out of games while you are just efficiently chugging along.
                            Which would require we use an offence based on efficient scoring; I don't think our guard heavy offence is that. I can't see how drafting Poeltl changes that and JV has done everything possible to prove that he deserves more touches, so if it doesn't happen this year, it ain't happening.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              Maybe we're not interpreting the "risk" part the way Masai is.

Poeltl is a low risk to be a bust.

He is a much higher risk if the plan is to develop his outside game enabling him to play the 4 and 5, kind of like Horford.
                              Masai's comments were about a player not being able to contribute for a while; Poeltl doesn't seem like that guy. He's low risk because he can contribute more immediately.

Comment

Which would require we use an offence based on efficient scoring; I don't think our guard heavy offence is that. I can't see how drafting Poeltl changes that and JV has done everything possible to prove that he deserves more touches, so if it doesn't happen this year, it ain't happening.
                                I think once DeMar and Kyle see the pressure that JV can take off them, everyone will buy in

Comment

Working...
                                X