Do we still have trust in Masai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big boi wrote: View Post
    Wow. That is telling. My skepticism has officially been replaced by (informed) optimism.
    Unnecessary snark.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      This whole discussion becomes moot if Patterson steps up as a starting PF and hits his open shots consistently, like we all know he is capable of. That's the perfect fit right there.
      That's the thing. Patterson on paper is the absolute perfect fit. But last year especially in the playoffs he just didn't show an ability to hit OPEN shots on a consistent basis and it was very frustrating. I don't know what happened to his shot. He makes it really hard on the team when he doesn't hit open shots. Thank God he does other things well but damn. If he could get his shot back together next year like it was in his first season with the raptors he will be a good starter for us.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
        That's the thing. Patterson on paper is the absolute perfect fit. But last year especially in the playoffs he just didn't show an ability to hit OPEN shots on a consistent basis and it was very frustrating. I don't know what happened to his shot. He makes it really hard on the team when he doesn't hit open shots. Thank God he does other things well but damn. If he could get his shot back together next year like it was in his first season with the raptors he will be a good starter for us.
        I'll just chalk it up to a slump.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
          I'll just chalk it up to a slump.
          I hope you're right. But he was literally in a slump for the whole playoffs if that was the case. And also a good bit of the season too. So I really do think it's more than a slump. I get that patterson gives you spacing whether he hits shots or not which is good but the further you get into the playoffs at some point you just have to hit shots. The Cleveland series proved that. He missed sooooo many wide open looks in that series and it was a big part of our problem. All our shooters couldn't hit shots not just him but still. He needs to live in the gym and get that shot back together because it's looking more and more like he's going to be our starting PF next season. Which I'm fine with if he gets his shot back together.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
            Patterson struggled, but it's not like he disappeared. He shot 30% from three on 3.5 shots a game. If he hits 40% that's 1 more point per game. He's shot 36%+ from three in 4 consecutive full seasons. He got a little cold in the playoffs at the wrong time. That's bad luck, not a reason to move on from the guy.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Patterson struggled, but it's not like he disappeared. He shot 30% from three on 3.5 shots a game. If he hits 40% that's 1 more point per game. He's shot 36%+ from three in 4 consecutive full seasons. He got a little cold in the playoffs at the wrong time. That's bad luck, not a reason to move on from the guy.
              Good point. Well if the stats show Patterson alongside JV worked out really well even though it was limited minutes I'm good with him being our starter. Hopefully he doesn't get cold at the wrong time again next season.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                You could see something a little off with his 3-ball in comparison to the ultra-consistent stroke he had in 14/15 - seemed like he was tippy-toeing it a little. Could have had something to do with him adjusting to being tasked with driving it a bit more...and being defended more tightly.

But yeah, there's no reason to think his shot won't tick back up. You add his truly impact-solid defense, built for the modern game, and his heady floor-game, and you've got a guy that will do just fine in a starting role. And command a hefty salary in free agency.

Do people think that he won't get open shots with the starters? Because he will.

Do people think we won't have the depth to compensate with off the bench? Because we will.

We'll also platoon at the 4-spot again. Which might help depress the contracts of our impact roleplayers like Patterson.

Finally, I think people forget that we project to have a host of interesting options for Casey to back up Patterson at the 4. Poeltl and Bruno at least, maybe JJ, probably a free agent or trade target, and possibly DeAndre Daniels to boot. It's going to be a much different, deeper rotation than last year, and potentially much better, even without pulling a big name.

Hell, maybe we give Bennett another look.
                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Jul 5, 2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Unnecessary snark.
                  It wasn't snark. If you read through the comments you might have realized that. I asked about something. I was informed. It changed my opinion. That is possible with my opinions. So unnecessary reply. Kinda snarky really.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                    It wasn't snark. If you read through the comments you might have realized that. I asked about something. I was informed. It changed my opinion. That is possible with my opinions. So unnecessary reply. Kinda snarky really.
                    Ha, my bad.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      i do think peoltl himself said he was supposed to be a 4 this year but an injury to the starting 5 happened. i think, not sure, casey also said he could do everything we ask our 4s to do except the range.
                      Casey never said that.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Poeltl is more like KAT than Porzingis(even though I think he will evetually be a center). Centers that can guard on the perimeter. I really hope Raps don't try to turn him into something he's not. His college coach(who played in the NBA) thinks his center. He said he's quite similar to JV but faster.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Casey never said that.
                          paraphrased man prefaced with "i think" and no quotes.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Poeltl is more like KAT than Porzingis(even though I think he will evetually be a center). Centers that can guard on the perimeter. I really hope Raps don't try to turn him into something he's not. His college coach(who played in the NBA) thinks his center. He said he's quite similar to JV but faster.
                            Yeah, he's more like KAT, a PF/C, a guy who can play both positions. KAT and Dieng are basically two PF/C's for Minny who switch in transition and pick up whoever because they can both guard both positions.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Ha, my bad.
                              Cool brother.

Comment

• Here is Kevin Pelton on the rockets signing Nene.

I've bolded a couple of areas that have implications for the Raptors.
                                At first, taking a one-year deal for $2.9 million looks like the kind of move a veteran such as Nenê would make to join a contender. In this case, though, on paper, the 2016-17 Rockets don't look that promising.

However, when you look around, there aren't that many teams that both need a veterancenter and could have offered Nenê more money. The San Antonio Spurs were a reasonable fit, but their room exception might be earmarked for re-signing restricted free agent Boban Marjanovic to back up Pau Gasol. The Miami Heat might have qualified, given the potential loss of Dwyane Wade.

Otherwise, this probably was Nenê's best option, which shows the merit of waiting out an overheated market for centers.

A prime Nenê would have been an amazing fit in Mike D'Antoni's system. The current, slower version isn't as much of a pick-and-roll threat. According to Synergy Sports tracking, Nenê scored just 88 points as a roll man in 57 games last season. Still, he remains a good finisher of dump-offs around the basket. His history of injury trouble shouldn't be a huge problem for the Rockets, who have Montrezl Harrell and possibly second-round pick Chinanu Onuaku as additional options behind presumptive starter Clint Capela.

Houston can sign Nenê to this contract using its room exception, which gives the Rockets about $9 million in cap space to work with, an amount they can increase to almost $15 million by renouncing the rights to restricted free agent Donatas Motiejunas. It's unclear whether the addition of Nenê makes Motiejunas -- probably a center and not a power forward in D'Antoni's system -- expendable.
                                The first bold is clearcut. Waiting is a smart move, if you don't have a ton of space to get the ideal fit. You wait to get the best deal/player possible once the unsigned players in your range (and their agents) realize the market for their services is drying up as teams either use up their cap space or fill their needs at their position. This is how MU got Bismack for $3 million 9 days after signings could officially start last year.

The second bold is less clearcut. Jared Sullinger is still out there with a potential salary in the Rockets range IF they renounce DMo. So the Sullinger market may affect us. Maybe with Houston freeing up DMo. Maybe with Boston resigning him, but letting Jerebko and/or Amir walk. Or some other location for Sullinger that will cause another team to let someone walk, sort of how MU picked up Cory Joseph last year.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X