More Questions Than Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barolt wrote: View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with staying the course. I think a big part of who we were was our chemistry and bench, and I like continuity there. It doesn't move our ceiling, but it keeps our floor solid and our future intact.
    Carroll didn't hurt the continuity. Neither did Biz. Those guys added to the mix. I want to see a step forward.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Carroll didn't hurt the continuity. Neither did Biz. Those guys added to the mix. I want to see a step forward.
      Carroll wasn't really around most of the year, wasn't healthy when he was. He almost fits the bill as a new acquisition.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        This offseason should serve as a sobering reminder of just how next-to-impossible it is to get a star via trade, or more specifically, a power forward better than patrick patterson.

We all (myself included) had grandiose plans (package all these role players and picks and boom) but it's far more than that. First and most importantly, said player has to be available. This is a rare occurrence because strangely the guy we are wanting (very skilled in or before prime on a reasonable contract) are usually valued by their current team. Strange I know. Next, when these rare players do at times become available, you have to outbid teams like Boston with 5 times the assets who need a star far worse than you do. And then finally, if you somehow find an available player and then outbid Boston etc, you better stop and make sure this outbid for this valued player didn't just decimate your entire depth or core before approving the player.

In the end I can't be mad, this isn't playstation gm, there's 29 other front offices who's mission is to get better while also trying to make sure you don't get better.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          This offseason should serve as a sobering reminder of just how next-to-impossible it is to get a star via trade, or more specifically, a power forward better than patrick patterson.

We all (myself included) had grandiose plans (package all these role players and picks and boom) but it's far more than that. First and most importantly, said player has to be available. This is a rare occurrence because strangely the guy we are wanting (very skilled in or before prime on a reasonable contract) are usually valued by their current team. Strange I know. Next, when these rare players do at times become available, you have to outbid teams like Boston with 5 times the assets who need a star far worse than you do. And then finally, if you somehow find an available player and then outbid Boston etc, you better stop and make sure this outbid for this valued player didn't just decimate your entire depth or core before approving the player.

In the end I can't be mad, this isn't playstation gm, there's 29 other front offices who's mission is to get better while also trying to make sure you don't get better.
          I think you're really jumping the gun here. The off season hasn't truly kicked off yet. PFs get dealt and the Raptors don't need a star PF. They need to do much better than Scola this time around though.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

This is why felt we should have move up to 6 in the draft. I think poeltl, 27, Ross or delon would have worked for new Orleans and we could have cleared some cap and got murray. I don't think it's an overpay to take a shot at potential game changing talent on a rookie scale.

Comment

we were shopping Cory?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                we were shopping Cory?
                There was a rumor around the draft.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  we were shopping Cory?
                  If there's a rumoured Raptors trade: CoJo, Patterson, and/or Ross would more than likely figure into the deal.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                    If there's a rumoured Raptors trade: CoJo, Patterson, and/or Ross would more than likely figure into the deal.
                    Thats the hard part of any trade.. in order to get something good.. you have to give up something good. Its the GM's stock in trade to figure out if whats coming back makes the team incrementally better after subtracting who is going out.

Los Raptors pockets aren't as deep as they may have liked the way things have shaken out for this round of free agent frenzy.

The Raps are victims of their own competence as they didn't have a bad deal on the books to match with a pick or two to trade for a higher end PF during the draft. They also value continuity so its unlikely they make a Colangelo era type trade for the sake of making it...

Timing has also conspired to suck up cap space. Both JV and Ross's rookie deals expired and their new deals kicked in this year. Usually this doesn't happen when two higher picks who panned out have to be renewed in the same fiscal year but with the year in Europe for JV that unusal circumstance arose. In conjunction with that ... The Raps also have to pay Demar this year and it will be far above the cap hold of 15M. Having 2 starters and one former starter's contracts ALL renew in the same year makes it pretty tough to be player in FA....

Still there are some good veteran fits out there for what the Raps are looking for and what their wallets hold. Its never a bad thing if you don't have to give up any current assets and are able to add some more with cash.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jun 29, 2016, 03:59 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
                      This is why felt we should have move up to 6 in the draft. I think poeltl, 27, Ross or delon would have worked for new Orleans and we could have cleared some cap and got murray. I don't think it's an overpay to take a shot at potential game changing talent on a rookie scale.
                      but new orleans needed shooting like murray or hield like they got rather then Ross.

Comment

Working...
                      X