The Official 2016 Raptors Summer League Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Don't really understand what's going on with Delon. Last year's summer league he looked so poised and under control - like he didn't even belong with these scrubs. This year's summer league he looks like shaky and making some really bad decisions. His whole strength coming in was his composure and controlling the pace of a game - he couldn't be sped up. He's a 4-year college player with one full year of the NBA under his belt. His body doesn't look noticeably stronger either.

What's up with this guy?
    They mentioned that they're trying to expand his game to more of an attacking style rather the safely protecting the ball with his body (the announcers said post-ups but I think they were confused) and distributing. Makes sense given we are a dribble-attack team.

Comment

• people are complaining about Delon? whut?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        They mentioned that they're trying to expand his game to more of an attacking style rather the safely protecting the ball with his body (the announcers said post-ups but I think they were confused) and distributing. Makes sense given we are a dribble-attack team.
        Yeah that's terrible in a way. He's at his best dribble attacking as a change of pace guard who waits for his defender to make a mistake. He uses a slippery dribble and once th defender overplays a side he seals him and scores in the paint.

I don't like trying to change someone's game. Delon hasn't struggled to score or distribute playing the style he already had...why would you want to change that?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 15, 2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Delon played like one game last SL.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            people are complaining about Delon? whut?
            he's a 4 year NCAA player, in his second year in the NBA, shooting sub-40% with 3.3 TO/g against 4.5 AST/g ...in the summer league.

Watch about 2 minutes of summer league and you'll likely see him charge wildly into the lane and throw up a brick.

Not looking very point guard - like.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
              he's a 4 year NCAA player, in his second year in the NBA, shooting sub-40% with 3.3 TO/g against 4.5 AST/g ...in the summer league.

Watch about 2 minutes of summer league and you'll likely see him charge wildly into the lane and throw up a brick.

And really not the style he played last year or in college. Hopefully the staff realizes that and let him play his game.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

He played two yrs of njcaa. I'm worried about delon too but more bc he's not playing his game and I don't know why? Also bc this was a great chance for him to become a trade chip but rozier looks better.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                  He played two yrs of njcaa. I'm worried about delon too but more bc he's not playing his game and I don't know why? Also bc this was a great chance for him to become a trade chip but rozier looks better.
                  oh, my bad. still, he played 4 years of college overall.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    And really not the style he played last year or in college. Hopefully the staff realizes that and let him play his game.

I would argue the exact opposite. Summer league is exactly the kind of situation where you demand a guy step out of his comfort zone and do different things that he may not be proficient at.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      I would argue the exact opposite. Summer league is exactly the kind of situation where you demand a guy step out of his comfort zone and do different things that he may not be proficient at.
                      Exactly. Plus he's playing good defence from what I've seen and his team is still undefeated.

Comment

• I think some think Summer League and think "we need big stats from these guys". No, it's part of the development process and most of these guys are learning play their (potential) roles.

Comment

• Their roles in our system in our system in particular.

Comment

• Just for curiosity's sake, team leaders in +/- over 4 games...

Poeltl, +75
                            Wright, +66
                            Bruno, +65
                            Powell, +50

Poeltl has been awesome in terms of impact. Winning by about 20 per game while he's on the court. Technically, he's only played 98 minutes, so on a per 48 minute basis the team is winning by 37 points per 48 while he's on the court.

The entire starting lineup has been great, with Wright the second best among them. He's forced some stuff, but these guys are too good for summer league when they just play their games (as evidenced by Poeltl), and are trying stuff out to help them prepare for bigger roles.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Thank you Dan for obliterating the summer league panac-button.

Comment

• yep, ding ding ding to Dan

Poeltl's been shockingly good on defense. seems like he swallows up anything near the basket when he's in. playing extremely well despite being the very last option on offense.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X