No announcement yet.

Starting PF 2016-2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson can knock down a 15-18 footer. Not your ideal spacing but he is an upgrade on Amir and a huge upgrade on Scola. If we can win with Amir and Scola starting at PF, then Gibson could only help. The problem would be putting him behind the 3pt line like Amir's summer 3's and what went down with Scola last season. The team wants a 3pt shooter at the 4, thats obvious. If nothing else, Gibson could be a great option off the pine with the bench unit while Patterson starts. But I understand everyone's concerns. CHI would likely want more than just Ross given their lack of bigs, and he is in a contract year. Not sure I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Ross/Bebe for Gibson deal though.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Gibson can knock down a 15-18 footer. Not your ideal spacing but he is an upgrade on Amir and a huge upgrade on Scola. If we can win with Amir and Scola starting at PF, then Gibson could only help. The problem would be putting him behind the 3pt line like Amir's summer 3's and what went down with Scola last season. The team wants a 3pt shooter at the 4, thats obvious. If nothing else, Gibson could be a great option off the pine with the bench unit while Patterson starts. But I understand everyone's concerns. CHI would likely want more than just Ross given their lack of bigs, and he is in a contract year. Not sure I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Ross/Bebe for Gibson deal though.
      Upgrade on Amir? Nope, don't think so. Amir could hit the 15-18 footer too. And was an elite impact player.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Gibson is not a floor spacer. It's a misperception because he's pretty trigger happy in the midrange. He's never been a good enough shooter to justify it though. Career below 40% both from the closer (10-16ft) and farther(16-23ft) midrange per bballref.

Gibson's an ok player, but yeah, can't really justify trading anything for him.

I know Thompson has proven little having spent most of his career on the Sacto shitshow of a team, and didn't get to play much last year, but yeah, given we have Pat and a bunch of hopefully hungry young bigs, I'd much rather spend a cheap deal on bringing him back than trade anything for Gibson. For me to like that trade, Masai would have to fleece the fuck out of Chicago, and there's no reason for Chicago to want Ross that badly at all.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Gibson is not a floor spacer. It's a misperception because he's pretty trigger happy in the midrange. He's never been a good enough shooter to justify it though. Career below 40% both from the closer (10-16ft) and farther(16-23ft) midrange per bballref.

Gibson's an ok player, but yeah, can't really justify trading anything for him.

I know Thompson has proven little having spent most of his career on the Sacto shitshow of a team, and didn't get to play much last year, but yeah, given we have Pat and a bunch of hopefully hungry young bigs, I'd much rather spend a cheap deal on bringing him back than trade anything for Gibson. For me to like that trade, Masai would have to fleece the fuck out of Chicago, and there's no reason for Chicago to want Ross that badly at all.
          They are in serious need of three point shooting though. Personally I'm not too high on Gibson

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Depends who you ask. Bosh's doctor says he's good to go, MIA's doctor says no way. Hence the big fuss around MIA in the playoffs.
            He is at high risk for recurrent Deep Vein Thrombosis /pulmonary embolism--he may have an underlying clotting factor disorder. Traveling on an airplane is a well documented risk factor for these blood clots. If you see 100 doctors you can always find a few that will tell you what you want to hear but most will be blunt i.e. You are at very high risk to have another clot and complications could include sudden death--is it worth your life to play ?

Comment

how is Gibson not a good fit? He's like Amir but more versatile offensively. He can't stretch the floor like Pat of course, but is that all we are looking for from a starting 4? Gibson would be great for us.
              He plays defence and is veteran. We need more rim protection with loss of BB.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Upgrade on Amir? Nope, don't think so. Amir could hit the 15-18 footer too. And was an elite impact player.
                I love Amir, one of my all time fav Raptors, but I do think Gibson can do what Amir did for us and then some. Amir was a very smart defender though, and worked like few others on the court. And in my defence, my thoughts on Gibson may be a little outdated. Not sure if he is the same player he was 2-3 seasons ago, but he was a solid defender and solid 4th-5th option on O. Would be tough to pull the trigger on a wing player signed for 4 years at value for a one year rental, and ultimately, I think he is an upgrade but he is not gonna put us over the top. Still, he is way ahead of most of the names being tossed around, many of whom are unproven players or older run down players.

Comment

I love Amir, one of my all time fav Raptors, but I do think Gibson can do what Amir did for us and then some. Amir was a very smart defender though, and worked like few others on the court. And in my defence, my thoughts on Gibson may be a little outdated. Not sure if he is the same player he was 2-3 seasons ago, but he was a solid defender and solid 4th-5th option on O. Would be tough to pull the trigger on a wing player signed for 4 years at value for a one year rental, and ultimately, I think he is an upgrade but he is not gonna put us over the top. Still, he is way ahead of most of the names being tossed around, many of whom are unproven players or older run down players.
                  Tell me, would you rather trade that wing player for a guy who may not be an upgrade? Or just give Thompson a cheap deal to be the 3rd/4th big?

Personally I'd rather the latter and it's not even close.

Comment

Tell me, would you rather trade that wing player for a guy who may not be an upgrade? Or just give Thompson a cheap deal to be the 3rd/4th big?

Personally I'd rather the latter and it's not even close.
                    Like I said I can see the issues trading Ross for Gibson, but not an upgrade? Sorry, Gibson would be vastly superior to Scola and I think that upgrade would be greater than the loss of Ross, especially considering the wing depth we have and the need for younger players to get minutes. I'd be fine with signing Thompson too though. A package with Ross might be better utilized then trading for a one year rental of Gibson, I acknowledge that.

Comment

Like I said I can see the issues trading Ross for Gibson, but not an upgrade? Sorry, Gibson would be vastly superior to Scola and I think that upgrade would be greater than the loss of Ross, especially considering the wing depth we have and the need for younger players to get minutes. I'd be fine with signing Thompson too though. A package with Ross might be better utilized then trading for a one year rental of Gibson, I acknowledge that.
                      We have 3 young bigs trying to get minutes. If even one of them proves capable, than trading Ross for Gibson is actually a huge loss, not a gain. I'd bet that at least one of Poeltl, Siakam or even maybe Bebe would be an upgrade on Scola. Shit, I also believe that Thompson is an upgrade on Scola. Hence my logic of just sign him cheaply and fuck trading assets (Ross' contract value is now looking amazing btw, even with his inconsistencies) for a 31 year old bench PF on a one year rental.

If the goal is to simply upgrade on Scola, then that's fucking terrible value in a trade. We can upgrade him easily without trading Ross, and again, if we lose Ross to do that and any of our young bigs prove ready for minutes, that's a lot to give up for a guy with no long-term value and fit issues. The goal in trading for a PF should be to upgrade on Pat so he can be moved to his proper 3rd big role, or even be possibly expendable in the deal.

Comment

We have 3 young bigs trying to get minutes. If even one of them proves capable, than trading Ross for Gibson is actually a huge loss, not a gain. I'd bet that at least one of Poeltl, Siakam or even maybe Bebe would be an upgrade on Scola. Shit, I also believe that Thompson is an upgrade on Scola. Hence my logic of just sign him cheaply and fuck trading assets (Ross' contract value is now looking amazing btw, even with his inconsistencies) for a 31 year old bench PF on a one year rental.

If the goal is to simply upgrade on Scola, then that's fucking terrible value in a trade. We can upgrade him easily without trading Ross, and again, if we lose Ross to do that and any of our young bigs prove ready for minutes, that's a lot to give up for a guy with no long-term value and fit issues. The goal in trading for a PF should be to upgrade on Pat so he can be moved to his proper 3rd big role, or even be possibly expendable in the deal.
                        Norm needs ross' mins. Hopefully Bruno is ready soon. Love to watch them grow this season.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          Terrence jones from Rockets blog perspective - bold is mine

I'm not positive Jones isn't coming to Toronto, but I highly doubt it. He seems more like a Philly pickup - give him minutes and maybe he'll get it, and if he doesn't, well he ain't gonna cost them a playoff spot.

We don't have that luxury - we need someone more dependable, even if they don't have as high a ceiling.
                          In all fairness the whole Rockets team was somewhat dysfunctional. Easy for a young guy to get lost.
                          1 Year contract plus a team option -what do we have to lose?

Comment

• Based on 10 minutes of summer league play, I think we can say with confidence that Siakam is our starting PF for the next decade.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Defense is all about effort and fundamentals. He has the effort but, defense has never been a priority in Denver.

12 and 8.7 in 25 mins and 20+ PER. How is that not an upgrade.
                              And on a lousy team in ONLY 25 mins.

Comment

• Yea. Pascal is gonna be doing some work at the 4 spot. Biyombo with great hands and a jump shot. He's got great intensity. And seems like he loves doing what he's doing out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X