Everything Jared Sullinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Is it not fair to say that the bench needed Patterson more than the starters? I think thats true, even though Patterson got most of the minutes at the position and a fair share of minutes with Lowry, DD, and JV. Him starting may not have made a bit of difference ultimately. Hard to believe that regular season and playoff success would have been much different had he started.
    Thank you!
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Is it not fair to say that the bench needed Patterson more than the starters? I think thats true, even though Patterson got most of the minutes at the position and a fair share of minutes with Lowry, DD, and JV. Him starting may not have made a bit of difference ultimately. Hard to believe that regular season and playoff success would have been much different had he started.
      The team in general needed Patterson more. Scola starting lead to many early deficits that the bench unit (often with Lowry) then had to overcome. Without digging that early hole, maybe we have fewer close games and a few more blowouts that would have allow for more minutes to our prospects and maybe it allows for Scola and the bench to develop some chemistry.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The counter argument there is that the bench needed Patterson more because they were accustomed to him being part of the bench unit. Had that not been the case, the bench players would've had time to adjust and form a cohesive unit without Patterson.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Lead the team in charges drawn
          3rd on the Team in 20+ point games
          3rd on the team in rebounds
          shot 45+ from corner 3

contributing
          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sat Aug 27, 2016, 04:45 PM.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Also, wouldn't that have continued to be true in the playoffs?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I can keep going. Scola got a lot of highlight reels from this year for a guy that didn't contribute at all.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Everything Jared Sullinger

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

I can keep going. Scola got a lot of highlight reels from this year for a guy that didn't contribute at all.
                  Highlight reels are kind of a joke. You can find Hashem Thabeet highlight reels too. Or how about this guy?

https://youtu.be/lIJzqIMKqOU

So Scola's playoff minutes/role was for no reason what-so-ever? Casey just decided to pull the plug on a "solid contributor"?
                  Last edited by Axel; Sat Aug 27, 2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Oh, good, we've reached the most ridiculous evidence we can possibly offer, highlight reels.

The Ginobili comparison is hilarious, because if applied correctly it argues the opposite of what seems to be argued here. Ginobili came off the bench not because he was a better player off the bench, or because the bench needed him more, but because he fits better there. He can carry a nice large usage that he wouldn't get with the starters and allow for a consistent level of play across units.

Same goes for Scola - the argument all year long was that Patterson fits better with the starters, while Scola fits better with the bench, which desperately needed another guy to carry some usage, which Scola's post play fits to a tee. It so desperately needed it that eventually Casey was forced to always have one of DD or KL out there at all times, because Joseph was the only guy out there that could create offence (with Ross and Patterson being off ball players and JJ and BB being useless). Put Scola there instead of Patterson and the bench could probably survive a few minutes without another lead guard. Put Patterson with the starters and they could be great with no Scola mucking up both ends for them. Easy.

Unfortunately, instead we had to run out DeMar and Kyle for ridiculous minutes every game to dig ourselves out of holes that we dig with them on the court, by putting them up against lesser opposition in the opponent's bench units. The only other time the team actually increased the lead on a consistent basis is in the closing minutes when either Carroll or PP would play the stretch 4 role that opens up so much for the team's three best players.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      Highlight reels are kind of a joke. You can find Hashem Thabeet highlight reels too. Or how about this guy?

https://youtu.be/lIJzqIMKqOU

So Scola's playoff minutes/role was for no reason what-so-ever? Casey just decided to pull the plug on a "solid contributor"?
                      Please find me 3 videos of Thabeet scoring 20+ points. I like I said his body broke down at the end. Father time is undefeated. Maybe it was a burnout like JV...
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Not saying Scola is the best player but, he did contribute to helping this team win games.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Not saying Scola is the best player but, he did contribute to helping this team win games.
                          There's "contribute to helping the team win games" and then there's "contribute to helping the team win 56 games." I'm sure somebody on the 76ers helped them win games, not sure I'd want many of those terrible players on the Raptors. This is the most meaningless defence of a player I've ever seen.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Oh, good, we've reached the most ridiculous evidence we can possibly offer, highlight reels.

The Ginobili comparison is hilarious, because if applied correctly it argues the opposite of what seems to be argued here. Ginobili came off the bench not because he was a better player off the bench, or because the bench needed him more, but because he fits better there. He can carry a nice large usage that he wouldn't get with the starters and allow for a consistent level of play across units.

Same goes for Scola - the argument all year long was that Patterson fits better with the starters, while Scola fits better with the bench, which desperately needed another guy to carry some usage, which Scola's post play fits to a tee. It so desperately needed it that eventually Casey was forced to always have one of DD or KL out there at all times, because Joseph was the only guy out there that could create offence (with Ross and Patterson being off ball players and JJ and BB being useless). Put Scola there instead of Patterson and the bench could probably survive a few minutes without another lead guard. Put Patterson with the starters and they could be great with no Scola mucking up both ends for them. Easy.

Unfortunately, instead we had to run out DeMar and Kyle for ridiculous minutes every game to dig ourselves out of holes that we dig with them on the court, by putting them up against lesser opposition in the opponent's bench units. The only other time the team actually increased the lead on a consistent basis is in the closing minutes when either Carroll or PP would play the stretch 4 role that opens up so much for the team's three best players.
                            I remember saying this at the beginning of the season. Scola would have been great on the bench because he can actually create his own offence, while Patterson fits really well with the starters. I think we could have done a lot better and had a much closer series with the cavs had we been a more cohesive unit with Patterson starting.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              There's "contribute to helping the team win games" and then there's "contribute to helping the team win 56 games." I'm sure somebody on the 76ers helped them win games, not sure I'd want many of those terrible players on the Raptors. This is the most meaningless defence of a player I've ever seen.
                              Stats don't tell the whole story. Scola was big locker room presence and he would have huge offensive burst every now and than. That's contributing. Looks like we just dont agree.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Everything Jared Sullinger

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Stats don't tell the whole story. Scola was big locker room presence and he would have huge offensive burst every now and than. That's contributing. Looks like we just dont agree.
                                Fun fact, they still let the guys on the bench into the locker room.

In fact, your description above sounds exactly like the typical bench player.

Comment

Working...
                                X