Everything Jared Sullinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    Boston passed on Sully to make cap room for Horford, who plays the same position.
    Horford is the obviously better player so yes that would make a lot of sense.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      It's crazy to think that we are paying Sullinger, in the new cap jump world, $500k less than what we paid Landry Fields two years ago.
      let us never speak of this horror again... lol

Comment

• Decent read except for the fact that Sully is starter

Jared Sullinger took a step back last season, as his role on the Celtics started to slip. He still started 73 of 81 games, but averaged just 23.6 minutes per game, his lowest total since 2012-13. Sullinger still put up decent numbers, averaging 10.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game, but his inability to develop as a consistent jump shooter ultimately limited his ceiling in Boston, which is a shame, because he had a chance to carve out a big role. He might not have that same chance with the Raptors, where he signed on a one-year, make-good deal this offseason. Sullinger will likely serve as a backup to Jonas Valanciunas, though there could be room for him to step into the starting lineup if he can take a step forward as a 3-point shooter. Sullinger is a skilled player who can fill up the box score, but his expected role doesn't seem like it will give him many opportunities to contribute, so consider him just a late-round flier on Draft Day.
        http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...medium=twitter
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Scouting report on Sully's defence

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/...outing-report/
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Decent read except for the fact that Sully is starter

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/bas...medium=twitter
            They are discussing Sullinger as JV's backup. Who do they anticipate to start at power forward?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              They are discussing Sullinger as JV's backup. Who do they anticipate to start at power forward?
              I'm guessing 2pat
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                They mention that Sully might start at PF as well if he is quick enough. If he ends up being too slow, then PP is the obvious alternate.

That said, Scola showed to be too slow like one game into last season and he started essentially every game, so I'd bet it's pretty safe money Sully starts.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  They mention that Sully might start at PF as well if he is quick enough. If he ends up being too slow, then PP is the obvious alternate.

That said, Scola showed to be too slow like one game into last season and he started essentially every game, so I'd bet it's pretty safe money Sully starts.
                  Scola started because 2pat was playing horrible basketball early on, mentally he wasn't there.

I doubt 2pat on contract year will be this bad
                  to start the year.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    Scola started because 2pat was playing horrible basketball early on, mentally he wasn't there.

to start the year.
                    Casey already said Sully would be the starter. Sully is also in a contact year. Even if it was up for grabs I think Sully would beat out 2pat. Like you said 2pat was beat out by a 35 year old. I don't think he stands a chance against a motivated 24 year old. Who is more talented than him. Casey also prefers 2pat off the bench.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Casey already said Sully would be the starter. Sully is also in a contact year. Even if it was up for grabs before k Sully would beat out 2pat. Like you said 2pat was beat out by a 35 year old. I don't think he stands a chance against a motivated 24 year old. Who is more talented than him. Casey also prefers 2pat off the bench.
                      2pat may have been replaced by Scola but he stepped up and grabbed that starting job at the end of the season and playoffs where it counts most. Casey wanted 2pat to start but he just performed better off the bench.

Cant say the same thing for Sully, who not only had a poor showing at the playoffs but was not motivated enough to shed the pounds again and thus Celtics felt comfortable to release him after signing Horford. Also how do you figure he is more talented then 2pat?! He isn't exactly the stretch 4 2pat is and what the Raptors need most.

Training camp is about a month away, he better show up in a considerable shape ( and not the smoke and mirrors photos of his good side) before calling him "motivated".

Comment

2pat may have been replaced by Scola but he stepped up and grabbed that starting job at the end of the season and playoffs where it counts most. Casey wanted 2pat to start but he just performed better off the bench.

Cant say the same thing for Sully, who not only had a poor showing at the playoffs but was not motivated enough to shed the pounds again and thus Celtics felt comfortable to release him after signing Horford. Also how do you figure he is more talented then 2pat?! He isn't exactly the stretch 4 2pat is and what the Raptors need most.

Training camp is about a month away, he better show up in a considerable shape ( and not the smoke and mirrors photos of his good side) before calling him "motivated".
                        2pat shot 40 FG and 30 3FG in 20 games in playoffs. The only thing he did well in playoffs was play defense. 2pat is great as a first big off the bench.

I think Sully is more talented because he is. He's a better scorer, a better passer and a better rebounder. I guess I can give 2pat the edge on D. Even though Sully starter 71 games on a top 5 defensive team. You could give 2pat the edge as a shooter but, I feel Sully would shoot a lot better from 3 if he took as many corner 3s as 2pat. Sully has been a walking double double pretty much his whole career. The fact that Raptors play at a slower pace than the Celtics should help Sully as well.

Casey has prefered 2pat coming off the bench for a while. That's why Scola kept starting.

"I think Jared’s a really good player, and I think Jared will continue to be a really good player," Stevens said before watching Boston's entry in the Las Vegas Summer League play the Phoenix Suns at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV. "Obviously when we got Al, that made us make hard decisions. And the thing that stinks about that is having to move on and move forward, both for him and us. But he’ll do great. Jared’s one of the more talented guys being able to get the ball off the glass, and he’s got a beautiful touch and he’s a good guy, and so I think he’ll do well.
                        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Aug 26, 2016, 02:36 AM.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

to start the year.
                          If by early on you mean in 4 meaningless preseason games, uh, yeah, I guess? Childish and moronic way to run a basketball team (as demonstrated by the disaster that was Scola starting at the 4 all year), but sure.

Scola started for no logical reason at all. It was obvious from the start it was the wrong decision, and shock of all shocks, it remained the wrong decision all year long.

There is no defence for Scola starting. None. The only games in which there was actually a reason for him to start was in the playoffs when we had Patterson starting and it was working great except the bench was a complete disaster without Patterson because we started Scola all year long for no reason and as such never had a chance to develop useful non-Patterson bench lineups.

Never mind that even in the early part of the season when Patterson couldn't shoot to save his life (possibly caused by his confidence being rock bottom after being benched for one of the worst PF's in the league) the starters put up way better numbers with Patterson on the court than with Scola there.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If by early on you mean in 4 meaningless preseason games, uh, yeah, I guess? Childish and moronic way to run a basketball team (as demonstrated by the disaster that was Scola starting at the 4 all year), but sure.

Scola started for no logical reason at all. It was obvious from the start it was the wrong decision, and shock of all shocks, it remained the wrong decision all year long.

There is no defence for Scola starting. None. The only games in which there was actually a reason for him to start was in the playoffs when we had Patterson starting and it was working great except the bench was a complete disaster without Patterson because we started Scola all year long for no reason and as such never had a chance to develop useful non-Patterson bench lineups.

Never mind that even in the early part of the season when Patterson couldn't shoot to save his life (possibly caused by his confidence being rock bottom after being benched for one of the worst PF's in the league) the starters put up way better numbers with Patterson on the court than with Scola there.
                            But wasn't Patterson really good coming off the bench? If 2Pat started sure the starting unit might have been a bit better, but you really don't get the full impact of 2Pat because he isn't hilighted in that line up. In those cases doesn't it make a bit of sense to reason that you are maximizing available talent by distributing it the way they did? It did work out after all. Am I reaching here?

Comment

Scola started because he could read Lowry and DD's game better than any other big, i.e., where & when to position himself for bailouts, resets and corner 3's. That worked ok for a while, but at some point in the season, the propeller came off Scola in mid-flight. lol.

The thing you're not considering is that in the Raps offense, it's all about other players shifting and moving to anticipate options off Lowry & DD's failed drives. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the philosophy - but that's what it is. Bismack spoke about it a few times and how frustrating it was at first to learn Lowry & DD's tendencies. Scola himself also mentioned how other players had to accept the fact that they had to defer to the Raps 2 stars.

That said, I agree that many factors strongly suggest that 2Pat 'should' be the starting PF and that Casey/Lowry/DD needs to take the extra time to build that chemistry. However, 2Pat's lack of rebounding is a negative as a complement to Lowry & DD to maintain the starting unit offensive efficiency and also to help Lowry/DD conserve energy on the defensive end without getting burned. People were surprised that Bismack performed so well as a starter, but those factors (OREBs + finishing unpredictable lobs + covering for Lowry/DD poor perimeter defense) was why BB meshed so well with the starting unit.

In a vacuum, Sullinger is the perfect scoring big off the bench who can create his own offense and 2Pat is the low-usage floor stretcher, who compliments JV. But it all comes down to who makes Lowry and DD's game look good. Like Christian, I wouldn't bet against Sullinger (especially the OREBs) as that guy.
                              Last edited by golden; Fri Aug 26, 2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• do you guys not realize that Sullinger played about 90% of the year at C last season? He will be a disaster on defence at the 4 with JV, and he'll clog the paint on O with the 2 of them in there.

There's no good reason to start Sullinger with JV, over Patterson. None.
                                Last edited by KHD; Fri Aug 26, 2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X