Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big boi wrote: View Post
    Try finding 20 that are clearly worse.

I think these guys are better coaches than Dwane. How many are actually available? Don't know. I wanted Vogel. I think Vogel handily outcoached Casey in the Indiana series.

Brad Stevens
    Fred Hoiberg
    Rick Carlisle
    Steve Kerr
    Erik Spoelstra
    Jason Kidd
    Tom Thinodeau
    Frank Vogel
    Greg Popovich
    Stan Van Gundy
    I wouldn't put either Kidd or hoiberg above Casey. And what I saw vs Indiana wasn't outcoaching. If anything Vogel made the biggest coaching mistake in that series in game 5. I saw our MVP not play nearly as well as he had during the season, and their MVP play two times better than he had during the season. The things PG was doing in that series were ridiculous. He played extremely well in every way possible. Lowry didn't, and in the NBA a lot of it comes down to that.

Comment

Try finding 20 that are clearly worse.

I think these guys are better coaches than Dwane. How many are actually available? Don't know. I wanted Vogel. I think Vogel handily outcoached Casey in the Indiana series.

Brad Stevens
      Fred Hoiberg
      Rick Carlisle
      Steve Kerr
      Erik Spoelstra
      Jason Kidd
      Tom Thinodeau
      Frank Vogel
      Greg Popovich
      Stan Van Gundy
      Carlisle, Pop, and Spoelstra are all obviously elite coaches, and Stevens isn't proven elite yet but he's better than most - this year, when he finally has a star level player in Horford, will be a proving ground.

Everybody else has flaws. Vogel is a superb defensive coach, but a lousy offensive coach. Thibodeau runs his starters into the ground - everybody complaining about Lowry's minutes last year would have a field day with Thibs. Kidd is essentially unproven and has a track record of meddling with GMs. Hoiberg has his system and if he can't coach it with the right players he flounders. SVG is a good coach but he's a system coach too. Kerr walked into a near-perfect situation his first day on the job.

Honestly: Casey's pretty good. Not elite. But pretty good.

Comment

• What has Brad Steven done to make him better than Casey? Like he hasn't done anything that Casey hasn't.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't put either Kidd or hoiberg above Casey. And what I saw vs Indiana wasn't outcoaching. If anything Vogel made the biggest coaching mistake in that series in game 5. I saw our MVP not play nearly as well as he had during the season, and their MVP play two times better than he had during the season. The things PG was doing in that series were ridiculous. He played extremely well in every way possible. Lowry didn't, and in the NBA a lot of it comes down to that.
          Okay - fair enough. Over to you. I challenge you to name 20 NBA coaches worse than Dwane Casey.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            What has Brad Steven done to make him better than Casey? Like he hasn't done anything that Casey hasn't.
            He hasn't had two all-stars on his team, either.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              A little upset that Masai wasn't able to get a second year. I think Sully will have a breakout year. I think Casey will be able to reach him in a way Brad Stevens couldn't. Just like Casey did with Lou Will and Biz.

Seeing that he took less to come here I wonder if the starting 4 was promised to him?

A lot of players have struggled with thier weight. Marc Gasol, Draymond Green and Kevin Love just to name a few. All have become ALL-Stars after they started taking care of their bodies. Here's hoping Sully is the PF version of Kyle Lowry.
              Pretty hard to get that second year when you're already competing against double the salary and an increasing cap. Masai will be able to do some maneuvering if we really want to keep him.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Pretty hard to get that second year when you're already competing against double the salary and an increasing cap. Masai will be able to do some maneuvering if we really want to keep him.
                Plus there's tons more motivation for Sully to play his heart out for this one year.

Comment

It would be really, really tough to keep him. Would probably have to lose Pat, Ross, CoJo and maybe a pick or two to clear enough cap. Maybe more depending how much he wants.

This is almost certainly a one year thing, and I expect he'll be used as trade bait mid-season with Ross.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Well before this year many people on here were saying raptors only had one true All-Star(Kyle Lowry). When Casey's team won 48 wins they only had one All-star as well. Also our two All-Stars only became All-stars under Casey.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Okay - fair enough. Over to you. I challenge you to name 20 NBA coaches worse than Dwane Casey.
                        That wasn't my point though. Like i initially said I think there are only 3-4 elite coaches and most of the rest are very difficult to tell apart. That was my argument, not that Casey is hands down a top 10 coach. For instance I can make an argument for Steve Clifford being better than Casey, but I could also argue the opposite.

When it comes to coaching it's very hard to separate the coach from the players. It's not by accident that most elite coaches had elite players on their team.

Comment

to be fair, neither did casey until he had a part in propelling both lowry and DD. did anyone see them as all-stars prior to these last few years of relative success?

Comment

It would be really, really tough to keep him. Would probably have to lose Pat, Ross, CoJo and maybe a pick or two to clear enough cap. Maybe more depending how much he wants.

This is almost certainly a one year thing, and I expect he'll be used as trade bait mid-season with Ross.
                            If he plays up to his potential he's the 4 we been looking for. I could see 2Pat not retained and Ross traded for more cap space.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Sully and Deebo presser tomorrow morning
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

If we got a 2nd year it would have been a player option (just like Biyombo), no way in hell his agent let him take anything less. He's already taking a bit of a haircut to walk into a great situation where he's on a ECF team that just took a nobody (Biyombo) from $3M per year to $18M per year in one season.

Comment

Working...
                                X