Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Everything VanVleet

Raptors Republic All-Star DogeLover1234's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Really happy for Freddy. Here's a guy, who really has no business being on a NBA roster, was once a 4th string player, and here he is looking great and potentially pushing a 1st round draft pick for minutes. Slowly turning into one of my favourite players to watch on this squad.
    Yep, I would love to see him get some PT this year, both because I like the guy and I think he is a good basketball player.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to bring this puppy back up to the front and give Fred some respect.

He has been asked to contribute and he has come through admirably for an undrafted 3rd string point guard. He has been leading the bench unit and doing a pretty good job. Better with Lowry on the floor of course, but his 3pt shot seems to be coming around.

Always happy to see and underdog doing well.
    Last edited by Puffer; Sun Nov 26th, 2017 at 12:44 PM.

3. Like SkywalkerAC liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post

He has been asked to contribute and he has come through admirably for an undated 3rd string point guard. He has been leading the bench unit and doing a pretty good job. Better with Lowry on the floor of corset, but his 3pt shot seems to be coming around.

Agreed he's playing very well. I don't know what we're gonna do when we're completely healthy again. How are we gonna play all of Jakob, Pascal, OG, Norm, CJ, Delon and Van Vleet. a couple guys are gonna get kicked out the lineup or have their minutes brought down significantly.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post

He has been asked to contribute and he has come through admirably for an undated 3rd string point guard. He has been leading the bench unit and doing a pretty good job. Better with Lowry on the floor of corset, but his 3pt shot seems to be coming around.

The joys of auto-correct.

A few weeks back a lot of posters thought FVV should only be playing garbage time. So last night, he plays only 16 minutes and gets removed with 6 1/2 minutes left because he's now too good and valuable to be playing garbage time.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure Freddy goes on lots of dates and fat Lowry is not back so doesn't need corset.

7. Like 3inthekeon liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    The joys of auto-correct.

A few weeks back a lot of posters thought FVV should only be playing garbage time. So last night, he plays only 16 minutes and gets removed with 6 1/2 minutes left because he's now too good and valuable to be playing garbage time.
    He's playing well, no doubt about that. But to have him closing in close games is still ridiculous.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gonzz wrote: View Post
    I am sure Freddy goes on lots of dates and fat Lowry is not back so doesn't need corset.
    Thanks guys. Auto correct should be called "auto mistake."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he's been great. He has the same limitations as always, and benefits as much as usual playing almost exclusively against bench players, but his effort and energy has been a welcome addition to the closing units he's appeared in, enough to make up for his shortcomings, so far at least, and for the most part.

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to see him hitting his 3s. We need all the perimeter shooting we can get.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What did i say? give him consistent playing time and he's going to shine.

Raptors Republic All-Star Maury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    What did i say? give him consistent playing time and he's going to shine.
    Heís still not better than delon.

14. Like DanH liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than the Indy game and maybe against NOP, he's been pretty 'meh'. I'm real happy for Fred, but he's still a borderline 2nd-to-3rd string PG, by NBA standards. Easiest commodity to find in the NBA.

At his height, he should be a way above average 3-pt shooter to make up for his limitations - that would really help the team and would sway me big time. Love his workmanlike attitude and intangibles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maury wrote: View Post
    He’s still not better than delon.
    Exactly. But as I've said many times he's still a good player and I'm happy he's playing well while Delon is out. But even though he can shoot it better he's still not better than Delon as an overall player
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s still not better than delon.
    Yes he is.

Raptors Republic All-Star Maury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Yes he is.
    Delon is an infinitely better defender because of his size and length. Heís a better finisher in the paint because of his length and size. Heís a far better ball handler and can handle pressure more effectively. He is a better laser because he can see over the defence and has a better feel for the game. The only thing that Fred is marginally better at is shooting, but Fred isnít a good enough shooter to make a big enough difference so it doesnít matter.

Donít get me wrong, Fred is a guy who gives you big time effort in every minute he plays and I love that but effort doesnít make up for lack of talent, and delon is very talented.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Delon is an infinitely better defender because of his size and length. He’s a better finisher in the paint because of his length and size. He’s a far better ball handler and can handle pressure more effectively. He is a better laser because he can see over the defence and has a better feel for the game. The only thing that Fred is marginally better at is shooting, but Fred isn’t a good enough shooter to make a big enough difference so it doesn’t matter.

Don’t get me wrong, Fred is a guy who gives you big time effort in every minute he plays and I love that but effort doesn’t make up for lack of talent, and delon is very talented.
    Well okay hmm. But I mean, isn't he roughly as tall as Lowry? And yet Lowry makes up for these limitations with hustle, hard play, and all. As well as great 3 point shooting. So if Vanvleet improves at a good rate over the next few years, learns from Lowry... why couldn't he become something similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
    Well okay hmm. But I mean, isn't he roughly as tall as Lowry? And yet Lowry makes up for these limitations with hustle, hard play, and all. As well as great 3 point shooting. So if Vanvleet improves at a good rate over the next few years, learns from Lowry... why couldn't he become something similar?
    Well, Lowry's late rise to fame was already an incredible story. VanVleet is well behind where Lowry was at his age, and even at his experience level. So if VanVleet has the same incredible improvement, it is probably to the level of "decent starter." And that is exceedingly unlikely. But we have a team built on exceedingly unlikely, so it's possible, but if we are dealing in possibilities, we should then extend Wright the same benefit of the doubt.

Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Big difference between young Kyle and VV is athleticism. Young Kyle had it, was a calling card on his scouting report. VV doesn't, which may have been the major reason, even more than his height, he went undrafted.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Post Thanks / Like

VV is getting a chance. He is surrounded by players who have been given chances and improved their games and played their way into the rotation. If that doesn't make him work hard, and give Masai another chance to grab an improving young player on an excellent contract, I don't know what will.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Delon is an infinitely better defender because of his size and length. Heís a better finisher in the paint because of his length and size. Heís a far better ball handler and can handle pressure more effectively. He is a better laser because he can see over the defence and has a better feel for the game. The only thing that Fred is marginally better at is shooting, but Fred isnít a good enough shooter to make a big enough difference so it doesnít matter.

Donít get me wrong, Fred is a guy who gives you big time effort in every minute he plays and I love that but effort doesnít make up for lack of talent, and delon is very talented.
    I think Fred is more than marginally better at shooting, and shooting is pretty much the biggest deal out of any of those talents for a point guard. Not saying he's better than Delon, but as a secondary ball handler when Lowry is already on the floor, you can see why he'd be more useful to have on the court as a 5th option - which is why he's been getting crunch time minutes that Delon mostly had not been getting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information