No announcement yet.

Demar and Kyle team USA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's easier to be a play maker when you are playing with great players though. Good players know how to play with each other, where to be, when to cut etc., etc. You throw in rookies, maybe players from other leagues that don't play your style of ball then things get more difficult. Early last season when Carroll was healthy and Demar was finding him in the lane I was really impressed. It was like they had been playing together for years. Chemistry seems much easier to build when all players are of a higher bball IQ

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Not really. Easier to rack up assists, sure. But I'm not talking about assists. I'm talking about playmaking. And DeRozan from what I've seen has been doing a great job of finding open guys and making the right pass at the right time, a far better job than he usually does.
      Assists are usually the outcome of play making. Players actually making shots plays a big part in it. It would be nice if DD played with shooters like Thompson but, he doesn't.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        It seems like when he plays with usa basketball he stays within himself, let's the game come to him and trust his teammates. He played pretty nice last summer too.

We'll see if it's the same story when he comes back toronto and thinks he needs to be "the main chucker" again
        If DD didn't stay within himself, Coach K would bench him. He doesn't have free reign to do as he pleases on team USA, so he conforms to what everyone else is doing.

And he's absolutely going to revert to trying to be "the main chucker" again. It's who he's been the last few years when things get tough, and with the spectre of that mammoth contract hanging over him, he'll go out and try to prove he's worth it. Remember when he had that spell of good playmaking, and Casey stamped all over it, saying "he needs to look for his shot more?". I'm expecting that.

A lot easier to be a playmaker when players make open shots.
        He's playing with guys far better than himself. Of course he's going to get more assists, but he's actually looking to make the extra pass instead of looking for his shot all the time, then bailing at the last minute with his patented jump pass.

Comment

• DeMar has talented teammates who he doesn't use enough. He is using talented teammates right now. Yes, they are more talented, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have guys who can hit shots on the Raptors. He's got plenty, most of whom are underused. Him using these teammates is a good sign that he can use his Raptor teammates.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
            No, it isn't. I was referring to the team USA that competes in the Olympics. This is his first stint in that regard. The team that participated in the 2014 FIBA World Cup had several 3rd and 4th tier players on it as well, and was marred by elite guys dropping out too.
            If you think derozan is considered anything less than what he is youre mistaken. He's on that team regardless of who passed.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
              If you think derozan is considered anything less than what he is youre mistaken. He's on that team regardless of who passed.
              Less than what he is? He is a very good player. Not great. Just very good. I'm not taking anything away from him by pointing out that he wouldn't be on that team if half the program hadn't dropped out in 2014, or again this time around.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                People need to stop acting like DD doesn't belong. He deserve to be on that team just as much as anyone else. Give credit where it's due. DeMar DeRozan has earned this nothing was given to him.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Less than what he is? He is a very good player. Not great. Just very good. I'm not taking anything away from him by pointing out that he wouldn't be on that team if half the program hadn't dropped out in 2014, or again this time around.
                  A lot of players wouldn't be on this team if everybody played not just Deebo.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    A lot easier to be a playmaker when players make open shots.
                    No need to be defensive. On the Raps, DeMar is being asked to score first and then get fouled as the second option. His whole mindset on the Raps is to be aggressive and get to the rim or get fouled on a contested shot.

The positive takeaway here with USAB is that DD can have that pass-first mindset when he's asked to do it, or when it's needed. If he can mix that into his game with the Raps, that's yet another level of improvement he can reach and make the team less predictable in the playoffs. But, it needs to be practiced during the regular season so that his teammates can develop a shooting rhythm and chemistry with his passes vs. simply getting DD passes from bailouts.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      No need to be defensive. On the Raps, DeMar is being asked to score first and then get fouled as the second option. His whole mindset on the Raps is to be aggressive and get to the rim or get fouled on a contested shot.

The positive takeaway here with USAB is that DD can have that pass-first mindset when he's asked to do it, or when it's needed. If he can mix that into his game with the Raps, that's yet another level of improvement he can reach and make the team less predictable in the playoffs. But, it needs to be practiced during the regular season so that his teammates can develop a shooting rhythm and chemistry with his passes vs. simply getting DD passes from bailouts.
                      And that's where I think a coaching change could have done DD a lot of good. Instead of having Casey implore him to put his head down and attack every time he touches the ball, another voice encouraging him to be a consistent creator would help him round out his game. When he's not getting calls or hitting ridiculously tough contested shots, he is absolutely hideous to watch and must be frustrating to play alongside. It's a tough way to play on a nightly basis, and he'd make his load easier to bear if he involved others.

Comment

And that's where I think a coaching change could have done DD a lot of good. Instead of having Casey implore him to put his head down and attack every time he touches the ball, another voice encouraging him to be a consistent creator would help him round out his game. When he's not getting calls or hitting ridiculously tough contested shots, he is absolutely hideous to watch and must be frustrating to play alongside. It's a tough way to play on a nightly basis, and he'd make his load easier to bear if he involved others.
                        I actually think his teammates love playing with Deebo. If players were that frustrated playing with him than JV/Ross wouldn't of signed extensions. 2pat wouldn't of resigned 2 years ago.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Well he did say he wanted to work on playmaking this offseason and the coaching staff does give the players things they want them to work on so I would like to believe that things are gonna change. Hopefully.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Nice article on DeMar.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-dem...152610666.html
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• "The Hawk" eh?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                "The Hawk" eh?
                                Let's trade derozan for Millsap and call him the raptor
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X