Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Way Early Pre Season Predictions Thread... who finishes where in the Eastern Conference

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

So really not understanding why the concern about not getting the second seed

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    So really not understanding why the concern about not getting the second seed
    If we finish 3rd, we have to concede that the preseason pundits were right about the Celtics....which is as tough a pill to swallow as facing the Cavs

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, is that all?

Well, when we knock them out in the second round their fans will have to live with knowing they got ousted by a lower seed. The loses to Brooklyn and Washington in the playoffs are a thing of legend around these parts which still get more traction than it should. Will be sure to leave a bad taste in their mouths for years.

4. Like JawsGT, DanH liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    LOL, is that all?

Well, when we knock them out in the second round their fans will have to live with knowing they got ousted by a lower seed. The loses to Brooklyn and Washington in the playoffs are a thing of legend around these parts which still get more traction than it should. Will be sure to leave a bad taste in their mouths for years.
    Yep. The prognosticators, as the Raptors, will be judged on the playoffs. And I'm taking the Raps over the Celts every time (if the Celts even win their first round series...).

6. Like LJ2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our team is much too balanced and deep for the Celtics to handle. Gotta put IT on the block with Lowry and Demar every time and wear him out. Literally make it the most miserable stretch of games in his career.

Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Boston is likely too far ahead, but Washington is definitely catchable. I would predict us finishing 3rd, the back to back against the Wizards will be huge.
    The Whiz aren't as good as this run they are currently on nor as bad as that 3 and 9 start. Think they go closer to 15 and 10 in their last 25 rather than a 19 and 6 kind of performance.

Raps are 4 back in the loss column to the Celts...but with a win at home in the first game post the AllStar break vs the Leprechauns the Raps can cut that gap to a manageable 3 games. Boston is in the drivers seat for sure but a 10 game segment where the chowderheads go 5 and 5 and the raps go 7 and 3 sets up a one game race to the finish for 2nd where we would hold the tiebreaker.

They made it hard for themselves squandering that 4 game lead..but...that seems to be SOP for the Boys from the ACC.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Yup! Which is why I'm a little confused as to why Dan H seems so positive about us getting 2nd. The worst part is even if we control what we can control and go 19-6 or something like that Boston has to help us out significantly for it to work out for us. Second ain't happening. I say we get 3rd at best. Which sucks because I believe if we get 3rd we will play cleveland in the second round. So say goodbye to the ECFs.
    No--if third would play winner of 2/7 matchup. We want to avoid 4/5th. Finishing 3rd would not be too bad--we tend to lose game 1 at home in playoffs. Perhaps starting on road could change the trend. If finish 2/3/6/7 would still have legitimate shot to get to conference finals vs CAVS. A lot though depends on how things go post all star break.

Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Boston is likely too far ahead, but Washington is definitely catchable. I would predict us finishing 3rd, the back to back against the Wizards will be huge.
    We just have to beat them once to get the tiebreaker, but we still have to outpace them by two wins on the back end.

Hopefully we gel quickly.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we only have 4 more games against teams above us in the standings, 1 against Bos, 2 against Wash to start March, and the last game of the season against CLE which will likely be meaningless for the Cavs. other "tough" games include ATL on the road, OKC at home, Indy 3 times (2 at home), CHI at home, and MIA home and away if they are still rolling. As for west teams, we get POR at home, Pels on the road after a 3 day rest, the OKC game previously mentioned, and DAL twice. 12/13 home/road games. We do have 5 back to back left though, 3 are on the road and the other 2 are home/road splits. Seriously, if we are healthy and clicking, no reason we can't win 18-20, maybe more if we can navigate those B2B's well. Gotta take care of the DET's and CHA's and such, and get those B2B's and no reason we can't climb back up the standings. Although, I'd take wins against BOS and the two over WAS with a few losses to the "lesser" teams, rather than lose to those teams and win the rest of the games.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! Which is why I'm a little confused as to why Dan H seems so positive about us getting 2nd. The worst part is even if we control what we can control and go 19-6 or something like that Boston has to help us out significantly for it to work out for us. Second ain't happening. I say we get 3rd at best. Which sucks because I believe if we get 3rd we will play cleveland in the second round. So say goodbye to the ECFs.
    Clearly we are not going 19-6.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Clearly we are not going 19-6.
    Yeah. It should be noted that you are commenting from a time when we know we are missing Lowry for the last month and a half of the season, as compared to every other post in this thread when we had no reason to believe that would be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah. It should be noted that you are commenting from a time when we know we are missing Lowry for the last month and a half of the season, as compared to every other post in this thread when we had no reason to believe that would be the case.
    Fair point. As it stands now we are a in a win one lose one situation. I think most likely we will end up as #4 seed right where we are sitting now.

Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Fair point. As it stands now we are a in a win one lose one situation. I think most likely we will end up as #4 seed right where we are sitting now.
    Believe it or not I still think we catch the Whiz. This run they have been on is amazing. But it's got to cool off some. They are playing at a .760 rate...That's what the Warriors play at. There is another 5 game road swing where they get the jazz, clips, warriors and the Lebrons...

Raps 3 back in the loss column but hold the tiebreaker. Difficult yes. Out of the question. No.

Raptors Republic Veteran tDotted's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Believe it or not I still think we catch the Whiz. This run they have been on is amazing. But it's got to cool off some. They are playing at a .760 rate...That's what the Warriors play at. There is another 5 game road swing where they get the jazz, clips, warriors and the Lebrons...

Raps 3 back in the loss column but hold the tiebreaker. Difficult yes. Out of the question. No.
    Another thing about the Wiz; they've had a -1.1 net differential since the break (would rank 19th in the league) but are somehow just squeaking out wins with improbable comebacks. Very difficult to catch up to them yes, but still possible

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tDotted wrote: View Post
    Another thing about the Wiz; they've had a -1.1 net differential since the break (would rank 19th in the league) but are somehow just squeaking out wins with improbable comebacks. Very difficult to catch up to them yes, but still possible
    They've had a lot of comeback wins. I'd check the boxscore with them down like 20 and storm back to win it, definitely not sustainable. These guys are gonna fizzle out within the next few weeks and when they do the raps just need to string together a few wins a grab the 3rd seed

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    They've had a lot of comeback wins. I'd check the boxscore with them down like 20 and storm back to win it, definitely not sustainable. These guys are gonna fizzle out within the next few weeks and when they do the raps just need to string together a few wins a grab the 3rd seed
    I clearly have a lot more faith in Washington than you guys lol. But I hope you're right. We NEED that 3rd seed. I've come to accept the 4th seed but we're fucked if we get Cleveland in the second round.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I clearly have a lot more faith in Washington than you guys lol. But I hope you're right. We NEED that 3rd seed. I've come to accept the 4th seed but we're fucked if we get Cleveland in the second round.
    I'd prefer the 4th seed.. I don't have faith that the Raptors would do well against Indiana.. but feel like they match up with Atlanta a lot better. Especially if Lowry isn't at 100%. At this point I don't care if Cleveland is a 2nd round opponent or a first.. would be happy just to see that 2nd round.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'd prefer the 4th seed.. I don't have faith that the Raptors would do well against Indiana.. but feel like they match up with Atlanta a lot better. Especially if Lowry isn't at 100%. At this point I don't care if Cleveland is a 2nd round opponent or a first.. would be happy just to see that 2nd round.
    True, you're probably right. Even though I feel that if we could beat the Pacers last year (and Kyle wasn't healthy last year either) we should be able to beat them this year. I haven't looked at the stats but I doubt they're as good defensively and they were last year and that's what killed us. They had Paul George locking down Demar AND Hill giving Kyle trouble. Also Solomon Hill played out his mind. Turner's still gonna be a headache for us but we all know JV can dominate him to cancel him out a bit. I just don't think they're team is better than last year so I'm not as worried about them as you are. But I do agree I definitely do not fear Atlanta and believe we can beat them as well. I would just like us to get back to the ECF's and that's definitely not happening if we don't get the 3rd seed. No team scares me in the East when we're healthy or relatively healthy except Cleveland obviously. I think we can beat any other team in a seven game series if Kyle is playing. EVEN if he's not completely 100%. The only team he would need to be 100% against is Cleveland. But that's just me. Maybe you're right about the Pacers.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

True, you're probably right. Even though I feel that if we could beat the Pacers last year (and Kyle wasn't healthy last year either) we should be able to beat them this year. I haven't looked at the stats but I doubt they're as good defensively and they were last year and that's what killed us. They had Paul George locking down Demar AND Hill giving Kyle trouble. Also Solomon Hill played out his mind. Turner's still gonna be a headache for us but we all know JV can dominate him to cancel him out a bit. I just don't think they're team is better than last year so I'm not as worried about them as you are. But I do agree I definitely do not fear Atlanta and believe we can beat them as well. I would just like us to get back to the ECF's and that's definitely not happening if we don't get the 3rd seed. No team scares me in the East when we're healthy or relatively healthy except Cleveland obviously. I think we can beat any other team in a seven game series if Kyle is playing. EVEN if he's not completely 100%. The only team he would need to be 100% against is Cleveland. But that's just me. Maybe you're right about the Pacers.
    Besides Cleveland, nothing makes me more worried than a locked in John Wall.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Deems wrote: View Post
    Besides Cleveland, nothing makes me more worried than a locked in John Wall.
    This is true. But a locked in Kyle is just as good. Washington is definitely my second biggest worry no question but I do think we could beat them in a seven game series. It would probably go to seven games though

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information