Legacy Play-In 007 vs Cody vs TTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Play-In 007 vs Cody vs TTF

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted a 10 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

This special matchup is a 3 way play-in to determine who advances into the knockout stage. Each team will have a single opportunity to explain why they deserve the vote with no opportunity to counter each other. Voting will remain open for just 24 hours, so please read then vote. All comments are, as always, welcome.

007 vs Cody vs TTF

007 STARTING LINEUP

PG: Jason Kidd – 6 time All-NBA, 9 time All-Defensive team. 5 time assists leader. Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists and 7,000 rebounds

SG: Chauncey Billups – 3 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. NBA Finals MVP, over 42% 3PT shooter at his peak

SF: Scottie Pippen – 7 time All-NBA, 10 time All-Defensive team. NBA steals leader, one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time

PF: Dennis Rodman – 2 time All-NBA, 2 time DPOY, 8 time All-Defensive team. 7 time rebounding champion, one of the greatest rebounders and defenders of all time

C: Wilt Chamberlain – 4 time MVP, 10 time All-NBA. 7 time scoring champion and 11 time rebounding champion. 100 point game. One of the greatest players of all time

BENCH:

Bob Cousy – MVP, 12 time All-NBA. 8 time assists leader, 6 time champion

Jeff Hornacek – 2 time 3PT contest winner, 44% 3PT shooter at his peak

Bernard King – 4 time All-NBA, NBA scoring champion

Elvin Hayes – 6 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. 2 time rebounding champion and NBA scoring champion (as a rookie)

Robert Parish – 2 time All-NBA, 4 time champion. NBA all-time leader in games played

007 GAMEPLAN

My frontcourt is simply a cut above my opponents'. Wilt is the most dominant player in this battle. Pippen and Rodman are better and more versatile defenders than any of their opponents. Rodman and Wilt are the two best rebounders, defensive and offensive.

Cody will simply be overpowered, having no one who can guard Wilt. If he tries to double Chamberlain he will use his great passing to kick to the open man, which will lead to scrambling and open rebounding lanes for Rodman, whose 29.7% rebound rate (highest in NBA history) will give us a plethora of second chance points. We can punish Cody even more by going big by sliding Pippen to SG and Rodman to SF, and bringing in Parish to run a twin towers with Wilt. He has no answer for a lineup like that, which will also be a paint protecting monster on defense, a problem when Magic (who always has one of Pippen or Rodman on him) tries to drive.

Pippen and Rodman will also flex their lockdown muscles on Miller and Worthy on TTF's side. Barkley's rebounding is impressive until you compare it to Rodman and Chamberlain, who are both better. When we go big Parish has a huge size advantage over Barkley, using his high-release jumper to shoot virtually uncontested buckets. This leaves Chamberlain vs Abdul-Jabbar, one that was shown to be in Wilt's favor in real life when he averaged 23 points and 18 rebounds against Abdul-Jabbar in his prime (Wilt was over 33 and post-knee surgery). Wilt has a height advantage on Wallace and will destroy a rookie in Towns. Korver will be targeted by my wings, forcing him out so Miller is the only main threat from distance, and he will be locked down by Billups, Pippen and Rodman.

Cody73

Cody73 Roster:

Magic Johnson
    John Havlicek
    Peja Stojakovic
    Dave Cowens
    Moses Malone

Bench:

Kevin Johnson
    Doug Christie
    Vince Carter
    Pau Gasol
    Mark Eaton

Alright.

1st off, I know my team isn't flashy, nor do we have size like the other guys. However, we do have something: The Secret to success.

None of my guys want the glory all to themselves. They've all been in the spotlight & out of it. Most of my guys are underrated & didn't get the credit they deserved during their era. So, they've used that passion & drive in each of the games to play the best they could as a unit.

Havlicek has been the player coach on offense, making sure the ball is shared & we get the best shots possible. Eaton's been our defensive coach, making sure we can lock up guys using zones and causing mismatches when needed.

In all honesty, I feel as if this team would have a great time playing together in real life. They're unselfish, play an up-tempo style, have 3-point shooting (Carter, Christie, Havlicek, Peja & Magic can all hit from deep.), decent perimeter defense and are relentless on the boards.

The players also won't care about minutes, as all became bench warriors or were 6th men at one point or another for teams respectively.

I don't care if you vote for me, but ask yourself this: If this team was a RL one, wouldn't you want to see them play?

TrueTorontoFan Lineup

Gary Payton
    (6’4’’) – NBA Champion, 9x All star, 9x all nba, 8x all defence, Former defensive player of the year, Former NBA steals leader
    (1995-96 Sonics Seasons: 19.3 PPG, 4.2 REB, 7.5 AST, 2.9 STL)

Reggie Miller
    (6’7’’) –5x All star, 3x all nba, 50-40-90 Club, Pacers all time scoring leader
    (1989-90 Indiana Season: 24.6 PPG, 3.6 REB, 3.8 AST, 1.3 STL) -(50-40-87 this season)

James Worthy (6′9″) –3x Champion, 7x all star, 4x blocks leader, 2x all nba, NBA 50th Aniversary All Time Team, HOF
    (1989-90 Laker Seasons: 21.1 PPG, 6. REB, 3.6 AST, 1.6 STL, .6 BLK, 30.6% 3pt %)

Charles Barkley (6′6″) –MVP, 11x all star, Rebound Leader (14 RPG), 11x all nba, NBA 50th Aniversary All Time Team, HOF Shot 34% in one season from 3, highest PER was 24.63)
    (1992-93 Phoenix Seasons: 25.61 PPG, 12.2 REB, 5.1 AST, 1.6 STL, 1.0 BLK, 30.6% 3pt %)

Kareem-Abdul Jabbar (7′2″) – All-Time Point Leader, 6x Champion, 5x MVP, 19x all star, 4x blocks leader, 11x all defence, 15x all nba
    (1979-81 Laker Seasons: Career: 24.6 PPG, 11.2 REB, 3.6 AST, .9 STL, 2.6 BLK, 27.2 PER)

Russell Westbrook (6′5″) – 5x all star, 2015 Scoring Champion, 5x all nba, 18 regular season triple-doubles (2015-2016), College Pac-10 Defensive player of the year
    (2015-16 OKC Seasons: 23.5 PPG, 7.8 REB, 10.4 AST, 2.0 STL, .3 BLK, 27.64 PER)

Sprewell (6′5″) – 4x all star, 1x all nba, 1x all defence
    (1996-97 GSW Seasons: 24.2 PPG, 4.2 REB, 6.3 AST, 1.7 STL, .6 BLK)

Kyle Korver (6′7″) – all star, lead the league in 3 point% two years in a row2013-2015 (47.2% and 49.2% respectively)
    (2014-2015 Atlanta Seasons: 12.1 PPG, 4.1 REB, 2.6 AST, .7 STL, .6 BLK, 49.2% 3pt %)

Karl-Anthony Towns (7′0″) – ROY, all rookie first team, all rookie team, shot 54% from the field, 34%
    (2015-16 Phoenix Seasons: 18.3 PPG, 10.5 REB, 2.0 AST, 2.0 STL, 1.7 BLK, 22.59 PER)

Ben Wallace (6′9″) – Champion, 5x 4x Defensive player of the year, former nba blocks leader, 4x
    all star, 4x blocks leader, 6x all defence, 5x all nba
    (2002-03 Pistons Seasons: 6.9 PPG, 15.4 REB, 1.6 AST, 1.4 STL, 3.2 BLK)

So RR, which of these three teams deserves to win?
    33.33%
    Cody
    16.67%
    TTF
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

I think the winner should be 007. He has two elite shut down defenders, one of which plays the 3/4. He has two dominant rebounders and great size in the back court to make a really dominant rebounding team (at both ends of the court). Throw in a nearly unstoppable offensive force like Wilt (I say nearly because he can be stopped just not by any of the bigs I see here) and the brilliance of Jason Kidd and Bob Cousy orchestrating it all and it's easy to envision a dominant team. His 3P isn't great but he has no other real weaknesses.

Cody has an old school post driven team, but ultimately lacks defenders and shooting. His wings are turnstiles and his bench has one trick ponies like KJ and Christie which really hurts balance. I do like his bigs and Magic but overall, not enough on the perimeter to win.

TTF has a very solid team. I think ball movement (2 shoot first PGs and no real creators elsewhere) is his biggest weakness along with wing defence. Sprewell is tiny by most modern standards at 190 lbs and would really struggle against bigger guys like Pippen, Billups. Korver and KAT aren't really up to the caliber of players of most other teams benches, so hard to see them as anything but liabilities (among the worst defenders at their position in normal NBA - imagine how bad when facing this level of competition). Kareem is obviously an amazing talent and Barkley is phenomenal but I don't see them having enough advantage over Wilt/Rodman to compensate for the rest of the team's issues.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote:
      I know we aren't supposed to comment but did you really say that about KAT !!!
      He was an awful defender last year, and that's just by regular NBA standards. His 3P% is just 34% (I have 3 bigs who hit 36-37%) so good but not really special, especially when compared to elite HOF level talents who contribute in more ways. He's a great rookie but still was just a rookie playing a Hall of Famers game.

Comment

I've gotta go with TTF, without going into too much detail. He's got some fresh, athletic legs on that team and I think he'd be tough to keep up with.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
          I've gotta go with TTF, without going into too much detail. He's got some fresh, athletic legs on that team and I think he'd be tough to keep up with.
          I think all three teams are pretty damn athletic though. Other than Barkley at PF, I don't think any of his starters have much more athleticism than any other. Kareem is silky smooth but Wilt was a ridiculous athlete too.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            I think all three teams are pretty damn athletic though. Other than Barkley at PF, I don't think any of his starters have much more athleticism than any other. Kareem is silky smooth but Wilt was a ridiculous athlete too.
            As far as starters, yea you're right. But I'm looking at the bench players that would come in... RW, KAT, Big Ben and Spre in his heyday would be a good combo, better than the other, which are still very good.. Bench guys come in to play in this game right? Or is it just starters?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              As far as starters, yea you're right. But I'm looking at the bench players that would come in... RW, KAT, Big Ben and Spre in his heyday would be a good combo, better than the other, which are still very good.. Bench guys come in to play in this game right? Or is it just starters?
              All players but one would assume the starters play a lot of the minutes.

Comment

I really wish Cody would put the ball in is best players hands, but he doesn't over and over again. He's lost my vote on multiple occasions because of this.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                  I really wish Cody would put the ball in is best players hands, but he doesn't over and over again. He's lost my vote on multiple occasions because of this.
                  Agree. Pau and Vince at their best are better than Cowens and Havlicek.

I suffered the same fate last year, i didn't include enough of the modern era talent on my team. Not to say some of these HOFers aren't great, but the game is so much faster these days. Some of the older talent on these roster wouldn't be what they were in today's game. It's so hard to pit era vs era!

Comment

Vote is currently tied between 007 and TTF with not much time left, voting window may need to be extended.

(007 vote was a write in since he can't see polls on mobile).

Comment

I looked at it a few times, but couldn't make up my mind, couldn't even eliminate one team. If you gave me a week to think about it, I might decide, haha.

Comment

I had it narrowed down between 007 and TTF. I was a little hesitant to take 007 based on offense of the starters but I think his bigs will just dominate even though the team lacks the 3p presence
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                          I had it narrowed down between 007 and TTF. I was a little hesitant to take 007 based on offense of the starters but I think his bigs will just dominate even though the team lacks the 3p presence
                          Are you officially voting for 007?

Comment

I vote 007. TTF really doesn't have a playmaker and Elvin Hayes would absolutely destroy KAT off the bench. Wilt can match up with Kareem fine. I already mentioned why I didn't vote for Cody.

Comment

I declare 007 officially the winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X