Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's going to happen next season?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Best case is we win a championship. Realistic best case is we make the finals.

Worst case is we miss the playoffs due to significant injuries. Realistic worst case (assuming decent health) we end up taking a big step back defensively (for a variety of reasons) and end up in the 6-7 seed range and flame out again in the playoffs.
    I agree that Golden State, if completely healthy, should be unbeatable, or nearly so, in the finals. However, Steph holds the Warriors together to the same extent as Kyle holds the Raptors together, if not more so. If Steph is injured for (or before) the finals, the Warriors are vulnerable - and doubly so given that Durant is likely to revert to his OKC style of play in the absence of a strong leader and facilitator if that happens.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

[Deleted - accidental double post]
    Last edited by TheWaterboy; Wed Aug 24th, 2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Double post - oops!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sinbad wrote: View Post
    I think Lowry will regress a bit too, but how much will depend on whether Casey commits to managing his minutes instead of riding him like a thoroughbred every night. The best case scenario would be another ECF appearance and to play competitive basketball in every game against Cleveland as opposed to getting shellacked in 4 out of 6 games. The worst case scenario would be missing the playoffs entirely due to injuries, but a middling playoff seed and a first round exit would be horrible too.
    I think that minute restrictions are important. That said I don't see him regressing if he is managed properly. The guy has his body right and will probably play around the same amount. I think his numbers may change only because they will try to get DMC involved and Sullinger.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

What would help Lowry more, a minutes restriction or games restriction?

Raptors Republic All-Star Maury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Minutes restriction for sure. Like no more than 34 minutes on a good night, if it's an easy win it would be amazing if he could be under 30. I don't see either of those things happening and he probably plays 38-42 minutes a night like he did last year. I know it's important to play your best players, but a well rested Kyle would give us a way better chance at making the finals. He's a legit superstar when playing at his best. He won't be able to play at his best come playoff time if he's been playing 40 minutes a game.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have stats to back my claim up.. but it feels like Lowry plays like sh!t when he returns after taking time off. It's better to just keep him on the court but with reduced minutes in my opinion.

Haven't been paying much attention. How does his elbow look? Any flare ups in the Olympics?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't have stats to back my claim up.. but it feels like Lowry plays like sh!t when he returns after taking time off. It's better to just keep him on the court but with reduced minutes in my opinion.

Haven't been paying much attention. How does his elbow look? Any flare ups in the Olympics?
    Don't know about flare ups but, he didn't shoot well.
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

I think games restriction would in a way disrupt his rhythm to maintain a certain level of effectiveness, while minutes restriction should keep his rhythm going.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

best case: the team is better than last year
    worst case: the team is worse than last year

seriously though, I think this team SHOULD be better than last year, barring injury. Not sure what that means in terms of wins and losses or seeding, but we SHOULD be able to get back to the conference finals unless we meet LBJ in round 2. Replacing our biggest weakness in Scola with a solid player like Sully, and hopefully getting a healthy Carroll, as well as likely improvements from Powell and JV, there really is little reason not to be optimistic about this team going into the season. We have depth, and numerous younger players fighting for PT. We are still trending up IMO. The only thing that concerns me is Demar and Lowry trying to carry the team too much, as a result of attempting to live up to the contract and contract year, respectively. Seems unlikely to me honestly, but it is in the back of my head that these guys could derail the whole thing and alienate themselves from the team if they try to do too much.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    best case: the team is better than last year
    worst case: the team is worse than last year

seriously though, I think this team SHOULD be better than last year, barring injury. Not sure what that means in terms of wins and losses or seeding, but we SHOULD be able to get back to the conference finals unless we meet LBJ in round 2. Replacing our biggest weakness in Scola with a solid player like Sully, and hopefully getting a healthy Carroll, as well as likely improvements from Powell and JV, there really is little reason not to be optimistic about this team going into the season. We have depth, and numerous younger players fighting for PT. We are still trending up IMO. The only thing that concerns me is Demar and Lowry trying to carry the team too much, as a result of attempting to live up to the contract and contract year, respectively. Seems unlikely to me honestly, but it is in the back of my head that these guys could derail the whole thing and alienate themselves from the team if they try to do too much.
    I only hope Lowry doesn't push himself into an injury. With Wright out until at least December, that could put the team into a deep hole. I think losing Lowry for a significant amount of time is the worst thing that could happen to the Raptors, all respect to Val and DD and Carroll.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Best case is we win a championship. Realistic best case is we make the finals.

Worst case is we miss the playoffs due to significant injuries. Realistic worst case (assuming decent health) we end up taking a big step back defensively (for a variety of reasons) and end up in the 6-7 seed range and flame out again in the playoffs.
    Realistic worst case has been bang on

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Which is good what with the significant injuries we've dealt with. Team will be well above that evaluation by the end of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the compete negativity in like 6 threads?

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    What's with the compete negativity in like 6 threads?
    I lost a bet to GLF.

Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We're actually in 4th place and haven't played a playoff game yet. In what world is that called bang on
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    We're actually in 4th place and haven't played a playoff game yet. In what world is that called bang on
    That comment was in response to DanH's worst case preseason scenario. To date he has been proven correct. You are correct that ultimately all that matters is what happens in the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That comment was in response to DanH's worst case preseason scenario. To date he has been proven correct. You are correct that ultimately all that matters is what happens in the playoffs.
    #F*ckCleveland
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bold prediction: Next season, we finish first in the east.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the elephant in the room, PF position? I have to think, Patterson's gone if we sign Ibaka or not. He'll just be too expensive for a backup PF with the cap space left over after signing Lowry. We'll have at least one new face in PF. If we don't sign Ibaka, then two. I just don't see Masai going into the season with just two power forwards, one being Siakam.

Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I'm going to jump in again and answer just the threads title

The raptors will win some and lose some. Fake wins will be stated quite often. Panic and pessimism will consume the boards after losses. People will complain about demar derozan and dwane casey, and their spokesperson, christian. Barolt will have stats showing that demar is the worst basketball player on the planet. DanH will be collecting likes. Superjudge will judge superbly. GLF will GLF all over the place.

And, most certain of all, jv will be underutilized ;-)

Can't wait.
    I think this prediction was in fact the most "bang on"
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information