Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we re-sign Kyle Lowry next year or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Your braver than I am on that call...
    Its not the money... Its the age...

When Conleys deal expires he is 32
    Kyle will be 35 if he gets the same 5 year 30M per year deal on the last year of it...
    How important is that extra cap space 4/5 years from now? And if Masai's still here, I'm sure he'd be able to trade that contract (the Knicks will still have a franchise I'm sure). It's about the short term. We're capped out anyway. Give him whatever it takes to keep him. And deal with the consequences later.

The Raptors are basically a 7th/8th/9th place team without Lowry.

Comment

This team needs to compete now and signing KL is a MUST. Stop talking about Cap rooms 3-4 years down the road.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
        This team needs to compete now and signing KL is a MUST. Stop talking about Cap rooms 3-4 years down the road.
        Easy for you to say Kyle.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          How important is that extra cap space 4/5 years from now? And if Masai's still here, I'm sure he'd be able to trade that contract (the Knicks will still have a franchise I'm sure). It's about the short term. We're capped out anyway. Give him whatever it takes to keep him. And deal with the consequences later.

Hear you on the future is now sentiment .

What makes the decision tough I believe is that PG's start to lose "it" around age 31/32... Agree that the Raps without todays Kyle are most likely a 6th through 8th place team.
          My reticence on going all in is that we might also be that same 6 to 8 place team with 34 year old Kyle and carrying that deal for two more years. Can't be in a position to have your team get old on you while your holding big money long term contracts. Its Knicks like.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

I think Masai is leaning towards not re-signing Lowry. It's only explanation for having 4 rotation-ready PGs on the roster when our best player plays the same position.

Add that to the fact that they've allegedly been trying to get Norman more involved in running an offense and setting his teammates up rather than scoring.

edit: I forgot to mention the fact that Lowry is the oldest player on our roster and quite possibly the greatest assembly of talent on one team in NBA history is sitting pretty in the other conference. Masai sees the writing on the wall.
            Last edited by toxickiller; Wed Oct 5, 2016, 12:55 AM.

Comment

toxickiller wrote: View Post
              I think Masai is leaning towards not re-signing Lowry. It's only explanation for having 4 rotation-ready PGs on the roster when our best player plays the same position.

Add that to the fact that they've allegedly been trying to get Norman more involved in running an offense and setting his teammates up rather than scoring.

edit: I forgot to mention the fact that Lowry is the oldest player on our roster and quite possibly the greatest assembly of talent on one team in NBA history is sitting pretty in the other conference. Masai sees the writing on the wall.
              Wouldn't one of our usual three rotation ready PG's being injured for half a season be a reasonable explanation for adding a 4th?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Of course.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Um, who are the 4 "rotation ready" PGs on the roster. I count Lowry and Joseph. That's two. Delon Wright? Not sure he's 'rotation ready' given that he's: a) hurt; and b) hasn't played regular minutes and is only in his second season. So, yeah, they have 2 at the moment with a capable third-stringer to eat up some minutes if other get hurt and he's healthy (probably).

Fred Van Vleet is not an everyday NBA player. Now, he might become one eventually, maybe, but he isn't any sort of replacement for Lowry or Joseph in the depth chart.

Comment

What does "rotation-ready" mean?

As slaw said, we only have 2 PGs in our actual rotation. Neither Wright or Vanvleet are capable everyday players at this stage in their careers.

Comment

[IMG] [/IMG]

Comment

Conley is 29 this year and will turn 33 before his final season.

Kyle turns 31 in March. He will be 35 for most of his final season. About two and a half years older than Conley during that final year.

I am willing to bet Kyle won't need a max to stay. If we throw $100 million at him to secure the rest of his career I think he takes it. He'd solidify his legacy as one of the all-time great Raps (if not the greatest, after all is said and done), and never have to worry about money again.

If we front load the deal it could work out capwise too.

I am a huge Lowry homer so I'm biased, but at the same time Masai is also an extremely skilled negotiator.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Conley is 29 this year and will turn 33 before his final season.

Kyle turns 31 in March. He will be 35 for most of his final season. About two and a half years older than Conley during that final year.

I am willing to bet Kyle won't need a max to stay. If we throw $100 million at him to secure the rest of his career I think he takes it. He'd solidify his legacy as one of the all-time great Raps (if not the greatest, after all is said and done), and never have to worry about money again.

If we front load the deal it could work out capwise too.

I am a huge Lowry homer so I'm biased, but at the same time Masai is also an extremely skilled negotiator.
                          Lowry's age does concern me, given the grinding style he has to play in this offense. On top of that, he throws his body around like a hockey player. The back end of a deal could be very ugly, which is something Masai must keep in mind.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Absolutely correct. See bold (key)
                            WRT to Kyle being overpaid in years 4 & 5 -2 possibilities:
                            1. We have more guys that are overpaid & not producing & not enough young talent that developed by then (Joseph, Wright...)
                            Ride the last year or 2 & reload;
                            2. Young guns develop by then & take control -we are still good.
                            I see first possibility as more likely. After all isn't Kyle & his work ethic (and willingness to sacrifice body) excellent role models that would help/aid young players in developing better?
                            Not to mention that with Kyle we have an excellent chance of at least challenging for ECF for next 2-3 yrs.
                            IMO its a no-brain er -give him a max, if that is what it takes (hopefully we get a bit of a break there).

Comment

u guys think he would take 115/4yrs ?
                              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                                u guys think he would take 115/4yrs ?
                                Why should he take a discount to sign with us? He's our best player.

Comment

Working...
                                X