The Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Be careful that 0.0% financing isn't 0.0% APR financing - APR stands for above prime rate, so you'll be paying prime interest on the loan.
    This is news to me ... will research further. Lol I thought 0% was 0% ... but I guess I'm the ignorant consumer that they love? Thanks Dan!
    Last edited by Joey; Sun Oct 16, 2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Here's my two cents ...
      If you're gonna have regular hwy driving I recommend a mid size car for stability and safety purposes.
      I tried driving different vehicles,now my favorite is Toyota Camry ,a reliable comfy ride fuel efficient car (option between 4 or 6 cyl).
      Whatever car you choose I think a lightly used car with less than 50k on it will give you a significant discount compared to brand new while still enjoy warranty on a very clean car.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        Haha Awesome. Some great feedback in here. Speed holes are a must.

I think I'm leaning toward a VW GTi, but am seeing that I can get 0.00% financing on a 2016 model .. so might go new, just for that. Warranty is always nice as well.
        Really like the Golf R, but its a little out of my price range, and I like the 2-door hatch configuration of the Golf, and you can't get the R in the 2-door. But my goodness does that car look awesomely fun.

Leasing is also something I'm looking at, because my placement at this particular office will likely be done in about 2 years, but I figure I'll need a car beyond then as well, so might as well just bite the bullet now and take advantage of a pretty good deal?

Buddy of mine is a mechanic, who teaches autoshop in Highschool, but he's not too good with all the new Chinese Computer Components they put into cars, so he's telling me go 2002 or older, so he can actually work on it. Cars that old, with that many miles, just make me think about all the costs of repairs and replacement parts.
        GTIs are nice. I test drove one a few weeks ago. 4-door 2016 with performance pack.

Those 2.0L turbos are real easy to tune, too (if you're into that sort of thing). 80+ extra horses for $700.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          GTIs are nice. I test drove one a few weeks ago. 4-door 2016 with performance pack.

Those 2.0L turbos are real easy to tune, too (if you're into that sort of thing). 80+ extra horses for $700.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html
          Great news, since I bought a 2016 GTI 4-Door Manual yesterday ... feel pretty weird/awesome about it. Haha
          As a non-home owner, first time car buyer, this is literally the most expensive thing I've ever had hanging over me.

But probably the most fun thing too. So there's that. Lol

Belair Direct has some great Insurance Rates as well, if anyone is curious.

Comment

Congrats. What colour? Did you go with the plaid seats?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Congrats. What colour? Did you go with the plaid seats?
              Thanks man!!
              They had pretty limited stock of colours left for the 2016s, so I got the Red. I wanted the dark grey, or the Navy, but ah well.

And because the stock was limited, and they really just wanted to get rid of it, I got the leather package, and the technology package (about $3,000 total) for Free. So nice leather seats, with red stitching. Pretty fancy if I do say so myself!

Comment

Thanks man!!
                They had pretty limited stock of colours left for the 2016s, so I got the Red. I wanted the dark grey, or the Navy, but ah well.

And because the stock was limited, and they really just wanted to get rid of it, I got the leather package, and the technology package (about $3,000 total) for Free. So nice leather seats, with red stitching. Pretty fancy if I do say so myself!
                Congrats Joey. Welcome to the indebted world lol. You're now the proud owner of a depreciating asset like many of us.

In all seriousness though, with the amount of time you're going to spend commuting it's important to have a comfortable vehicle and something you enjoy driving and are proud of. Don't forget to change the oil on a regular basis and keep your tires inflates!

Peace!
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Im buying an older LR3 soon from a good friend. Bad on gas, great insurance rates, goes anywhere.

I'm happy.

DanH is giving you some good advice here Joey, I used to sell for Mercedes so I know the biz.... listen to him.

I'd help, but at $300/hr, I'm likely not worth your cash.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Im buying an older LR3 soon from a good friend. Bad on gas, great insurance rates, goes anywhere.

I'm happy.

DanH is giving you some good advice here Joey, I used to sell for Mercedes so I know the biz.... listen to him.

I'd help, but at $300/hr, I'm likely not worth your cash.

Comment

hahahahahhahahaahhahaaaa

Comment

Joey, 6 months later, how are the new wheels holding up?

I got rear ended a few weeks ago. Was hoping my car would get written off so I can start shopping for a replacement. But alas, the repairs came in under the value of the car.

Comment

Buying a Car

Oh man, sorry to hear about the damage .. That's my nightmare at this point.

But ya, I love my GTI. Thing is a blast to drive, and if I ever get bored (doubt it, but it's possible), as you note above, a grand or two will turn it into a completely new car! Haha

Couldn't be happier with my choice.

But now I'm super paranoid about Parking Lots .. within the first 2 months I got 2 little dings, so now I always park at the furthest back corner I can find. Lol
                          Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 7, 2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Oh man, sorry to hear about the damage .. That's my nightmare at this point.

But ya, I love my GTI. Thing is a blast to drive, and if I ever get bored (doubt it, but it's possible), as you note above, a grand or two will turn it into a completely new car! Haha

Couldn't be happier with my choice.

But now I'm super paranoid about Parking Lots .. within the first 2 months I got 2 little dings, so now I always park at the furthest back corner I can find. Lol
                            Do you treat your woman with the same care Joey?

Have you ever considered this....

https://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/...ams-explainer/

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Do you treat your woman with the same care Joey?

Have you ever considered this....

https://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/...ams-explainer/
                              I'd like to think I do, but I guess I'm a bachelor for a reason. Lol

I have actually thought about getting a dashcam though, yes. They have some really good ones too that can detect if someone hits you if you're away from the car, and can record the time and turn itself on and stuff. Can definitely see myeslf making the investment.. If I've learned anything from watching Russian Videos, its that Dashcams come in handy at some pretty random times. Lol

Comment

I'd like to think I do, but I guess I'm a bachelor for a reason. Lol

I have actually thought about getting a dashcam though, yes. They have some really good ones too that can detect if someone hits you if you're away from the car, and can record the time and turn itself on and stuff. Can definitely see myeslf making the investment.. If I've learned anything from watching Russian Videos, its that Dashcams come in handy at some pretty random times. Lol
                                I have no idea what these things cost but here is a possible cost minimizer....if you are self employed or have a business and drive/park for such purposes.... you might be able to charge the cost of as a business expense. And here's hoping we don't see any meteors hitting our neck of the planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X