Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewro wrote: View Post
    The fan boys aren't gonna like it but perhaps masai doesn't want to attach an asset to Demarre and figures his position will be harder to replace so he's looking at what he can get for JV.
    Another team could have an injury by the deadline and pay a decent return. Maybe by that time the team feels confident in Meeks to soak up a few mins vs nurkic types. He's a big body, rebounds, senior and soft hands.
    Think it was Grange last night who said MU detests attaching assets to move players, which is the right way to go. Carroll needs to go, but you don't just throw in a prospect or pick to make it happen. That's not how you build/maintain a team.

Also I'm pretty sure Meeks is a camp body
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Yeah, but there's a reality that the team is not going to pay crazy amounts of luxury tax. I'd have no issue if they did, that would be great, but they simply will not go deep into the tax. It's not happening. So it will come down to a choice - do you just re-sign Lowry and Ibaka, and shed a small amount of salary (probably CoJo - or possibly no one at all if the market is suppressed enough for those two) to keep the tax bill reasonable, or do you find a way to drop one of JV/Carroll and use that money to keep Tucker as well?
      or maybe masai knows lowry is walking and therefore isn't in a rush to trade anyone

Comment

• Anyways, regarding OG. I like the pick. Dude's wingspan is positively freakish. Looks like a guy that'll be able to defend and fill lanes as soon as he's healthy. If he develops a consistent 3 point shot...

The Ringer had a really interesting article on him being like Draymond, and playing heavy 5 minutes. Those highlights of him holding the post versus centers and bigger forwards certainly makes you think.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Yeah, Meeks is D-League bound for sure unless not only JV but also one of Poeltl/BeBe are gone.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            or maybe masai knows lowry is walking and therefore isn't in a rush to trade anyone
            Always possible. Doubt it though.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Was really hoping Masai would buy a second round pick and take Semi. Typical MU drafts are boring af tho.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                I also concur. He looked very languid and sluggish all year long.
                He also has had lingering heart issues going back to I believe his draft days and I think even this past season. I'd be very careful.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/l...n-white-031117

Comment

Always possible. Doubt it though.
                  we'll see how aggressive masai is in the trade market over the next little while.

Personally, i would hope that Masai is smart enough to realize, even with the small sample size after the ibaka trade, that running out the same team minus a few key role players isn't anywhere near good enough. And there's limited room for improvement over a 5 year lowry contract if you lock in to demar/lowry/ibaka.

I don't know what the move is, but i figure he's got to know that he needs to do more than just get tax relief if he really wants to commit to this core.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    Anyways, regarding OG. I like the pick. Dude's wingspan is positively freakish. Looks like a guy that'll be able to defend and fill lanes as soon as he's healthy. If he develops a consistent 3 point shot...

The Ringer had a really interesting article on him being like Draymond, and playing heavy 5 minutes. Those highlights of him holding the post versus centers and bigger forwards certainly makes you think.
                    Obviously when saying this I mean it in a VERY limited capacity, but I like that comparison more than MKG. Not going to go out there and drop 20 a night, but he's going to be expected to be a defensive stopper against bigger guys and grab boards. I think their games could be similar but with Anunoby not having the same passing ability.

Again before I get attacked, I mean in the most limited capacity. Like a broke man's Draymond. But similar style/expectations.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                      He also has had lingering heart issues going back to I believe his draft days and I think even this past season. I'd be very careful.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/l...n-white-031117
                      cocaine's a helluva drug

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        we'll see how aggressive masai is in the trade market over the next little while.

Personally, i would hope that Masai is smart enough to realize, even with the small sample size after the ibaka trade, that running out the same team minus a few key role players isn't anywhere near good enough. And there's limited room for improvement over a 5 year lowry contract if you lock in to demar/lowry/ibaka.

I don't know what the move is, but i figure he's got to know that he needs to do more than just get tax relief if he really wants to commit to this core.
                        Am I correct in thinking that the luxury tax isn't calculated until the end of the season? In other words, Masai has until next April to lower the impact? I'm also curious as to what insight DanH has re certainty that they will only pay so much tax.

Masai probably has a decent feel for what's going to happen with Lowry and Ibaka and Tucker. If Lowry leaves, he won't sign Ibaka, and likely not Tucker. No cap problem. Can still trade JV and or Carroll if a deal arises. If Lowry signs, he likely also signs Ibaka and Tucker, and yes, the tax bill will be enormous. But there's still the option to evaluate up to the trade deadline and either move JV/Carroll (albeit likely with assets attached) or blow it all up if it's not working.

I don't see a rush or impetus to shed cap right now, unless I'm missing something?
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Yeah, but there's a reality that the team is not going to pay crazy amounts of luxury tax. I'd have no issue if they did, that would be great, but they simply will not go deep into the tax. It's not happening. So it will come down to a choice - do you just re-sign Lowry and Ibaka, and shed a small amount of salary (probably CoJo - or possibly no one at all if the market is suppressed enough for those two) to keep the tax bill reasonable, or do you find a way to drop one of JV/Carroll and use that money to keep Tucker as well?
                          Yeah I hear you. I just think if would have used the pick to dump Carroll now, in two years time whatever happiness/benefits the fans/team would have gotten from that move will be less than what they would get from having (a healthy) OG on the roster.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Was really hoping Masai would buy a second round pick and take Semi. Typical MU drafts are boring af tho.
                            Apparently the Raptors used spent $1M in the PJ Tucker trade so they only had $2.5M left. ($3.5M is the max that a team can spend per season - and that's going up in the next CBA). GS probably used all $3.5M of it to buy Chicago's 2nd round pick.

Also, fuck Chicago. Them wanting money over talent isn't really a surprise though.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

This is why I called you biased six months ago when you didn't include JV as part of the salary dump strategy in your raps hq article. I agree with you that it should be Demarre. At most I would have attached siakam but that would have been to the Sixers for bell at 39. That didn't happen. JV now moves to the #1 target imo. Keep in mind, JV is a Colangelo guy. Carroll was masai's top free agent. Doesn't look good to attach an asset to dump, especially when his position is hard to replace. Better to hope he has some measure of return to form or that for some inconceivable reason someone takes him with cojo and bebe. One way or the other, we're taking a loss.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                Apparently the Raptors used spent $1M in the PJ Tucker trade so they only had $2.5M left. ($3.5M is the max that a team can spend per season - and that's going up in the next CBA). GS probably used all $3.5M of it to buy Chicago's 2nd round pick.

Also, fuck Chicago. Them wanting money over talent isn't really a surprise though.
                                GSW getting bell, Boucher and McCaw without a pick is ninja.

Comment

Working...
                                X