Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    It's not the thread that's full it, it's Christian and I know it's annoying.

He is definitely a broken record that just spews his undying of love for Semi ad nauseam & just refuses to accept any criticism of him. I'm fairly convinced he is either a family member or Ojeleye himself.
    Right, I'm sure I'm the only one who voted for him in the poll...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 07:37 PM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
      Not what the eye test or the #s suggest at the Ncaa level imo. Semi couldn't get on the floor for two yrs in the acc whereas Lydon made it to the final four out of the acc as a freshman. He was the man as a sophomore (although he underwhelmed).

I think they will both somewhat struggle for opposite reasons. Lydon has the instincts and bball IQ (he's sneaky) but lacks strength and athleticism. Semi is kinda dumb but he's strong and quick. I have them around the same tier for different reasons.
      Most Syracuse players struggle to defend in the NBA because, thier not protected by that 2-3 zone anymore. Please add context when you're explaining a scenerio. Lydon was freshmen who helped the orange get to the final four. By coming off the bench and bringing shooting. He was never in leadership role till this year and they didn't even make the tournament.

Semi played on SMU. SMU was one the best defensive/rebounding team in the nation. They played a tight 7 men rotation of all players 6'5"-6'8". They would switch every pnr and the players were able to contain and guard thier yard. Semi had to carry a huge scoring load. He won't have to in NBA. Which would allow him to focus his energy to just shooting and playing D. Instead of having to score 20(Which he did efficiently) a night for his team to have a chance to win.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 07:59 PM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'm kinda interested in Josh Hart, I like his game. Smart player, efficient scorer, with tough nosed, and would really fit in with this team.

Not really falling in love with anyone this year. John Collins is my number one guy if he falls, then Terrance Ferguson, Josh Hart, and then Semi

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Semi played on SMU. SMU was one the best defensive/rebounding team in the nation. They played a tight 7 men rotation of all players 6'5"-6'8". They would switch every pnr and the players were able to contain and guard thier yard. Semi had to carry a huge scoring load. He won't have to in NBA. Which would allow him to focus his energy to just shooting and playing D. Instead of having to score 20(Which he did efficiently) a night for his team to have a chance to win.

Blah blah blah....yes we've heard this lame duck excuse 100x over from you already.

Having to be the lead scorer doesn't excuse a player from displaying their great defensive skills IF they posses it. Semi has yet to actually show he is a good defender.

1. Being that he is a JUNIOR and wasn't always the lead scorer makes this a strawman argument to begin with
          2. Many great scorers ie/ Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Paul George and the list goes on and on...have to carry scoring loads BUT will lockdown their man or whomever is hot WHENEVER the teams needs them to. No great defender simply refuses to defend at a high level when his team needs it.

No one is expecting a Kawhi like effort game in and game out but don't use this strawman argument that we supposedly haven't seen this great defense from him just because he was the main scoring option because firstly he wasn't always that and secondly great defenders don't just not do so EVER just because they have to carry the scoring load. If anything as being the leaders of their team they take that challenge upon themselves (if they can) when their team needs. Now stop being so damn annoying and just admit Semi isn't perfect.

He's a great kid, good shooter and that's why he's not going to go undrafted but a limited ballhandler, with poor length for the 4 spot is also why he is projected to be a late 1st to 2nd rd. It would also be nice if you discussed other prospects too as opposed to telling everyone how "great" Semi is all the time.

Comment

Most Syracuse players struggle to defend in the NBA because, thier not protected by that 2-3 zone anymore. Please add context when you're explaining a scenerio. Lydon was freshmen who helped the orange get to the final four. By coming off the bench and bringing shooting. He was never in leadership role till this year and they didn't even make the tournament.

Context is that he played 30mins as freshman and was top 4 on the team in usage and fga. He led the team in blks that yr at nearly 2/gm which is twice as much as the next highest player on the team. What makes that even more impressive is that he's not a 5, many of his blocks are on the perimeter against 3pt shots.
            Fyi SMU used zone too and I'm don't care how their team D performed bc the raps are not drafting their team. Yes, they made the tournament but their conference is shit and they got upset by a Rd of 68 team in their first game. Syracuse had a shit team (they lost their top two guys to the NBA) and the acc is one of the top conferences.
            Ive said several times that Lydon was underwhelming as a sophomore. I think Lydon has flaws and I think that semi is a good player but I also don't think he's gonna flip a defensive switch and magically become draymond. You're kidding yourself a bit here.
            Lydon makes defensive plays bc of his IQ and length. Semi has neither. He has strength and quickness but not IQ. Those qualities can translate regardless of zone or man D.

Comment

• James, even tho semi was a junior, he redshirted so he's actually the age of a typical senior.

Comment

Context is that he played 30mins as freshman and was top 4 on the team in usage and fga. He led the team in blks that yr at nearly 2/gm which is twice as much as the next highest player on the team. What makes that even more impressive is that he's not a 5, many of his blocks are on the perimeter against 3pt shots.
                Fyi SMU used zone too and I'm don't care how their team D performed bc the raps are not drafting their team. Yes, they made the tournament but their conference is shit and they got upset by a Rd of 68 team in their first game. Syracuse had a shit team (they lost their top two guys to the NBA) and the acc is one of the top conferences.
                Ive said several times that Lydon was underwhelming as a sophomore. I think Lydon has flaws and I think that semi is a good player but I also don't think he's gonna flip a defensive switch and magically become draymond. You're kidding yourself a bit here.
                Lydon makes defensive plays bc of his IQ and length. Semi has neither. He has strength and quickness but not IQ. Those qualities can translate regardless of zone or man D.
                There is a track record of Orange man struggling to play d in the NBA because of all the zone they play. Lydon is not quick enough to stay with 3s and too weak bang with 4s. You even said previously in this thread that you don't know who Lydon would guard in the NBA. Now you believe he is a stopper?

I never said he was Draymond. Stop that. My comparison has always been Crowder. That's who he compares himself to as well. Also USC couldn't stop Semi in that game. He got whatever he wanted. It's too bad his teammates couldn't pick up the scoring load.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 08:54 PM.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

There is a track record of Orange man struggling to play d in the NBA because of all the zone they play. Lydon is not quick enough to stay with 3s and too weak bang with 4s. You even said previously in this thread that you don't know who Lydon would guard in the NBA. Now you believe he is a stopper?

I never said he was Draymond. Stop that. My comparison has always been Crowder. That's who he compares himself to as well. Also USC couldn't stop Semi in that game. He got whatever he wanted. It's too bad his teammates couldn't pick up the scoring load.

Yeah, semi put up points in that game but we're talking D. Ok, he's not draymond but now after all these yrs he's gonna flip a Crowder switch? Where was that D when he was on the bench at Duke?
                  No, I don't think Lydon is a stopper and I'm not interested in generalizations about the history of Syracuse bc again, I'm not drafting the corpse of leo rautins. I'm also not advocating to draft Lydon bc of his lack of strength and quickness. I'm comping him as an opposite strength v weakness on D to semi bc he's the guy that you want to draft. I've listed several players above both of them.

Comment

Yeah, semi put up points in that game but we're talking D. Ok, he's not draymond but now after all these yrs he's gonna flip a Crowder switch? Where was that D when he was on the bench at Duke?
                    No, I don't think Lydon is a stopper and I'm not interested in generalizations about the history of Syracuse bc again, I'm not drafting the corpse of leo rautins. I'm also not advocating to draft Lydon bc of his lack of strength and quickness. I'm comping him as an opposite strength v weakness on D to semi bc he's the guy that you want to draft. I've listed several players above both of them.
                    Here they start talking about his defense at the 2:00 min mark
                    https://youtu.be/B_oJ2crAh_M

As you can see he is strong enough that he doesn't get back down in the post. As well has great lateral quickness to switch and contain smaller players. Which is what raps would like thier frontcourt players to do. Could he of done this more consistently sure. The point of the matter is that he is capable of doing. It's up to the coaching staff to get him to do that consistently. He is a smart kid. He knows that at NBA level the only way he can get on the court will be with his D.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 09:26 PM.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Lots of rumours floating about the Suns trading #4 for an 'established star'

Comment

As you can see he is strong enough that he doesn't get back down in the post. As well has great lateral quickness to switch and contain smaller players. Which is what raps would like thier frontcourt players to do. Could he of done this more consistently sure. The point of the matter is that he is capable of doing. It's up to the coaching staff to get him to do that consistently. He is a smart kid. He knows that at NBA level the only way he can get on the court will be with his D.

Are you being obtuse or stubborn or both?
                        Over and over I've said that hes quick and strong and lacks IQ. Here's the weakness video from the same dudes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lY3iaB3PfE

Talks about poor decision making, lack of awareness, still learning.

He's an exceptional athlete that couldnt play at Duke bc he's got a low IQ so he went to a weak conference and dominated as an older, more athletic player.

I doubt that it translates to the NBA bc they're more great athletes at the NBA with more size/length and much smarter/faster decisions. At 22 he's not all of sudden gonna grow a new brain and magically become a lockdown defender. Yes, he can improve but typically within reason.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Same shit over and over again with you. He's good, not great. Not my first choice.

Comment

Are you being obtuse or stubborn or both?
                          Over and over I've said that hes quick and strong and lacks IQ. Here's the weakness video from the same dudes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lY3iaB3PfE

Talks about poor decision making, lack of awareness, still learning.

He's an exceptional athlete that couldnt play at Duke bc he's got a low IQ so he went to a weak conference and dominated as an older, more athletic player.

I doubt that it translates to the NBA bc they're more great athletes at the NBA with more size/length and much smarter/faster decisions. At 22 he's not all of sudden gonna grow a new brain and magically become a lockdown defender. Yes, he can improve but typically within reason.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Same shit over and over again with you. He's good, not great. Not my first choice.
                          I never said he was great though. Where do you get great from a Jae Crowder comparison?

There's also a lot of players that have dominated small conferences and have had success in NBA. Lillard, Kenneth Faried, Paul George etc. It doesn't matter where you play. If you can play they will find you. Let's not act like all he is doing is bullying his way to the rim. He was #1 in the whole NCAA in pick n pop effecient. Shot 42 percent from on 3 on a high volume. One of the most effecient ISO scorers in the NCAA. The guy is skilled. It's not all strenght and athleticism..

I don't get why you think it's such a stretch for him to be a good defender o the NBA level. Ross doesn't have the highest Ball IQ but, is a good defender when engagged. That could be said about a lot of players. Yes, he's old just Powell/Wright. Just cause a guy is 22 doesn't mean he can't get better. Also I'm pretty sure there were other 22 year old in that conference. Especially if you have a great work ethic which has been reported numerous times in regards to Semi.

Do I think he is the best player in the draft? No but, in our range I think he is the best fit need wise/culture wise.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 10:10 PM.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk such a stretch for him to be a good defender o the NBA level. Ross doesn't have the highest Ball IQ but, is a good defender when engagged. That could be said about a lot of players. Yes, he's old just Powell/Wright. Just cause a guy is 22 doesn't mean he can't get better. Also I'm pretty sure there were other 22 year old in that conference. Especially if you have a great work ethic which has been reported numerous times in regards to Semi.

Do I think he is the best player in the draft? No but, in our range I think he is the best fit need wise/culture wise.

just ignore the fact the ball floated over his head because of his short arms and we might have a star boys...

lydon is trash also.. SMH

where's the bath salts?

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                              just ignore the fact the ball floated over his head because of his short arms and we might have a star boys...

lydon is trash also.. SMH

where's the bath salts?

Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Thu Jun 22, 2017, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• DX now has the Raps taking OG at #23. So that was a useful two pages about Lydon.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X