No announcement yet.

Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just realized that OG Anunoby will turn 20 (July 17) one day before Bam Adebayo (July 18). Another reason to be so high on him. He is the age of a freshman. Lots of time to develop/build his skillset up further.

OG being left out of the green room gives me hope, but I would still be shocked if he falls out of the teens.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• OG is great. If we can get him, we take him and run. If Hartenstein somehow falls (I thought he was mocked in the lottery, guess I was wrong) then he's a fantastic pick. He looks like a great player and could fit really well next to Yak after Ibaka's next contract runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        OG is great. If we can get him, we take him and run. If Hartenstein somehow falls (I thought he was mocked in the lottery, guess I was wrong) then he's a fantastic pick. He looks like a great player and could fit really well next to Yak after Ibaka's next contract runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        hartenstein was projected at the end of the lottery around xmas, after he did well at fiba u20. he doesnt get much PT on his club team.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if Masai will end up drafting (if that player was available there) Kyle Kuzma.

Will be the 3rd year in a row drafting a player out of Utah just because he likes how their program trains them (already familiar playing with Wright and Poetlt).

Comment

• People are hyped on OG, but is that who you guys really want? With his injury he might not be ready to play for another season. Furthermore, his outside shooting form needs some work. If you guys are patient and cool with having him and a guy like Bruno on the roster, great, I wouldn't be upset with him as the pick, but even if he develops, heals and becomes the player he should become, he still doesn't resolve the Raps need for a player who can stretch the floor. He has the potential to be able to switch on defense and jump out of the arena -- that's intriguing.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              People are hyped on OG, but is that who you guys really want? With his injury he might not be ready to play for another season. Furthermore, his outside shooting form needs some work. If you guys are patient and cool with having him and a guy like Bruno on the roster, great, I wouldn't be upset with him as the pick, but even if he develops, heals and becomes the player he should become, he still doesn't resolve the Raps need for a player who can stretch the floor. He has the potential to be able to switch on defense and jump out of the arena -- that's intriguing.
              Drafting a player and expecting them to be a positive contributor in year one, regardless of skill set, is a fool's game. You might get lucky with a Powell type (though it should be noted that his scouting report was that he couldn't shoot the three and it was his greatest strength late in the year in 15-16). But more likely no matter how "NBA-ready" they are they will be a net negative. If they need to shore up the playing rotation, the draft is not the place to look - find a vet for the minimum with a proven shooting track record.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Drafting a player and expecting them to be a positive contributor in year one, regardless of skill set, is a fool's game. You might get lucky with a Powell type (though it should be noted that his scouting report was that he couldn't shoot the three and it was his greatest strength late in the year in 15-16). But more likely no matter how "NBA-ready" they are they will be a net negative. If they need to shore up the playing rotation, the draft is not the place to look - find a vet for the minimum with a proven shooting track record.
                This, the fact that Powell and Poeltl were able to contribute for a playoff team in their rookie year is more of a testament to the coaching staff of both the Raptors/Raptors 905. Raptors are doing a great job developing young players.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I think we'd have to move up a few spots to get og. I think cojo would make some sense in Indiana or Atlanta. That's probably my favourite option. Otherwise, move back to trade Carroll. It doesn't look like there's a player that I'm ecstatic to pick at 23. At the same time, I'm glad we floundered a bit in the regular season bc 23 is better than 27; moving up 5 spots is Iikely easier than moving up 10.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    ...okay... sure, but he might not even contribute on the G-League team next season. This is just me, but if I'm taking a gamble on a player, for a position of need (in the fantasy world where I'm a GM) I'm only taking that gamble if I see a path to how that person would work on the team that I'm constructing OR I have access to his medicals and my staff has a strong idea of how long he's going to take to recover, the likely hood that he will fully recover and where I can trade him in the future.

Definitely not trading up to get someone with a flat shot, who can't practice, is dependent on athleticism, and is injured. Forget the defensive lapses, etc. A lot of those can be coached away. But I would want med records, and an interview AT LEAST. I would want to do a ton of background on the type of kid he is, and if he's willing to do the work to fully recover.

IF he works hard, has a speedy recovery, studies video, fixes that jump shot, follows his rehab properly, gets back into shape, etc. You're probably talking 2 years to even start assessing what he could be. And you already have Bruno taking up a roster spot.

And it's not about Fool's gold. Powell, Siakim, Bebe, ETAL can play because they have one translatable talent and they are older players. Other than Powell, none of them potentially could be stars, but Pascal will give you energy, Delon is long and has a ridiculous Bball IQ, Bebe can shot block and is a solid passer, Poeltl is mobile for his size (and young, but he's a top 10 pick)... Masai can get someone like that -- a player who fills need and has a single translatable skill and potential for some growth, OR, take a huge gamble.

If he's there, and you've seen the medicals, and he's in a higher tier than the guys you're picking from, cool. You don't move up for someone like OG. You don't give up assets to get a player like that. You let them fall to you, give them time-- because you're a playoff team and look like a genius.

Comment

• ESPN is reporting that the Celtics are considering selecting Josh Jackson with the top overall pick in the 2017 draft.

Comment

...okay... sure, but he might not even contribute on the G-League team next season. This is just me, but if I'm taking a gamble on a player, for a position of need (in the fantasy world where I'm a GM) I'm only taking that gamble if I see a path to how that person would work on the team that I'm constructing OR I have access to his medicals and my staff has a strong idea of how long he's going to take to recover, the likely hood that he will fully recover and where I can trade him in the future.

Definitely not trading up to get someone with a flat shot, who can't practice, is dependent on athleticism, and is injured. Forget the defensive lapses, etc. A lot of those can be coached away. But I would want med records, and an interview AT LEAST. I would want to do a ton of background on the type of kid he is, and if he's willing to do the work to fully recover.

IF he works hard, has a speedy recovery, studies video, fixes that jump shot, follows his rehab properly, gets back into shape, etc. You're probably talking 2 years to even start assessing what he could be. And you already have Bruno taking up a roster spot.

And it's not about Fool's gold. Powell, Siakim, Bebe, ETAL can play because they have one translatable talent and they are older players. Other than Powell, none of them potentially could be stars, but Pascal will give you energy, Delon is long and has a ridiculous Bball IQ, Bebe can shot block and is a solid passer, Poeltl is mobile for his size (and young, but he's a top 10 pick)... Masai can get someone like that -- a player who fills need and has a single translatable skill and potential for some growth, OR, take a huge gamble.

If he's there, and you've seen the medicals, and he's in a higher tier than the guys you're picking from, cool. You don't move up for someone like OG. You don't give up assets to get a player like that. You let them fall to you, give them time-- because you're a playoff team and look like a genius.
                        Respectfully disagree.
                        On the medical aspect, we as fans, have no info so gotta trust that if masai picks OG, he has made an informed decision, based on professional assessment.
                        I doubt og will fall past Brooklyn (if that far at all) bc they're in a position to take a risk for talent (see Caris levert). Levert was considered late lottery (based on talent), just as og hovered around top 10 (per DX, prior to injury).
                        Mostly I disagree with you philosophically (BPA vs need/immediate contributor). In this era of super teams, I think we need all the talent we can get. The draft seems the best way (we are capped) and a potential 3&d wing/pf is very coveted and in short supply.
                        As far as immediate contribution/injury, well, there's always gonna be some compromise at 23, otherwise, og would still be in lottery consideration. I'm not expecting the raps to win a chip next yr but og could be a long term solution that improves our outlook. The draft is about the future.
                        Translatable skill. His defense looks translatable. For example, he was fantastic vs Jamal Murray (a premiere NCAA scorer) and generally shown well in this area, across a large enough sample.
                        Work ethic/improvement. His offense did improve from yr 1 to 2 and I've only read positive reports.
                        Conclusion. I totally think we should move up to get him. Imo he's at least one (more likely two) tiers above anyone in our range.
                        I was not on board the semi hype train but I'm shovelling coal on the og hype train. Worst case he's mkg, best case he's kawhi super-lite imo.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                          ESPN is reporting that the Celtics are considering selecting Josh Jackson with the top overall pick in the 2017 draft.

*IF* (and I'm skeptical) Boston drafts Jackson, could set off a massive series of dominoes - means that one of Fultz/Ball will be available at the Sixers' pick at 3, which will increase trade interest for that pick. Earlier rumour had the Kings interested in giving up the #5 and #10 picks to get the #3 pick - let's say Philly says yes to that deal (Ball goes to the Kings - just after they got rid of one player full of off-court distractions, for schadenfreude), with the thought of drafting Fox at #5.

The 76ers would also be picking up another pick in a draft where they already have too many picks, which could mean #10 would then be in play, which could create a flurry of activity as teams in the 'teens' see if they can move up to select a player whom they didn't think would be there at their pick, and could also result in a devaluation of Philly's second round picks (which could be of interest to Raptors, based on the players they brought in to camp), that may be able to be acquired without having to give up #23.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            This, the fact that Powell and Poeltl were able to contribute for a playoff team in their rookie year is more of a testament to the coaching staff of both the Raptors/Raptors 905. Raptors are doing a great job developing young players.
                            Dude, neither of them really had good rookie playoff runs. Poeltl played 26 total minutes this post season, just not enough to be labled a 'contributor'. Powell played more his rookie year (206 min total or 11 min per game), but still had a pretty bad stat line (4 pts on 38 fg% and 27% from 3), with inconsistent defense. He had some key plays in the Pacers series but he was lost after that.

Rookies just don't play well, that's fine, just don't expect them to be good.

Comment

Just because a particular player, in this case OG Anunoby, has not come to Toronto for a workout/interview, does not mean the Raptors have not met with the player and their representatives. Teams generally use the combine to try and interview players they do not anticipate being able to bring in for a workout, and they could have seen a player's medical files on behalf of their agent.

The in city workout/interview is just a small part of the draft process that team's go through.

And in regards to your concerns about OG, I think he clearly comes with an NBA ready skill that could become elite when considering his defense.

The Raptors' also have minimal control/understanding over the team they are building. They could actively try and bring back Lowry, Ibaka, Patterson, and Tucker and all could leave, which would take the Raptors closer towards a rebuild than contention. On the other hand, they could bring back everyone (likely not everyone, but for argument's sake I'm dealing with extremes) and a rookie likely wouldn't see the court.

Team direction should have very little, if not nothing to do with the Raptors' current situation. I'm more than comfortable with Masai trading up for a player if he believes it to be in the best long-term interest of the team. If it takes 23 and Joseph to get into territory for OG or someone else, that's fine. The important thing is the end game.

If Masai believes that OG (or someone else) is the best player available, and the medical staff believes the player will have no long-term injury risks, then I have no issue if that player has to miss their rookie year to recover.
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Masai is gonna draft someone we won't have any clue about (like Bruno and Pascal).

Comment

Working...
                                X