No announcement yet.

Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's fair to say that you can't go wrong with either Ball or Fultz, they both look like future superstars, the one thing that makes me gravitate to Ball is that he is winning wherever he goes. The players he has around him in UCLA are much, much better than Fultz had in Wash, clearly, but still, there is something to be said about the winning (or shall I say losing) record Fultz had in his one season.

The real question for me is; is there any chance the Celtics take Josh Jackson over Lonzo and Fultz? Right now it seems like a hard no, but think about what he would do for that team playing at the three. They have IT and Rozier at PG right now, and while Ball and Fultz may technically be better overall players right now, it is no secret that great wings are a much sparser commodity than great point guards in todays NBA.
    SPECIAL REPORT: March 27th, 2017, it is now confirmed Lebron James has had both his back and his dignity broken by the vicious swinging right elbow of ruthless heavyweight PF and notorious bad-boy David Lee

Comment

• Brian Scallabrine wrote: View Post
      I think it's fair to say that you can't go wrong with either Ball or Fultz, they both look like future superstars, the one thing that makes me gravitate to Ball is that he is winning wherever he goes. The players he has around him in UCLA are much, much better than Fultz had in Wash, clearly, but still, there is something to be said about the winning (or shall I say losing) record Fultz had in his one season.

The real question for me is; is there any chance the Celtics take Josh Jackson over Lonzo and Fultz? Right now it seems like a hard no, but think about what he would do for that team playing at the three. They have IT and Rozier at PG right now, and while Ball and Fultz may technically be better overall players right now, it is no secret that great wings are a much sparser commodity than great point guards in todays NBA.
      Eh to me "winners" in college aren't always great NBA guys. Guys like Kmainsky, Hans, Flynn got picked early cause they were on good teams while Thompson slid a bit cause he was on a bad team. Not saying its a rule, but perhaps people value winning in college a bit too much. It's hard to overstate how bad the rest of Washington's team was. Like they couldn't get a defensive rebound against Yale, much less any anyone else. As a prospect though, Fultz was so good at scoring from anywhere on the court, and had good vision, to make me think he would fit in right away on any team. Easy to love Ball, but he kinda avoids contactand lacks the in between game, which will come but will take a bit. For sure they are both fantastic, but i'd take Fultz.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        Eh to me "winners" in college aren't always great NBA guys. Guys like Kmainsky, Hans, Flynn got picked early cause they were on good teams while Thompson slid a bit cause he was on a bad team. Not saying its a rule, but perhaps people value winning in college a bit too much. It's hard to overstate how bad the rest of Washington's team was. Like they couldn't get a defensive rebound against Yale, much less any anyone else. As a prospect though, Fultz was so good at scoring from anywhere on the court, and had good vision, to make me think he would fit in right away on any team. Easy to love Ball, but he kinda avoids contactand lacks the in between game, which will come but will take a bit. For sure they are both fantastic, but i'd take Fultz.
        Did you go any UW games this yr?

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          Did you go any UW games this yr?
          Yeah i got out to a couple. Honestly pretty brutal to watch aside from when Fultz would take over now and then. Washington just fired their coach too. Great guy, great recruiter, awful coach.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            Yeah i got out to a couple. Honestly pretty brutal to watch aside from when Fultz would take over now and then. Washington just fired their coach too. Great guy, great recruiter, awful coach.
            That was fast; I barely finished lunch.
            I've never been to a college game so I'd happily go watch even one shitty game featuring Fultz.
            Insert Napoleon dynamite "lucky" gif.

Comment

• Brian Scallabrine wrote: View Post
              I think it's fair to say that you can't go wrong with either Ball or Fultz, they both look like future superstars, the one thing that makes me gravitate to Ball is that he is winning wherever he goes. The players he has around him in UCLA are much, much better than Fultz had in Wash, clearly, but still, there is something to be said about the winning (or shall I say losing) record Fultz had in his one season.

You're right, you can't go wrong with either.

As for BOS, it all depends if they were holding out at the trade deadline to try and put more pressure on CHI and IND to let go Butler and PG for their BKN picks or not. If the picks aren't traded then to me it shows a lack of confidence in IT and his ability to lead a team past LBJ, not to mention should they get the #1 overall pick I think Ball would create a lot more attention and excitement around the franchise long term vs keeping IT and hoping to pick up one of Butler or PG. They could technically get both with their collection of assets but sounds like Ainge is being a jack ass and trying to swindle a deal without any picks to which I think both CHI and IND laugh Danny off the phone and Bird damn near bitch smacks him.

If he continues to play "hardball" with them, they might just get tired of Ainge's ridiculous demands, walk away entirely and find another more willing franchise. In which case, personally I think Danny may abandon IT and begin a true rebuild with the load of assets he has anyways. Even if he keeps IT, it's not like he's a distributor. I'm really interested to see which way they go because they can easily abandon the current core when they can bring in one of Fultz or Ball this year and then Porter Jr or Ayton next year and they still have future picks coming from LAC and MEM which turn out fairly good by then as CP3 and Gasol should be fading out by then. It's crazy but really BOS at this point can't really go wrong unless they make awful draft selections over the next couple of years which will be hard to do considering that the top 5 of the next couple of drafts are pretty much can't miss prospects.

Comment

• I think Ball is long enough to play alongside IT in the long term. I doubt they go for a SF, since they went that way last year in the draft.

You would think the Celts would move their pick -- if it's definitely top 3 it should be worth more than its been worth all season.

But it's the Celts.

Comment

• If the Celts are smart, they move down & get Lauri Markannen.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    If the Celts are smart, they move down & get Lauri Markannen.
                    Why?

Comment

Why?
                      Isn't he considered to be the best big man of the draft? The Celts need a big man, most notably a rebounder.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Isn't he considered to be the best big man of the draft? The Celts need a big man, most notably a rebounder.
                        Terrible for any team to draft based on need, especially in the top 5.

I still don't see why Ball wouldn't be a great fit either. Regardless of IT, the Celts still need a distributor which of course Ball is and he will add some more shooting. Don't forget get all the added media attention that Ball will bring that BOS ownership will love. They can either move Horford back to PF next season if they draft Ayton or keep him there and go small ball with Porter Jr.

Although many critics want to bark at Ainge for not trading his picks for Butler and/or George, I'm not sure I blame him. If they just get one of JB or PG then they're still not a true contender. If they do get both they MAY be. Personally I'm still not sure they can beat the Cavs or Warriors....especially since in order to get JB and PG they would need to give up some of their depth. You can be sure some combination of Smart, Brown and Crowder will be gone, then who else to fill out the bench??!

OR

They scrap that idea, IT is still fairly young. Add a player like Ball who projects to change the way a franchise plays to be more in the mold of a Westbrook, Harden, LBJ type of offence that retains that depth and following year adds Porter Jr who looks like an absolute stud SF (who can easily play PF at 6'10) and then you have both of them for a MINIMUM of 7 years and when they join an already winning program good chance of being lifelong Celtics and 2 legit franchise players who would eventually themselves be enough to be championship contenders. The heck with trying to fit around a flawed existing core that arguably is only this good due to an amazing young coach, imagine what he can do with franchise talent.

Comment

I was just curious to know your thoughts.
                          Not sure I see him next to Horford.

Comment

I just don't see Ainge's hurry to fit his TOP picks into this current overacheiving roster.

Like I said in my previous post. Why wouldn't he just wait until next year and draft one of Porter Jr or Ayton?! Both MUCH better players that can legit change a franchise and this year can bring in Ball who will give the Celtics way more attention and also have a greater impact as he will be their distributor. If Stevens can turn a relatively average bunch of players and a previously underrated scorer to 2nd, again imagine how he can mold a team around a couple of franchise talents...

Drafting for need on an overacheiving team would be the biggest mistake. BUT I don't actually see any issue with Markannen's fit next to Horford. Al did play alongside Sap who was capable of stepping out and nailing a 3 and he currently does so with Olynk who is a brokeman's version. Lauri would just allow BOS to be able to shoot the lights out.
                            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I don't get why Boston didn't trade this pick for a big man at the deadline. Instead, they went after Butler & George.... like idiots. Unless they do plan to get Ball & play him next to IT.

Personally, trading down & getting Markannen is smart for Boston. He's a good shooter, would fit their system well & would allow them to let Olynyk go in RFA, clearing up cap space. Either that or they draft Ball and then trade his rights for that rim protector (Maybe Vucevic of Orlando?).
                              Axel wrote:
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              KeonClark wrote:

Comment

• I think you're really overrating the draft Naismith. Yah ball looks great, but you never know. And next year is a total wild card, could be full of great talent, maybe it's a weak draft. We'll have to wait and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X