Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mess wrote: View Post
    Yeah I hear you. I just think if would have used the pick to dump Carroll now, in two years time whatever happiness/benefits the fans/team would have gotten from that move will be less than what they would get from having (a healthy) OG on the roster.
    If they traded og to dump Carroll... I'm jambing qtips in my ear until that thought leaves my brain.

Comment

• So.. let the debate in 2018 over drafting Tadas Sedekerskis vs Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (currently listed 27 and 28 on DX's 2018 mock draft) begin. Either pick could force Charles Barkley to not talk about the Raptors any more on TV because he can't pronounce any of the team members' last names!

I'll also put in a vote for the Raptors to PLEASE not draft Shake Milton out of SMU (listed at #24), simply because Matt Devlin would break records for the number of irritating catch phrases that he'd coin for him during PBP.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
        This is why I called you biased six months ago when you didn't include JV as part of the salary dump strategy in your raps hq article. I agree with you that it should be Demarre. At most I would have attached siakam but that would have been to the Sixers for bell at 39. That didn't happen. JV now moves to the #1 target imo. Keep in mind, JV is a Colangelo guy. Carroll was masai's top free agent. Doesn't look good to attach an asset to dump, especially when his position is hard to replace. Better to hope he has some measure of return to form or that for some inconceivable reason someone takes him with cojo and bebe. One way or the other, we're taking a loss.
        As I noted at the time, the contracts are basically identical and JV is infinitely more valuable to the team on the roster than Carroll, AND probably just as hard to move, so I just used Carroll as the example, though anyone with half a brain could see that JV can plug and play into the scenario.

If they were going to use a pick to shed salary I think they'd have done so at the draft. Probably look to just let both secondary FA's (Tucker/Pat) walk now, unless some team decides they want JV or Carroll on merit (both of which I doubt). CoJo probably gone either way (he could be moved on merit, I think).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Disappointed that we didn't try to grab one of Anigbogu or Evans for next to nothing but getting OG was a complete steal.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If they were going to use a pick to shed salary I think they'd have done so at the draft. Probably look to just let both secondary FA's (Tucker/Pat) walk now, unless some team decides they want JV or Carroll on merit (both of which I doubt). CoJo probably gone either way (he could be moved on merit, I think).
            If Tucker walks, it would be quite a fail for Masai considering he gave up 2 second round picks for 3 months of service.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              As I noted at the time, the contracts are basically identical and JV is infinitely more valuable to the team on the roster than Carroll, AND probably just as hard to move, so I just used Carroll as the example, though anyone with half a brain could see that JV can plug and play into the scenario.

Lol, it bugs you so much to even fathom losing JV that you're still, as you did 6 months ago, playing out every other machinations possible. Doesn't make me half-brain, it makes you bias. You're so enamoured by his offensive efficiency that you deny every other contextual factor: there are two ends of the court, fit, evolution of the game, his development, his intangibles like great loyalty but soft/leadership (especially to anchor a D), and the list goes on. Far outweighs his ts%, Rebs, screens. "Wait for the playoffs" tho, right!?

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                Disappointed that we didn't try to grab one of Anigbogu or Evans for next to nothing but getting OG was a complete steal.
                Yeah, I'm so happy.
                I really have my doubts about anigbogu. He looked clueless in the games that I watched. Evans was a great get for the clips and they got thornwell too. The guy I'm sad about is bell.

Comment

Yeah, I'm so happy.
                  I really have my doubts about anigbogu. He looked clueless in the games that I watched. Evans was a great get for the clips and they got thornwell too. The guy I'm sad about is bell.
                  Yeah I wouldn't go as so far to say I'm sad about Bell but we have a fairly similar player in OG. Both guys have some elite defensive skills with Bell being the better shotblocker and OG is better at getting steals but OG is also 2 years younger and actually the taller/longer player that also showed more shooting potential with substantially better 3pt shooting numbers even in an off year so no big deal from a talent standpoint and it would also be a bit redundant on a team like ours that needs to continue to add some shooting.

However I will say that was an underrated pick up for GS...Bell will help give Draymond and KD a breather on the defensive end which is just further terrible news for the league since that means an even fresher Green and KD.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    If Tucker walks, it would be quite a fail for Masai considering he gave up 2 second round picks for 3 months of service.
                    Not sure I would consider it a fail - both of the second round picks are expected to (hopefully) be in the 50's (this year the Suns picked #54), where it's essentially throwing a dart at the dartboard and getting lucky. Some of the camp guys signed after the draft concluded are likely to be as successful in the NBA as the guys drafted in the 50's.

I think the acquisition of Tucker helped the Raptors refocus their defensive mindset and got them to play closer towards their potential. If you remember prior to the trade deadline, the Raptors were playing pathetic defense, and losing to teams they really should have beaten (Phoenix, Orlando twice etc). No Tucker, and the Raptors likely get embarrassed by the Bucks in the playoffs.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                      I think the acquisition of Tucker helped the Raptors refocus their defensive mindset and got them to play closer towards their potential. If you remember prior to the trade deadline, the Raptors were playing pathetic defense, and losing to teams they really should have beaten (Phoenix, Orlando twice etc). No Tucker, and the Raptors likely get embarrassed by the Bucks in the playoffs.
                      I dont disagree with anything you said but clearly Masai intentions was to keep Tucker beyond that season ( not just a rental) and if he let go due to 'lack of budget' then he shouldnt have done that trade for two reasons.

1) its true that you say that 50 + rankings is usually a shot in the datk but regardless having a draft pick is an asset that can be used elsewhere in a trade to sweeten the pot just like used on PJ Tucker (albeit someone that is staying for the long term).

2) Maybe if they did not get Tucker, they would after all lose to the Bucks (debatable). This would probably create a much more drastic need for changes such as firing coach Casey and trading a few of the bigger assets to kick start a new era or a new "process". If we are essentially putting the same team with the same coach with the only caveat's less ISO's and shooting more 3's then we are not moving anywhere fast and in fact might just slowing down the inevitable demise.

Comment

• LMA is an emotional bitch. If your asking out of San Antonio there's something wrong with you

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            LMA is an emotional bitch. If your asking out of San Antonio there's something wrong with you

Not only he wants out, he accused Spurs of screwing up his game

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              LMA is an emotional bitch. If your asking out of San Antonio there's something wrong with you

I have lost all my respect for LMA. I've never heard anyone wanting out of San Antonio in such a negative way; especially the accusations he has for the organization. Stephen A says LMA believes San Antonio has hampered his game and image. Get the hell outta here.

Comment

Lol, it bugs you so much to even fathom losing JV that you're still, as you did 6 months ago, playing out every other machinations possible. Doesn't make me half-brain, it makes you bias. You're so enamoured by his offensive efficiency that you deny every other contextual factor: there are two ends of the court, fit, evolution of the game, his development, his intangibles like great loyalty but soft/leadership (especially to anchor a D), and the list goes on. Far outweighs his ts%, Rebs, screens. "Wait for the playoffs" tho, right!?
                                see, this might be a talking point except that demarre carroll is terrible at basically every facet of basketball except for making an occasional open shot (and that's even very inconsistent) whereas valanciunas is good in areas and limited in others.

DanH's arguments for JV over carroll only make him biased in the sense that he's biased towards the team having good basketball players over poor ones.

I don't understand why you insist on antagonizing him all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X