How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Have the last two teams to beat Lebron done it with a shotblocker? What a bullshit argument.

They've had elite perimeter defenders who could guard him with minimal help for stretches. If your big has to always come over and help to beat Lebron, you're not beating him. Even Dallas heavily used a zone so they wouldnt leave other guys too open when they helped. LeBron is an elite playmaker and the second holes open up because of defenders helping you're fucked more often than not.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    If management was that preoccupied with stopping Lebron, they would have retained or replaced James Johnson.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
      Sure. Then the answer is trade Demar. Seriously.

You need to be at least somewhat realistic, so people keeping JV on the table as a trade chip are assuming Masai would never trade Demar. But if that were a possibility, I'd have no problem keeping JV and changing our offensive system to revolve around him. That's how you 'maxmize' JV on O (but you'd still want to bring in a solid rim-defending 4 in that case). It's not possible to both maximize JV AND continue playing the same style this team seems to currently be intent on playing.
      I don't think the answer is to trade DeMar at all!

I just think the answer is to ask him to be more engaged. FWIW, Casey agrees with me on this one!

"I told him this summer: He told on himself with the U.S. team, I said, 'How come you can go play for Mike Krzyzewski and play defense but you come here and we have to hide you defensively?'" Casey said. "When he makes the muscle he can get down and guard and defend. That's the growth of DeMar DeRozan, is him saying, 'Let me guard that guy?' And taking it on as a challenge."
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tors/92835626/
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Lets face it, if we want to keep DD, you need a shot Blocker in the Center. If you want to keep JV, you need a better perimeter defender than DD

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

I just think the answer is to ask him to be more engaged. FWIW, Casey agrees with me on this one!

He's never going to be the defender you want him to be; he's not the kind of guy who gets "disengaged" or lazy, I just don't think he has it in him to do much more on that end. Sometimes, you accept that with exceptional scorers. Whether that's the right call with Demar or not, no idea, but it seems to be the one Masai has accepted for now.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
            We got Freddie with the 905 who can step in. As for Noel, I honestly don't like the fit. We need a floor spacer as well as a rim protector.

I feel Bruno might be that guy. He's looked impressive on defence in his 3 games with the 905, has length & can rebound along with block shots. He has lost moments, but I think the time to play him is now, not later.
            Bruno is 21. Noel is 22. I like Bruno but he has no chance of being noel next yr.
            The fit is that he can do things that jv can't. We struggle in this area. Jv or noel would win the job eventually. Hopefully poeltl can play by that time. Then we trade jv or noel to get a stretch 4/3. Either of those guys will facilitate that trade more than cory.
            Weve looked for so long to plug the perfect 4 in and it's hard and would cost a lot of depth. Even a best case like boogie still costs us jv++++.
            Buying noel cheap might help us short term and long term. People were too dismissive from the outset of the noel rumour bc it was not the obvious millsap move. We might consider to look two moves ahead imo.

Comment

These are all reasons NOT to do something. Others are presenting reasons that maybe we SHOULD do something. That's all. You don't have to figure it all out now; in fact, WE don't have to figure it all out at all, since most of what's being discussed as possibilities are remote. But to not do anything because you're scared it may not work out seems a little, um, cowardly for a sports franchise whose only reason for existence (other than to pad the coffers of its owners) is to win a championship.
              I guess I'm in your cowardly category. I'm a Blue Jays fan old enough to have watched the 2 WS championships, followed by 20 years of sheer mediocrity.

I'm going to contrast that with the Sloan/Malone/Stockton Jazz who never won a ship but provided year after year of consistent quality product.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer that Jazz model to that Jays model.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

It's not enough. We need kawhi and draymond level defenders vs Lebron. As close as we can get to that and as many as possible. Demar on his best day does not close that gap defensively.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  I guess I'm in your cowardly category. I'm a Blue Jays fan old enough to have watched the 2 WS championships, followed by 20 years of sheer mediocrity.

I'm going to contrast that with the Sloan/Malone/Stockton Jazz who never won a ship but provided year after year of consistent quality product.

I don't think you can equate the Jays of the late 90s until the last 3 years with how Masai is managing the Raptors. I get the paranoia as a Torontonian used to franchises sucking forever (I, too, watched the Jays win both Series as a university student, and am a Bills fan since the early 80s, for God's sake, so I get it!), but it's not a rational paranoia...
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                    It's not enough. We need kawhi and draymond level defenders vs Lebron. As close as we can get to that and as many as possible. Demar on his best day does not close that gap defensively.
                    Noel isn't close to a 'Kawhi and Draymond' level defender. In fact, those guys just aren't out there in trades.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Yeah, I watched those world series too. Every yr we couldnt get past the A's, the twins once. It was heart breaking. Then we traded my favourite player Tony Fernandez and our best hitter Fred McGriff for alomar and Carter. Alomar blossomed in Toronto and put us over the top. Winning the 92 series was the best toronto sports experience that I've ever had - nothing close to it! Gillick took a big risk.
                      I'd trade that for all the best seasons of raptors since 95. No question.

Comment

• I think it's best to just pretend Sully is out for the rest of the season. Yes, he'll be back at some point, he'll get some minutes, but it's not like you can assume any level of production or dependability and it's pretty much guaranteed he won't be resigned. Can't presume to rely on him for anything.

A healthier Carroll, CoJo resurgence to last year's level and a full season of growth/experience by Pascal is what you can hope for on the defensive end.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Noel isn't close to a 'Kawhi and Draymond' level defender. In fact, those guys just aren't out there in trades.
                          That's why I said as close and as many as we can. There is only one dray or kawhi. You think demars best day even touches noel? Lol. Yeah, demar step up and we're good to go vs Lebron.
                          I'll get the dust pan if you wanna get swept.

Comment

I don't think you can equate the Jays of the late 90s until the last 3 years with how Masai is managing the Raptors. I get the paranoia as a Torontonian used to franchises sucking forever (I, too, watched the Jays win both Series as a university student, and am a Bills fan since the early 80s, for God's sake, so I get it!), but it's not a rational paranoia...
                            Why is it a paranoia to not believe the only thing that matters is a championship?
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              You guys are saying Noel is a difference between beating Cavs or losing to Cavs?
                              No, I think we might not get swept/better chance to get back to ecf.
                              It will take more to compete with lebron but we should consider all routes imo

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                That's why I said as close and as many as we can. There is only one dray or kawhi. You think demars best day even touches noel? Lol. Yeah, demar step up and we're good to go vs Lebron.
                                I'll get the dust pan if you wanna get swept.
                                Here's the thing. Both Golden State and Cleveland run lineups where every single guy on the floor can score easily.

You get to the Finals and have Curry, Klay, KD, and Dray on the floor at the same time against you, where you gonna put DeMar? He HAS to be better to win a title. Period. The rest of the pieces almost don't matter if he can't be better.

Comment

Working...
                                X