Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chefff wrote: View Post
    If he doesn't get offered 14+ I'll eat your shoe.
    FOURTEEN.

Holy. Shit. Lol

When was the last time a player netted a big contract mainly off of +/-?
    Last edited by tDotted; Fri Dec 2, 2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
      FOURTEEN.

Holy. Shit. Lol

When was the last time +/- netted a player a big contract?
      How is +/- netting him a big contract?

Last summer, Mirza Teletovic was 30, coming off a 12pt/4reb season (the first time he's ever even broken 9 PPG), can't defend to save his life, and got 10M per year, just because he's a big who can shoot.

Solomon Hill got 12M per year. He averaged 4 points the previous season, and exploded in the playoffs to the tune of 7 PPG. But, he's a guy who can play the 3 and 4, and he can shoot. So he got paid.

Patterson is a big who can shoot. He's going to get paid. And he'll get paid more than those guys because he's a better rebounder, better defender, better player overall, and younger (than Teletovic, not much older than Hill), AND the cap is going to be higher.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Add in the fact Patterson has stayed healthy as opposed to a guy like Arthur who's prior knee injury has taken away his athleticism.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Only thing that might impact 2Pat's next salary is that there won't be as many teams that have cap space this summer. So it might be harder to try to lure him away from Toronto. But yeah he's like the exact type of guy most teams want on their roster. A big that can shoot and play defense.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            How is +/- netting him a big contract?

Last summer, Mirza Teletovic was 30, coming off a 12pt/4reb season (the first time he's ever even broken 9 PPG), can't defend to save his life, and got 10M per year, just because he's a big who can shoot.

Solomon Hill got 12M per year. He averaged 4 points the previous season, and exploded in the playoffs to the tune of 7 PPG. But, he's a guy who can play the 3 and 4, and he can shoot. So he got paid.

Patterson is a big who can shoot. He's going to get paid. And he'll get paid more than those guys because he's a better rebounder, better defender, better player overall, and younger (than Teletovic, not much older than Hill), AND the cap is going to be higher.
            Teletovic is a very high volume shooter. He made the most threes off the bench ever (!) last season. He wasn't just good, he was lights out.

Solomon Hill got "lucky". The Pelicans were absolutely desperate for a SF. Add in the fact he was only 25 and there you have it. Compare that to what they gave Moore and Jones.

Darrell Arthur is still the most comparable to Patterson. Same age, basically identical stats and he only got 7 a year. If a team is desperate, they'll give Patterson 10/yr but I'm having a hard time figuring out which team that is.

Comment

Teletovic is a very high volume shooter. He made the most threes off the bench ever (!) last season. He wasn't just good, he was lights out.

Solomon Hill got "lucky". The Pelicans were absolutely desperate for a SF. Add in the fact he was only 25 and there you have it. Compare that to what they gave Moore and Jones.

Darrell Arthur is still the most comparable to Patterson. Same age, basically identical stats and he only got 7 a year. If a team is desperate, they'll give Patterson 10/yr but I'm having a hard time figuring out which team that is.
              There will always be bargains to point to - look at us with Sullinger, injury aside - but those are outliers moreso than indicative of the market. Under a soft 106+ mill salary cap, 10 mill is the rough equivalent of the MLE in days gone by.

I would argue that the Raps are in no hurry to bump PP out of his bench role, as we'd love to keep him for less than 10 mill, but he's unrestricted so I wouldn't bet on it.
              Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Dec 2, 2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Again, you are splitting hairs (all three are comparable players on the market), and Arthur is not really that comparable, considering he plays 20 MPG to Patterson's 28-30, and tends to be injured, rather than an ironman the past few seasons.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah maybe, but we're still talking about a guy with a PER of 10 this season and last season. 2014 & 15 Patterson would most likely get big money in this market but I'm not so sure now. We will have to see..

Comment

He's a stretch 4 who plays pretty solid defense, he'll absolutely get somewhere in the $12-17m range. More flawed players than him who play fewer minutes have already gotten paid at the top end of that scale and they aren't even PF's with 3 point range. Teams really, really want forwards with 3 point range and teams have already proven willing to pay $15-17m for BENCH players, nevermind the fact that PP could definitely start on some rosters.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Portland is paying Crabbe $18M+ and Evan Turner $16M+. Even if those were mistakes or partly just to have assets to trade, you figure PP will get a solid offer from someone.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yeah maybe, but we're still talking about a guy with a PER of 10 this season and last season. 2014 & 15 Patterson would most likely get big money in this market but I'm not so sure now. We will have to see..
                        This is the 4th year in a row PPat has better RPM and BPM numbers than Teletovic because he's a better defender, plus he's younger and plays more minutes. PER is much more an offensive stat, with an inability to capture much defensive worth. I will grant that Teletovic is a better floor spacer than Patterson.

On the other hand, Arthur, who you mentioned earlier is no more a floor spacer than Scola was last year. And Scola made more 3's than Arthur at a higher clip. They just don't take enough for defenses to gravitate.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Who the hell is going to give Patterson 10+ mill? Lol
                          Here's a recent excerpt from bill simmons. And this is based on LAST offseason, with the cap leaping again

Even though it’s the same age as Sylvester Stallone, Steven Spielberg and Donald Trump, the National Basketball Association looks better than all of them. Did you know that Ian Mahinmi will make almost $16 million this season … and he’s not even one of the league’s 49 highest-paid players? Hold on, I’ll put that in bold italics.
                          Did you know that Ian Mahinmi will make almost $16 million this season … and he’s not even one of the league’s 49 highest-paid players?
                          Yeah. Welcome to 2017, tDotted. I know it's not the pro sports contracts we're used to...but 2pat could get 15+ without even using an agent
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I think we're missing the point here. If Patterson earns anywhere between $10M and $14M per year then two people have to eat shoes, and no matter what he earns at least one person will. This is a good day.

Also, anyone else like Pascal Siakam in the Everything Pascal Siakam thread? I'm a fan of what he has brought so far, and he is seems to be a quick learner. Hoping that with a shooting coach next summer he can add a consistent catch-and-shoot jumper. Even if it's a mid-range baseline, still a great weapon to start with and build from.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Can someone put a live feed on the day 2Pat signs his next contract? Who wouldn't like to see someone eating a shoe?

Comment

Patterson is gonna get 10M+ easy. Have people not payed attention to the contracts this past summmer?
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X