Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    What evidence do you have, other than opinion, that 905 minutes will slow down development? Norm ran the point down there quite a bit. Bebe played some PF. Couldn't let them do that in game action with the Raps. Pascal can work on his ball handling and extend his range in game action with the 905. No way he would be allowed to dribble around like DeMar or fire away like Ross up here.

Not saying they will do that, but there is actual evidence of helping players diversify their skillsets down there which is a very big part of development.
    I watch a fair amount of D League -- more than I care to admit. I've seen after thoughts turn into NBA players. I've seen prospects speed up their development. I've seen guys fail in the main league, go down to the D League and save their careers. I've never seen a player go from the D-League immediately to a starting lineup on a legit playoff team. Maybe Miki Moore? So it happened once in the history of the league, and Moore had some a fair amount of NBA experience before revamping his career there. That's the history of the league. It doesn't happen. We're talking about 15 years of evidence.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      I watch a fair amount of D League -- more than I care to admit. I've seen after thoughts turn into NBA players. I've seen prospects speed up their development. I've seen guys fail in the main league, go down to the D League and save their careers. I've never seen a player go from the D-League immediately to a starting lineup on a legit playoff team. Maybe Miki Moore? So it happened once in the history of the league, and Moore had some a fair amount of NBA experience before revamping his career there. That's the history of the league. It doesn't happen. We're talking about 15 years of evidence.
      I guess we have a different interpretation of the word "development" . To me it means" improvement of skills and understanding of the game". Nothing to do with stepping into the starting lineup of a legit playoff team.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        I guess we have a different interpretation of the word "development" . To me it means" improvement of skills and understanding of the game". Nothing to do with stepping into the starting lineup of a legit playoff team.
        I don't disagree with you, but that's the way I interpreted the question that was asked. Can Pascal gain from time in the D League? Definitely. Will that time get him to the point of being a competent starter in the NBA? In my opinion, not without additional minutes on the main team. How long? I don't know. Months? A season? If he goes down and next season he's the third PF playing sporadic minutes, that's less minutes of him playing NBA level ball than he's getting now as a starter.

But again, if that's what the Raps have to do to win, I get it.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          I don't disagree with you, but that's the way I interpreted the question that was asked. Can Pascal gain from time in the D League? Definitely. Will that time get him to the point of being a competent starter in the NBA? In my opinion, not without additional minutes on the main team. How long? I don't know. Months? A season? If he goes down and next season he's the third PF playing sporadic minutes, that's less minutes of him playing NBA level ball than he's getting now as a starter.

But again, if that's what the Raps have to do to win, I get it.
          Am I missing something? Pascal is already a competent starter in the NBA. Then, as a rookie, he's going to develop whether he's in our starting lineup or with the 905 - working on different aspects of his game depending on the situation.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Am I missing something? Pascal is already a competent starter in the NBA. Then, as a rookie, he's going to develop whether he's in our starting lineup or with the 905 - working on different aspects of his game depending on the situation.
            No, he's not a competent starter. If he was, he'd play starter minutes. He wouldn't be on the court with Bruno during blowouts. Pascal makes a lot of defensive mistakes. Also, on offense, defenders don't respect him. He has a lot of potential, but he's probably the least experienced PF on a top 10 team in the league.

Furthermore, the only skill he consistently brings is effort. That's a legit great skill, D League would help his growth, but my answer was in context to a particular question. D League minutes alone will not help Pascal develop into a legit starter on the quality of team the Raptors are. Will minutes make him a better player? No doubt, but D League minutes to NBA minutes can not be measured on a 1:1 ratio. The more minutes he can get playing in the NBA, the more he will benefit from in the future.

Comment

Working...
            X