Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Actually, on that note, has anyone else noticed the hilariously terrible play the Raps have run a couple times in the past few games? Not last night but in recent games. JV will get the ball in the post, and right before he makes a move, Carroll will come and set a down screen for some reason, and JV will try to be the ball handler in a mini pick and roll, driving around the pick into the lane. When Carroll's man hedges, JV passes out to the top of the arc (with basically nothing else to do and without the ball handling skills to make a good play on the move) and it inevitably gets picked off by the defence who sees it coming ten miles away.

I thought it was the worst idea I've ever seen on a basketball court the first time they did it and figured it was messed up in execution. Then they did it again the next game and it went exactly the same way.

Here's one time, can't find the other:
    http://stats.nba.com/events/#!/?flag...c*E*Bad%20Pass

I don't understand why anyone would ever want to even try that, let alone try it twice.
    Development reps for JV.

If people want the Raps to play more inside-out through JV, then he's got to learn how to pass out of the post. That was just one simple dribble + kickout as a counter to his predictable, but effective, one dribble + running hook move. Basically, a micro drive & kick.

TBH, it looks more like Lowry or DD didn't move into the available space fast enough. The defense collapsed nicely on JV's move, creating that space, so it wasn't an overly bad idea, necessarlly... just really poor execution. Not as bad as I thought, when first reading your post.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Development reps for JV.

If people want the Raps to play more inside-out through JV, then he's got to learn how to pass out of the post. That was just one simple dribble + kickout as a counter to his predictable, but effective, one dribble + running hook move. Basically, a micro drive & kick.

TBH, it looks more like Lowry or DD didn't move into the available space fast enough. The defense collapsed nicely on JV's move, creating that space, so it wasn't an overly bad idea, necessarlly... just really poor execution. Not as bad as I thought, when first reading your post.
      But he can make that move without Carroll there. Carroll moving in crunches the paint - two defenders on JV without Carroll as an outlet on the strong side, meaning JV basically has just one pass he can make - a pass the defence can see coming.

You want to give him development reps? Give him straight up post plays. Even bigs who are strong ball handlers would struggle in a cramped PnR situation, let alone more traditional bigs like JV.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I hate when guys play injured. It's seems like a common occurrence with the Raptors. DD may have come back too soon two years ago. Lowry and his elbow last year. Carroll and his knee. Now JV and his ankle.

It's a long season and its still early. Just 20 games in. Give the kid a couple of nights off.

Comment

Hey, remember when JV used to use a running hook shot out of the post? Haven't seen that in a while. He seems so passive there, settling for jumpers in post ups. Not sure why - if he's hurt, or just in a funk, or what, but he's just not playing his game.
          There's a pretty direct connection between his getting hurt in the Philly game and a steep fall-off in production. He's pretty clearly not 100%. I suppose it's possible it could be something else but, again, he's been consistently productive all season until the Philly game where he was hurt.

Now that the winning streak is over, I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss a game or two.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            There's a pretty direct connection between his getting hurt in the Philly game and a steep fall-off in production. He's pretty clearly not 100%. I suppose it's possible it could be something else but, again, he's been consistently productive all season until the Philly game where he was hurt.

Now that the winning streak is over, I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss a game or two.
            Might be a good idea to give him some rest even if he's not hurt, just to help him reset. But I agree, he probably is hurt.

Especially with the upcoming opponents - Minny doesn't really have a huge C (KAT is great but more of an all around threat than a paint killer) and BOS doesn't seem to have a player above 6'9 these days. Maybe roll him back out against BOS (that's still three days off and plays into having fresh legs for the back to back) or MIL.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• so far it seems like a common pattern with the cavs. competitive in the first half, and then completely dropping off in the other half.

Comment

Actually, on that note, has anyone else noticed the hilariously terrible play the Raps have run a couple times in the past few games? Not last night but in recent games. JV will get the ball in the post, and right before he makes a move, Carroll will come and set a down screen for some reason, and JV will try to be the ball handler in a mini pick and roll, driving around the pick into the lane. When Carroll's man hedges, JV passes out to the top of the arc (with basically nothing else to do and without the ball handling skills to make a good play on the move) and it inevitably gets picked off by the defence who sees it coming ten miles away.

I thought it was the worst idea I've ever seen on a basketball court the first time they did it and figured it was messed up in execution. Then they did it again the next game and it went exactly the same way.

Here's one time, can't find the other:
                http://stats.nba.com/events/#!/?flag...c*E*Bad%20Pass

I don't understand why anyone would ever want to even try that, let alone try it twice.
                I remember them running this play once in the first few games of the season and it ended up working, but I agree it's a terribly looking play.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I hate when guys play injured. It's seems like a common occurrence with the Raptors. DD may have come back too soon two years ago. Lowry and his elbow last year. Carroll and his knee. Now JV and his ankle.

It's a long season and its still early. Just 20 games in. Give the kid a couple of nights off.
                  Yeah i don't get this either, especially early in the year with a minor ankle injury. I could see them asking him to play through it against Memphis where they need the big body even if he plays badly. Definitely could've sat him against the Lakers and arguably against Atl, but again there maybe they could be worried about Howard's strength down low. He should at least have gotten one of the back to back games off though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Dec 6, 2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Even more obvious when you think the games he visibly struggled the most just moving around were the games immediately after the injury vs MEM and the 2nd night of the back to back vs Atl.

Takes about a couple of weeks to recover so we'll see if he starts looking better by the weekend.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm not jumping the gun just yet. We still don't know what the impact a guy like Sullinger might have on this team. I think it's worthwhile to figure this out before we make any rash decisions about the make up of this team. I love Siakam's effort, but the guy does not cut it as a starter against elite teams. For the most part, we're playing Cleveland fairly closely - this while getting Cleveland's BEST effort, getting the short end of the straw with the whistle, and a few key Raptors playing sub-par.

Side note: I wish the Raptors can just come to terms that they're not gonna get any love with the whistle against darling teams and players. JUST ACCEPT IT. I hate that this bias exists (nobody hates NBA reffing more than me), but it takes energy and time to bitch and complain. They just have to learn to play through it and focus on the next play.

Comment

• Hopefully his poor play is because he isn't 100%. Bit of a noodle scratcher as to why he played the first 11 mins last night though.

Comment

• Game #22: Minnesota Timberwolves 110 - Toronto Raptors 124

Huskies night tonight, very confusing against the Timberwolves.

Probable Starters

Toronto
                          PG - Kyle Lowry
                          SG - DeMar DeRozan
                          SF - DeMarre Carroll (Norman Powell?)
                          PF - Pascal Siakam
                          C - Jonas Valanciunas

Minnesota
                          PG - Ricky Rubio
                          SG - Zach Lavine
                          SF - Andrew Wiggins
                          PF - Gorgui Dieng
                          C - Karl-Anthony Towns

For anyone who recalls my performance tracker from last year (will be debuting this year's version tomorrow after game 22): odds of Raptors winning game = 74%.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• You're da man, Dan.

These Wolves can't play 2nd half(3rd Q particularly). They're one of the worst teams in the NBA. Kinda reminds me of the Raptors from 3 years ago.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              You're da man, Dan.

These Wolves can't play 2nd half(3rd Q particularly). They're one of the worst teams in the NBA. Kinda reminds me of the Raptors from 3 years ago.
                              Yeah. If I manage a win tonight, I'll start including more in the OP for future game threads.

Wolves 3rd Q net rating: -28
                              Raptors' 4th Q net rating: +19

Should be a fun 2nd half.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Finally!

100% chance of a Huskies win tonight. Hope we get free t-shirts or sweaters tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X