No announcement yet.

'The Raptors currently have the best offense in NBA History' - CBSSports.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say it's guaranteed the Lowry + bench lineup would falter quite a bit if you had Siakam there instead of PP. Perhaps a steadier starting lineup would negate losing those almost dependable runs the Extinction lineup provides. Hard to say, fun(ish) to discuss.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
      I'd say it's guaranteed the Lowry + bench lineup would falter quite a bit if you had Siakam there instead of PP. Perhaps a steadier starting lineup would negate losing those almost dependable runs the Extinction lineup provides. Hard to say, fun(ish) to discuss.
      That article about the Warriors death lineup also made the point that they like to use it at specific points in games and to close as opposed to just starting the game off with it and trying to get a big lead right away. Could be part of the reasoning behind us using our own "extinction 2.0 lineup" (The starters with 2Pat instead of Siakam) in a similar way.

Comment

Yeah you want PP to close and I'm not sure anyone is sold on his ability to perform at a high level for the same minutes as KL or DD (35+).

So maybe a part of it is that the 6 (or however many) minutes he sits at the start of the game makes it easier for Casey to ration out his 28-30 minutes of playing time based on the needs of the team each particular night.

Comment

Yeah you want PP to close and I'm not sure anyone is sold on his ability to perform at a high level for the same minutes as KL or DD (35+).

So maybe a part of it is that the 6 (or however many) minutes he sits at the start of the game makes it easier for Casey to ration out his 28-30 minutes of playing time based on the needs of the team each particular night.
          THe counter to that is something that was on the main page a few days ago. By sitting the 1st 6 minutes, his playing time is crammed into 42 minutes rather than spread out over 48. Anyway, it is what it is. Casey is the only one with control over it and there's really no point in getting all worked up about it.

One more thing Mess - that Koreen story was a terrific find. Confirmed a lot of what I suspected in regards to his IQ and even expanded my appreciation for the guy. We keep talking about trading for a "star" PF. I'm not sure we already don't have one.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Since this has recently turned into the (most current) PP referendum, I shall leave this here.

Thanks for posting. Was it Christian who said we won't bringing 2Pat back next year? Yeah..Id bet against it. The common thread everyone says on the team here is that he's extremely tough to replace..
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Another piece with a lot of detail, mostly all mentioned here at one time or another, all in one spot:

We'll see about that video though.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Thanks for posting. Was it Christian who said we won't bringing 2Pat back next year? Yeah..Id bet against it. The common thread everyone says on the team here is that he's extremely tough to replace..
                I remember asking as last years trade deadline approached why almost everyone wanted to trade Patterson. He's almost a perfect fit in our system, but with the league-wide emphasis on spacing, defensive versatility and the ability to switch off screens, he could fit a lot of teams needs.

No wonder Weltman seemed so reticent to answer Koreen's questions. Every positive thing he said is gonna cost a few bucks more.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  I remember asking as last years trade deadline approached why almost everyone wanted to trade Patterson. He's almost a perfect fit in our system, but with the league-wide emphasis on spacing, defensive versatility and the ability to switch off screens, he could fit a lot of teams needs.

No wonder Weltman seemed so reticent to answer Koreen's questions. Every positive thing he said is gonna cost a few bucks more.
                  He is the perfect fit. The true "missing piece", or 3rd all star, would be better suited at Small Forward. Carroll was supposed to be that glue guy they describe. yeah...no.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

He is the perfect fit. The true "missing piece", or 3rd all star, would be better suited at Small Forward. Carroll was supposed to be that glue guy they describe. yeah...no.
                    Can't imagine what SF would be available though. Paul George obviously is the dream and is very tight with DeRozan from what I understand but if he went on the block I feel like we wouldn't be able to field the best offer unless Bird really loves the idea of a JV-Turner frontcourt pairing or something.

Comment

We'll see about that video though.
                      Maybe if you start at the end and watch it backwards it won't piss you off as much.

Comment

I think it was me. I'm still skeptical. Doesn't mean I personally wouldn't bring him back -- I do see his value and all things considered would like to see him stay. I'm pretty sure I said it was unlikely due to the cap. It's interesting; the dude is going to command $15M+ to stay in Toronto, is my baseline guess, but I wonder if he'd get that anywhere else... His exceptional impact may be a factor of our specific lineup...

I admit I have no idea as to PPatt's 'true' free market value...
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                          I think it was me. I'm still skeptical. Doesn't mean I personally wouldn't bring him back -- I do see his value and all things considered would like to see him stay. I'm pretty sure I said it was unlikely due to the cap. It's interesting; the dude is going to command $15M+ to stay in Toronto, is my baseline guess, but I wonder if he'd get that anywhere else... His exceptional impact may be a factor of our specific lineup...

Everyone on the board, except one person, is hoping that he gets more than $12M 😁

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post

Actually we're pretty bad as a group at judging value.

If you look around the league, bigs that can space the floor are in high demand. Then toss in defensive versatility and high IQ. His list of potential fits is pretty lengthy - try to name a team where he wouldn't fit.

His limitation for suitors will be teams with insufficient cap space, greater needs elsewhere or teams like Phoenix that already are having trouble finding playing time for their young stretchy bigs.

Comment

if patterson was a free agent last summer he'd probably get more than 15M. i don't know how things are shaping up this summer league-wide though.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                Actually we're pretty bad as a group at judging value.

If you look around the league, bigs that can space the floor are in high demand. Then toss in defensive versatility and high IQ. His list of potential fits is pretty lengthy - try to name a team where he wouldn't fit.

His limitation for suitors will be teams with insufficient cap space, greater needs elsewhere or teams like Phoenix that already are having trouble finding playing time for their young stretchy bigs.
                                Yeah, but, will he reproduce what he's doing in Toronto anywhere else, given how "fit" is so integral to his value, or is he plug-and-play on any team? That's the question other GMs will be asking themselves, and it's probably a really tough one to answer, given that his individual stats are not exactly mind-blowing.

I love him in Toronto, and it's obvious the players do, too. I guess I'm hoping other GMs might be risk-averse and low-ball PPatt. With Lowry getting the max, it's going to hurt to also pay PPatt what he probably deserves.
                                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X