Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eastern Conference: Who's going to the playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Gonna be some really good WC series again, Spurs are never a sure thing as good as they are bc that conference is insane.

If the Celtics get Jimmy Butler all bets are off.
    It's hard to see the Bulls giving up on Butler ..he is 27...is under contract at an unreal 18/19 $M per year till 2021 and is the prototype SF for the new style of the NBA. For context..Allen Crabbe, Joakim Noah, Ryan Anderson make the same money Jimmy does and Harrison Barnes and Chandler Parsons make a lot more.

Signing Rondo was Kings dumb but it's only one more year. Chicago can get FA's to sign there and they have a potential 1st from the Kings along with their own this year. They can unload salary so they can do a decent reset without losing the star player everyone wants that they already have.

I think Danny Ainge is left at the alter again this deadline and then this all too familiar story starts up yet again at this years draft.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      It's hard to see the Bulls giving up on Butler ..he is 27...is under contract at an unreal 18/19 $M per year till 2021 and is the prototype SF for the new style of the NBA. For context..Allen Crabbe, Joakim Noah, Ryan Anderson make the same money Jimmy does and Harrison Barnes and Chandler Parsons make a lot more.

Signing Rondo was Kings dumb but it's only one more year. Chicago can get FA's to sign there and they have a potential 1st from the Kings along with their own this year. They can unload salary so they can do a decent reset without losing the star player everyone wants that they already have.

I think Danny Ainge is left at the alter again this deadline and then this all too familiar story starts up yet again at this years draft.
      I agree, I suspect most of the chatter is the media really wanting Boston to make that final big move. Bulls and Pacers are both the types of franchises to keep trying to retool around Butler/George rather than tank.

Ainge is holding out for the perfect piece. We'll see if he can get it.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I agree, I suspect most of the chatter is the media really wanting Boston to make that final big move. Bulls and Pacers are both the types of franchises to keep trying to retool around Butler/George rather than tank.

I don't blame either of them. When you have a franchise guy you try and retool as long as possible. Melo is an example of retooling for too long, howevee
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Ainge probably has a picture of Vivek Ranadive and Vlade Divac pinned on a dartboard with a set of darts that he is whipping at that board every couple of minutes as cousins would have fixed their rebounding and interior d problems... You never know though.. Ainge may have tried to lowball Vlade and it blew up in his face...Ainge at times is too smart by half .. this may have been one of those times.

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I don't blame either of them. When you have a franchise guy you try and retool as long as possible. Melo is an example of retooling for too long, howevee
          The Knicks front office is almost as bad as the Kings... They lucked into Porzingis but Phil who is as bad as Vlade as front office exec has just failed miserably to build any kind of depth or development players around those two guys ...Phil has the look of Justin Smoak watching a called strike 3 on a curve as he watches from the sidelines
          - TGO

Comment

• Danny Ainge just took a called strike three. Again.

He lost all the leverage of his expiring contracts and while both the Raps and the Whiz improved themselves he came up a day late and a buck short. Ainge values his players to highly. This is a big miss as now he is going to see his cap space melt quickly having to commit to Bradley and Thomas. He has that pick from Brooklyn but the pick probably won't be as good as a Butler for at least two, maybe three years.

Watched The Verticals podcast and came away that you should never take a word, a sentace, a thought that Brian Scalabrine says seriously. Not even asking him what time it is. An airhead on the same tier as Chris Broussard and a Boston homer on par with Tommy Hiehnson.

Woj says during the wrap that Ujiri in a week has given the Raps what they need to fix their defence and moves them back to being a threat to Cleveland. I like that we got tougher. The legend delivers.

Time to get back on the court
            - TGO

Comment

Danny Ainge just took a called strike three. Again.

He lost all the leverage of his expiring contracts and while both the Raps and the Whiz improved themselves he came up a day late and a buck short. Ainge values his players to highly. This is a big miss as now he is going to see his cap space melt quickly having to commit to Bradley and Thomas. He has that pick from Brooklyn but the pick probably won't be as good as a Butler for at least two, maybe three years.

Watched The Verticals podcast and came away that you should never take a word, a sentace, a thought that Brian Scalabrine says seriously. Not even asking him what time it is. An airhead on the same tier as Chris Broussard and a Boston homer on par with Tommy Hiehnson.

Woj says during the wrap that Ujiri in a week has given the Raps what they need to fix their defence and moves them back to being a threat to Cleveland. I like that we got tougher. The legend delivers.

Time to get back on the court
              Great point. Some soft rookie/prospect minutes are going to be replaced not only by better vets, but by tougher better vets. Just what the team needs and at the greatest positions of weakness, too.

Comment

• The NBA season is fast approaching the ¾ pole and the horses in the East are clearly jockeying for position.

The Lebrons are still out front. They are going to get the benefit of a two ring chasing signings in Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut. That’s the bad news for the east. The good news is that the Cavs roster is still pretty banged up and the new additions are brittle. Still the Lebrons dispatched the dysfunctional Knicks first game out. They in all likelihood finish 1st.

The Chowderheads did nothing at the trade deadline. Long term this may be a good thing or a bad thing. In the short term its probably not optimal as Bradelys Achilles as been slow to heal and the Irish pukes are relying on a superhuman effort by a 5’9” PG every night. Its still going to be hard for the Los Raptors to catch them for 2nd but a win tonight cuts the deficit in the loss column to 3 and the tie breaker goes to the Raps. Can they hold 2nd. 60% chance in favour of them doing so.

The Whiz come out of the break as the hottest team in the East. When your rolling like the Whiz you really don’t want not to come to the court every night. The Whiz improved themselves slightly with Bogdonovic. Can they hang on to 3rd? I would say 30 % chance. The back to back with the Raps looms large. A sweep or a split of the Raps puts them in the drivers seat. Still they are the Whiz and capable of coughing up a hairball . Tonight they start out against the Hinkies who are without Joes Embiid for the 14th time in 15 games. Illyasova is gone and so is Noel. The Whiz get a batting practice fastball to start the drive for 2nd or 3rd and hit it out.

The Raps did very well at the deadline. They got tougher and injected a streak of nasty with Tucker. They essentially swapped out the rookie Siakam as the starting PF and replaced him with Ibaka and provided a pantload of perimeter defense at the 3 and took a load off Carroll. This cost them TRoss who is a loss but made more paltable with the succession plan of Norman Powell in place. Don’t kid yourself the Raps have a lot of ground to make up in 25 games but have the tools now to do it. Can they catch Chowderheads .. 30% chance. Can they catch the Whiz. 70% chance. Are they going to be someone you don’t want to see in the playoffs 100% chance. Lots on the line tonight and with a win against the Celts the Raps begin the race to the finish line in good shape.

The Hawks did some housekeeping mostly at the deadline but also picked up Ilyasova who is a solid pro and is going to help them stay in the hunt for home court. They kick off their break tonight against the surprising Heat who are only a couple of games out of 8th. Expect the Heat to turn into pumpkins as they aren’t a glass slipper team. The Hawks start their run at homecourt with a win at home. Hawks look to be a hair short to me and will wind up 5th with an outside chance for 4th if the Whiz implode.

The Pacers host the Griz after making the smart decision to hold onto their franchise player. That was very smart. Not getting him some help at the swap meet on Feb 23rd wasn’t so smart. The Pacers to me have a 75% chance to make the playoffs but holding on to 6th might take some doing as the Pistons are in the rearview mirror and closing fast. Its not an auspicious start for them as I think the Griz take one from the Pacers on the road.

The Pistons really tried to shop Reggie but found no takers so its Reggie or bust for SVG as he guides the Men from Motown into the final stretch. They started off with a big comeback win over the struggling Hornets who appear to be destined for the lottery. I think they are going to catch the Pacers for 6th and are the likely first round opponents of the Raptors.

The Bulls defy logic. They should be crap. They have an allstar in Jimmy Butler at the 3 and after that they have the shell of Dwyane Wade on a well paid 2 year victory lap and team that can’t shoot the ball in a league that demands that skill. Mirotic can’t shoot at all and they kept him where McBuckets can hit the 3ball and he is gone. Taj Gibson is a solid pro and helped keep a demilitarized zone up between the Wade/Butler and the Rookies. Rondo is an ass who in all likelihood will be bought out. Hoiberg as I have said ad nausem doesn’t have the chops to manage this team .. so….the Bulls have a decision to make. They added a decent PG in Payne at the deadline. It’s a good move as its an upgrade over the two absolute pieces of shit they have now in Rondo and Carter-Williams and they need to deterime if it may be prudent to slide into the lottery in a deep draft and pick up another player. I think the Bulls do that and slip out of the playoff race. We may get an idea of which way this is going to play out as the wretched Suns come into town tonight. A loss to the Suns may signal the raising of the white flag on this season. 80% chance the Bulls finish 9th or lower.

Which leaves one of the Bucks, Heat or Hornets to take the 8th and last slot for the right to be punked by the Lebrons in round 1. Odds are that the Hornets somehow find a way. The Bucks have lost Parker for the year and have a future 2nd round pick to show at the deadline for short term help. The Heat did nothing and seem to be content to ride the season out as is and bring what it may. They can use the lottery pick as they have traded away 2 future firsts for Dragic. So by default that leaves the Hornets. Either way the 8th place east team will have as many fleas as the 8th place west team.

Sweeping up after the horses in the parade are the Hinkies and the Nets. The Nets will suck to the end as they just don’t have any talent but they have set themselves up for a good offseason. They have two firsts in the 20’s this year and could conceivably add a 3rd 1st round pick if they trade Lopez at the draft. Then only one more year in hell before they regain control of their destiny. Sean Marks is looking like a great hire. The Hinkies are still trusting the process. Its going to be year 6 and at some point the good burghers of Philly are going to awaken to the realization that after 6 years wandering in the wilderness they might still be having to trust the process for another 3 or 4 years till they get back to even pseudo contenders.
                - TGO

Comment

The NBA season is fast approaching the ¾ pole and the horses in the East are clearly jockeying for position.

The Lebrons are still out front. They are going to get the benefit of a two ring chasing signings in Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut. That’s the bad news for the east. The good news is that the Cavs roster is still pretty banged up and the new additions are brittle. Still the Lebrons dispatched the dysfunctional Knicks first game out. They in all likelihood finish 1st.

The Chowderheads did nothing at the trade deadline. Long term this may be a good thing or a bad thing. In the short term its probably not optimal as Bradelys Achilles as been slow to heal and the Irish pukes are relying on a superhuman effort by a 5’9” PG every night. Its still going to be hard for the Los Raptors to catch them for 2nd but a win tonight cuts the deficit in the loss column to 3 and the tie breaker goes to the Raps. Can they hold 2nd. 60% chance in favour of them doing so.

The Whiz come out of the break as the hottest team in the East. When your rolling like the Whiz you really don’t want not to come to the court every night. The Whiz improved themselves slightly with Bogdonovic. Can they hang on to 3rd? I would say 30 % chance. The back to back with the Raps looms large. A sweep or a split of the Raps puts them in the drivers seat. Still they are the Whiz and capable of coughing up a hairball . Tonight they start out against the Hinkies who are without Joes Embiid for the 14th time in 15 games. Illyasova is gone and so is Noel. The Whiz get a batting practice fastball to start the drive for 2nd or 3rd and hit it out.

The Raps did very well at the deadline. They got tougher and injected a streak of nasty with Tucker. They essentially swapped out the rookie Siakam as the starting PF and replaced him with Ibaka and provided a pantload of perimeter defense at the 3 and took a load off Carroll. This cost them TRoss who is a loss but made more paltable with the succession plan of Norman Powell in place. Don’t kid yourself the Raps have a lot of ground to make up in 25 games but have the tools now to do it. Can they catch Chowderheads .. 30% chance. Can they catch the Whiz. 70% chance. Are they going to be someone you don’t want to see in the playoffs 100% chance. Lots on the line tonight and with a win against the Celts the Raps begin the race to the finish line in good shape.

The Hawks did some housekeeping mostly at the deadline but also picked up Ilyasova who is a solid pro and is going to help them stay in the hunt for home court. They kick off their break tonight against the surprising Heat who are only a couple of games out of 8th. Expect the Heat to turn into pumpkins as they aren’t a glass slipper team. The Hawks start their run at homecourt with a win at home. Hawks look to be a hair short to me and will wind up 5th with an outside chance for 4th if the Whiz implode.

The Pacers host the Griz after making the smart decision to hold onto their franchise player. That was very smart. Not getting him some help at the swap meet on Feb 23rd wasn’t so smart. The Pacers to me have a 75% chance to make the playoffs but holding on to 6th might take some doing as the Pistons are in the rearview mirror and closing fast. Its not an auspicious start for them as I think the Griz take one from the Pacers on the road.

The Pistons really tried to shop Reggie but found no takers so its Reggie or bust for SVG as he guides the Men from Motown into the final stretch. They started off with a big comeback win over the struggling Hornets who appear to be destined for the lottery. I think they are going to catch the Pacers for 6th and are the likely first round opponents of the Raptors.

The Bulls defy logic. They should be crap. They have an allstar in Jimmy Butler at the 3 and after that they have the shell of Dwyane Wade on a well paid 2 year victory lap and team that can’t shoot the ball in a league that demands that skill. Mirotic can’t shoot at all and they kept him where McBuckets can hit the 3ball and he is gone. Taj Gibson is a solid pro and helped keep a demilitarized zone up between the Wade/Butler and the Rookies. Rondo is an ass who in all likelihood will be bought out. Hoiberg as I have said ad nausem doesn’t have the chops to manage this team .. so….the Bulls have a decision to make. They added a decent PG in Payne at the deadline. It’s a good move as its an upgrade over the two absolute pieces of shit they have now in Rondo and Carter-Williams and they need to deterime if it may be prudent to slide into the lottery in a deep draft and pick up another player. I think the Bulls do that and slip out of the playoff race. We may get an idea of which way this is going to play out as the wretched Suns come into town tonight. A loss to the Suns may signal the raising of the white flag on this season. 80% chance the Bulls finish 9th or lower.

Which leaves one of the Bucks, Heat or Hornets to take the 8th and last slot for the right to be punked by the Lebrons in round 1. Odds are that the Hornets somehow find a way. The Bucks have lost Parker for the year and have a future 2nd round pick to show at the deadline for short term help. The Heat did nothing and seem to be content to ride the season out as is and bring what it may. They can use the lottery pick as they have traded away 2 future firsts for Dragic. So by default that leaves the Hornets. Either way the 8th place east team will have as many fleas as the 8th place west team.

Sweeping up after the horses in the parade are the Hinkies and the Nets. The Nets will suck to the end as they just don’t have any talent but they have set themselves up for a good offseason. They have two firsts in the 20’s this year and could conceivably add a 3rd 1st round pick if they trade Lopez at the draft. Then only one more year in hell before they regain control of their destiny. Sean Marks is looking like a great hire. The Hinkies are still trusting the process. Its going to be year 6 and at some point the good burghers of Philly are going to awaken to the realization that after 6 years wandering in the wilderness they might still be having to trust the process for another 3 or 4 years till they get back to even pseudo contenders.
                  Faces matter. Don't forget we haven't beat Bulls in 3 years. March 21 is huge for us.

Comment

• ^^^ Great write up DS, love the euphemisms for The Most Racist City in America, just wanted to point out that "the Los Raptors" has the sort of definite article redundancy that keeps Mickey Blue Eyes awake at night.

Comment

• Raptors are 1 game back of the Wizards for third, and could conceivably overtake them prior to the back-to-back match up. Wizards play Utah and Golden State prior to the anticipated meeting, while the Raptors get Portland and the Knicks.

Wizards have 10 games left at home, and 16 left on the road (they're 24-7 at home, but 10-15 on the road). Included in the remaining games are two games with the Warriors, one game in Cleveland, two games against Utah, and a game against the Clippers out west. They also play the second night of a back to back against Denver, in Denver. So not the easiest games down the stretch for the Wiz.

Not to be forgotten are the Atlanta Hawks, who sit 1.5 games back of the Raptors. 12 games remaining at home, and 12 games on the road (Hawks also don't have a big swing between home and away record *insert snarky comment about size/voice of Atlanta crowd here*). However, they have two meetings remaining with Boston, three with Cleveland, one with Golden State, and one with San Antonio.

Comment

• So its a lazy Sunday afternoon and its time to put to paper so to speak tonights games that matter in the race to the playoffs in the East...

The Raps took care of business on Friday dispatching Boston in both teams first game back from the AS break and the Whiz inexplicably shit the bed by losing to the Hinkies on the road. The Hawks have also stumbled out of the gate losing two and its becoming clear that the great Kyrie Irving simply rides the coat tails of Lebron as he dropped the ball as the Cavs, sans Lebron lost to the nocanshoot Bulls at home.

Phoenix visits Milwaukee It looks like the white flag is being raised in the land of Laverne and Shirley. Parker is out for the year. The Bucks didn't do anything at the deadline and seem to be content to slide into the lottery with the intent of adding a quality player in the 12 range in whats a deep draft. The Suns too are stockpiling picks and draft position but Devin Booker should be able to light up Milwaukee to a point that the offesnively challenged Bucks can't overcome. Suns win.

Utah plays in DC The Whiz lost to the Hinkies on the road. Yes its hard to win on the road anywhere but the Hinkes sat Embiid and had traded Illyasova and Noel. Not exactly a powerhouse is it. Yet the Hinks won. Tonight the Whiz get to take on the Jazz who have legit designs on 3rd int the West. Look for the steady George Hill to hold John Wall in check and Rudy Gobert to make life tough inside for the Polish Hammer. Hayward puts up a workmanlike 20 point and the Jazz take one on the road from the Whiz.

Blazers in the Tdot Great backcourt matchup on preview tonight in Toronto. Edge to the Blazers in this one with no Lowry but its not enough to overcome the huge front court edge the Raps carry into tonights game. The adrenalin rush of first game for a new team wears off but the Raps win tonight as both Ibaka and Tucker start to learn the schemes and who is going to be where when. Doesn't hurt Ppat is back either. Raps W and the ball begins to start to roll downhill for them.

Chowderheads in Detroit Isiah Thomas has been practicing saying "pew-pew" with his finger gun as he gears up from getting his ass handed to him by Joseph and Tucker. Its all Boston has and if he gets contained the Celts struggle on offense with no Bradley and it appears to be another no Bradley night. The Pistons are finally over the playoff Mendoza line at 8 and with a win can close to within a game of the pacers. Reggie has something to prove to Stan.. Drummond will clean up on the glass as Bostons rebounding is poor and the Pistons win one at home and the Chowderheads front office have to start to think maybe they should have added a rebounding big at the deadline.

Hornets at the Clips My pick for the last team in to the playoffs in April starts a west coast swing on Oscar night in LA. Can the Hornets Kemba Walker upset Chris Paul in the best under 6 foot point guard category ? Can whichever Zeller it is dominate the best rebounding category over DeAndre Jordan ? Can firs time nominee Frank the Tank Kaminsky win the award over 5 time nominee Blake Griffin ? No. Clips win. Hornets do live to fight another day.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Do you always pick the Celtics to lose?
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                            Do you always pick the Celtics to lose?
                            Only on days that end in y and if they aren't playing the Hinkies or Nets or Lakers on days that do end with a y.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Feb 26, 2017, 07:15 PM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Loving your write ups DS keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only on days that end in y and if they aren't playing the Hinkies or Nets or Lakers on days that do end with a y.
                                Might have to drop the Hinkies off that list starting as soon as next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X