View Poll Results: Which 6 make the dance in April ?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Celtics

    37 100.00%
  • Hornets

    30 81.08%
  • Pistons

    16 43.24%
  • Wizards

    11 29.73%
  • Knicks

    15 40.54%
  • Bulls

    29 78.38%
  • Bucks

    24 64.86%
  • Hawks

    29 78.38%
  • Magic

    1 2.70%
  • Pacers

    26 70.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 830

Thread: Eastern Conference: Who's going to the playoffs?

  1. #141
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    The painful realization that we had 26 losses ALL YEAR last year and we're at 21 NOW.





    We'd need to go 26-5 the rest of the way to match last year's record...
    I'm less worried about the W/L than 1) getting guys healthy and back on the court, then 2) tightening things up again so we see the team from December rather than the team from January leading up to the playoffs. Do that and I'd take the Raptors in the first two rounds over any of BOS/ATL/WAS/IND. The only team that seems to have Toronto's number for some reason is the Bulls, but maybe they're already dismantling by the trade deadline. They're still a team the Raptors should be able to beat.

    Big picture the story hasn't changed - this team still needs another legit star to be a contender, until that happens we're going to be talking about scrapping with the other second tier teams until the cows come home. Stay the course and keep angling for that big move.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  2. #142
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    A hiatus to battle network delivery is now ovah !

    With one of your two best players on the shelf, one of your next best 3 players also hurting and your backup point guard inexplicably having a terrible season its no mystery why the local heroes have done the doggie slide in the last little while. However a tumble from second to tied for 3rd is not a case for seppuku.

    Is Boston as good as the 7 game win streak says they are ? Are the Raptors as crappy as those two loses to Orlando make them look ? Are the Whiz going to finish in the top three slots? Are the Hinkies going to finish higher than 14th? In a word. No.

    On to tonights games in the shaping of the East Playoff…...

    Lakers at Knicks Wet horseshit meets dry horseshit and its in the Mecca. Go with the “dry horseshit ” Knicks as they are at this juncture miraculously only a game and half out of 8th while the leagues second most inept executive attempts to trade his best player for pennies on the dollar. What if the the Lakers aren't outright tanking and perhaps are just crappy. How the mighty have fallen. Knicks win.

    Lebrons in DC The Lebrons seem to have patched the hole in the bow of the good ship Cleveland. After losing 6 of eight the Lebrons have won 4 of 5. Not bad but the Whiz have been better. They are really playing well and have moved from the bottom of the pack all the way up to the 2nd tier in the East. In what could be a 2nd round preview the Lebrons send a message to the on the Whiz’s on their homecourt. Lebrons win.

    Russell s vs Pacers Pacers have won the last 6 in a row (3 of em were on the road !! ) and have suddenly appeared in the rearview mirror of the Raps n Celts n Whiz and Hawks. Paul George is playing really well and the Pacers have maybe found their footing just past the halfway mark. Coming into Indy are the Russells who are in a dogfight in the west and can finish anywhere from 4th to 7th. Its Paul George vs the Selfless Humble Russell Westbrook. Should be a good one. Indy makes it 7 in a row.

    Clips at the Raps Clips come into town on a B2B the same as the Raps. The Raps are getting the home end of the B2B and that’s worth something. DD might be back and maybe Ppat as well . The Clips meanwhile come in without Chris Paul and that’s like the Raps being without Lowry. Raps seem to be pulling back on the stick and are pulling out of the dive. Nice timing as they start to get some of their players back. Raps make it two in a row.

    Jazz at the Hawks Jazz have caught the Clips and now hold down home court out west. The Hawks after that tidy 7 game win streak are on a win one lose one track. Hawks are at home but the Jazz are a little faster a lot bigger and have more talent. Jazz win one in front of the crowd at Phillips Arena who will be wearing black armbands after the other birds of prey from Atlanta coughed up a hairball in the 4th Q and blew the Super Bowl.

    Hinkies in Motown The Pistons have clawed their way back into the hunt and are tied for 8th with the Hornets and are half game up on the Bucks. They aren’t much better than they were 2 or 3 weeks ago as its just that the pack of teams who inhabit the 7 through 10 seeds have pretty much come back to them. The Hinkies after a scorching run to 12th have returned to form and have settled back to 14th. It was a glorious 2 week run. Pistons need it more and are at home. Detroit kicks Philly to the curb where the Hinkies front office continues to scour the draft reports getting ready for June.

    Bulls at Sacto. Hard to believe but the gold standard for dysfunction, the Sacramento Kings, are meeting a team that is even more screwed up than they are. The Bulls roll into town with Jimmy Butler on the limp with a heel injury. There are stories about a front office spy in the Bulls dressing room. Jimmy is warning people about this. As if GarPax needed a spy to tell them the dressing room is a bit divided between Wade/Butler and the rookies. The Kings still have a shot out West for the 8th seed and Boogie is playing well. He doesn’t have much help but if Butler is 70% healthy or is DNP - CD he won’t need it. Kings in an upset.
    5 and 2...


    Maybe there is something to the Paul George musings that there are Big Market Team calls...For the second game between these two dysfunctional teams the smaller market team took it in the teeth when a call mattered. Last time out Wade got a gift call on a missed dunk from the grey shirts and it cost Sacto the game and in this one Boogie gets looked off by the zebras on a 3. Ah the NBA..always mired in officiating conspiracies.

    In the battle of east and west coast turds..I picked the wrong stool. Still the Knicks are not out of it. What is out in Gotham are the knives. Just another season in the Mecca.


    Only one game tonight....The Hornets host the Nets...With the win the up and down Hornets move into a tie for 8th.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Feb 7th, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

  3. #143
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just imagine some of the debate had Lebron's missed layup (prior to the buzzer beating 3) had gone in - he clearly travelled, and video shows that the near sideline official had an unobstructed view of the approach.

  4. #144

  5. #145
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not sure where to post this but it's as good a spot as any. Day or so ago my favourite CBS lameass Matt Moore wrote an article on the inevitability of the Whiz getting to the ECF. This after a " good loss" to the Lebrons. A loss. But a good one. Hard to figure that. Matt trots them out as he needs them to fit his narrative or provide an ephemeral link to his long term theme of the day predictions.

    I often wonder how long this dunderhead's attention span is. I think it rivals that of a 4 year old. This is the same team he shovelled dung on as little as 3 months ago as being a candidate to be blown up and hit the reset button. This Whiz team is the same one that last year finished way up the track. In a year and a half they have cobbled together one solid streak of good play and it's been over the last six weeks. Hot..for sure. Legit contender....let's revisit in a couple of months.

    Ah Matt and his ability to use perspective...reminds me of a drunken frat boy chasing anything in a skirt just before last call.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/wh...-are-for-real/
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Feb 7th, 2017 at 07:30 PM.

  6. #146
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Not sure where to post this but it's as good a spot as any. Day or so ago my favourite CBS lameass Matt Moore wrote an article on the inevitability of the Whiz getting to the ECF. This after a " good loss" to the Lebrons. A loss. But a good one. Hard to figure that. Matt trots them out as he needs them to fit his narrative or provide an ephemeral link to his long term theme of the day predictions.

    I often wonder how long this dunderhead's attention span is. I think it rivals that of a 4 year old. This is the same team he shovelled dung on as little as 3 months ago as being a candidate to be blown up and hit the reset button. This Whiz team is the same one that last year finished way up the track. In a year and a half they have cobbled together one solid streak of good play and it's been over the last six weeks. Hot..for sure. Legit contender....let's revisit in a couple of months.

    Ah Matt and his ability to use perspective...reminds me of a drunken frat boy chasing anything in a skirt just before last call.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/wh...-are-for-real/
    New coach this year. Pretty much the entire Wizards fan base felt that Randy Wittman needed to be replaced.

  7. #147
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm really getting tired of some of the NBA's old man opinions aka cheap shots at players via the media. Glad the Raptors org is running with class and just being...functional.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  8. #148
    Raptors Republic Superstar Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    I'm really getting tired of some of the NBA's old man opinions aka cheap shots at players via the media. Glad the Raptors org is running with class and just being...functional.
    That really is true. When you've been a fan for a while you realize that stable and smart management can be as important as player talent (and often lasts longer)

  9. #149
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    That really is true. When you've been a fan for a while you realize that stable and smart management can be as important as player talent (and often lasts longer)
    The San Antonio Spurs model... Popovitch and RC Bufford have been around forever.
    Dolan has changed his management team it seems every 2 or 3 years.

  10. #150
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lots of games tonight in the Playoff two step.

    Lebrons go to Indy Cleveland has righted the ship. Lebron is distancing himself on trade talk around Carmello. Indy has put up 7 game win streak as Paul George is playing really well. LBJ vs PG13.... Teague vs Irving.... Love vs Thad... Thompson vs Turner... Pretty decent matchups but the edge goes to the lebrons and the Indy win streak breaks at 7.

    Denver visits Atlanta Atlanta is win one lose one and they lost the last one. Denver currently holds the eighth seed in the west and the right to be smoked by GSW.. still.. the Nuggets are worthy of the post season. Both teams are rested. Dwight will be challenged tonight as Jokik will take him away from the paint. Denver needs it more and steals one in Phillps as the Nugs take a win on the road.

    Lakers in Motown Detroit and Charlotte in a dead heat for 8th. Pistons have to win the ones they are supposed to and the Lakers are a supposed to win. Caldwell Pope , Harris and Morris will put enough points on the board for a win as SVG guys start to show on the court that the lineup on paper is playoff material.

    Whiz at the Nets The Whiz are great at home but limp on the road. It doesn't matter when your visiting the eastern doormats. Whiz win

    Heat at the Deer The Heat are 11 straight wins. The Bucks are no where near the wins that sports An-tecaka^%bvse-po and Parker in the starting 5. The Heat aren't 11 in a row good and the Bucks aren't .400 winning percentage bad. Take the Bucks as the longest active win streak ends for the Heat in Milwaukee and the Bucks look to stay close to the Pistons.

    Raps into Minny The old tag line.. Things go better with Coke ... works for the Raps as things go better with Demar. With the second double-mint twin of the Raps backcourt back from injury defenses can't double Lowry and make life miserable for the offense. Some of the RR faithful believe Demar is responsible for all the ills of the Raps offense but a sense of normalcy returns. Raps are up very good offensive team in Minny but their defense is pretty poor. Raps grind out a road win.

    Clips in New Yawk The Clips without Chris Paul are a pretty ordinary team. Griffin is effective but not the force he is when Paul is getting him the ball. The Knicks just lost to the freaking Lakers and the knives are out. Targets are Phil and Carmelo. The distractions are getting to be to much for the Knicks to overcome. The Clips get by the Knicks tonight.

    Bulls into Oracle The Warriors should be home and cooled out by the 3rd.

    Celtics take on the Boogieless Kings Boogie picked up his 16th tech and gets to sit a game. It gets better. Issiah Thomas was unceremoniously dumped by the Kings front office a couple years back so that should have him amped up. Not to much looking good for Vlade's boys. Celts start the western roadie with a win in Sacramento.

  11. #151
    Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting perspective: we're one game out of being the eighth seed in the west.

  12. #152
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Interesting perspective: we're one game out of being the eighth seed in the west.
    Its packed pretty close isn't it. Still lots of ball to be played. FWIW I still think they finish 2nd or 3rd. Which is still above where the CBS/TNT/ESPN cognoscenti had them landing.

    Whats different this year is that for the first time the focus is on Weltman and Ujiria to upgrade the depth chart or not.

    Patrick Paterson is hurt. You don't miss as much time as he has and not think this is something thats worrisome and at present the depth behind him is not going to get it done in the playoffs. Pascal has given what he has and for a late 1st round pick its not bad but its not going to be enough in the playoffs. Team would be asking too much of him. Demare Carroll is coming around but at 210LB he can't play the 4 for major minutes. He isn't physically big enough. Sullinger is still rounding (no pun intended) into shape. Still its an unknown what he is going to bring to the party.

    So the focus should be on the GM and the AGM to bring in some help at the 4/Wing. Prices for help may be higher than MU wants to pay but thats the cost of doing business in the NBA.

    The East is pretty wide open.
    Cleveland is good but they have holes in their lineup as well.
    Boston is good but they completely rely on IT putting up a superhuman effort every game.
    The Whiz are suddenly relevant but John Wall is just as capable of choking (remember those missed FT with the game on the line) as he is of showing why he is the number 1 pick in his draft year. Brad Beal is brittle and so far has avoided injury. BUt history says he is going to get nicked up again.

    Its MU time. Cursory view is that the depth at the 4 isn't sufficent given injury and current personnel.
    So .. the cautious Ujiri is at a fork in the road. Inject some help.. or stay the course.

  13. #153
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  14. #154
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Going into the season, the easiest way to get to the ECF (for any team, not just the Raptors) seemed to be to avoid the bracket with the Cavaliers. With the Love injury above (stating 6 weeks recovery - there are only 8 weeks or so left in the season), wondering if you want to face the Cavaliers earlier in the playoffs rather than later, as Love may not yet be back with the team and/or not back into game shape.

  15. Like Scraptor liked this post
  16. #155
    Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    Going into the season, the easiest way to get to the ECF (for any team, not just the Raptors) seemed to be to avoid the bracket with the Cavaliers. With the Love injury above (stating 6 weeks recovery - there are only 8 weeks or so left in the season), wondering if you want to face the Cavaliers earlier in the playoffs rather than later, as Love may not yet be back with the team and/or not back into game shape.
    Good points. But it's really hard to angle for position like that.

    I think focus all our effort into securing as much home court as possible while also managing minutes as best we can. Tough task for Casey but we're definitely better equipped now for the challenge.

  17. Like DanH, S.R. liked this post
  18. #156
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Its packed pretty close isn't it. Still lots of ball to be played. FWIW I still think they finish 2nd or 3rd. Which is still above where the CBS/TNT/ESPN cognoscenti had them landing.

    Whats different this year is that for the first time the focus is on Weltman and Ujiria to upgrade the depth chart or not.

    Patrick Paterson is hurt. You don't miss as much time as he has and not think this is something thats worrisome and at present the depth behind him is not going to get it done in the playoffs. Pascal has given what he has and for a late 1st round pick its not bad but its not going to be enough in the playoffs. Team would be asking too much of him. Demare Carroll is coming around but at 210LB he can't play the 4 for major minutes. He isn't physically big enough. Sullinger is still rounding (no pun intended) into shape. Still its an unknown what he is going to bring to the party.

    So the focus should be on the GM and the AGM to bring in some help at the 4/Wing. Prices for help may be higher than MU wants to pay but thats the cost of doing business in the NBA.

    The East is pretty wide open.
    Cleveland is good but they have holes in their lineup as well.
    Boston is good but they completely rely on IT putting up a superhuman effort every game.
    The Whiz are suddenly relevant but John Wall is just as capable of choking (remember those missed FT with the game on the line) as he is of showing why he is the number 1 pick in his draft year. Brad Beal is brittle and so far has avoided injury. BUt history says he is going to get nicked up again.

    Its MU time. Cursory view is that the depth at the 4 isn't sufficent given injury and current personnel.
    So .. the cautious Ujiri is at a fork in the road. Inject some help.. or stay the course.
    Price paid was reasonable... a 20 something draft pick in the first round and a player who can shoot the 3 ball with some upside left in him.

    Both assets come from positions of strength. Powell now gets to show his stuff more than 12 minutes a game every now and again and the team already has 4 players with 2 or less years in the NBA plus the ongoing project Bruno. There isn't room for two more draft picks.

    The potential Hindenburg that was on the horizon looks to be avoided.

    Two games tonight.

    Raps vs Bulls


    Lebrons in Minny Love is hurt and out for a couple of months leaving Lebron and Irving to take on the improving Timberpups. Wiggins generally gets up for the Cavs and plays well and the Pups are at home. Upset ? Nah.. Lebrons take out the Pups.

  19. #157
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,745
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post

    A loose body? I hate when that happens, did he kill somebody and store it there?
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  20. #158
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,745
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is this the unofficial scoreboard watching thread down the stretch?

    On all star game eve, both games are important to us. Washington with an 11 pt lead @ Indiana 3rd quarter In a quest to prove they've turned a corner at home and road.

    Boston also winning in a tighter affair at Chicago
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  21. #159
    Raptors Republic All-Star Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    #FuckBoston

  22. #160
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Is this the unofficial scoreboard watching thread down the stretch?

    On all star game eve, both games are important to us. Washington with an 11 pt lead @ Indiana 3rd quarter In a quest to prove they've turned a corner at home and road.

    Boston also winning in a tighter affair at Chicago
    It is..
    We get a week long respite and then its what... 25 games apiece or so down the stretch ?
    Every game will be important ...

    and agree with RJ #FuckBoston

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •