Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Lowe Post Podcast - Raptors Focused! 12.28.2016

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    9,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Millsap is expiring. No way would the Raps trade their top players for him. And I doubt there would be much market for him from rebuilding teams with high picks and good prospects, as he'd be unlikely to re-sign there.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote meductic wrote: View Post
    I might be off on this but when trading for the best player on another team in the category of PG or Milsap, and to a lesser extent Cousins or Whiteside, it would seem to me that the return would have to be at least one of our 2 top players. Otherwise don't you just go directly to Boston or Philly to start working on the future. I mean you are not trading PG for Powell or Ross, and I don't think we can trade them both even if it could work. Well for PG maybe. But to get a third difference maker we will probably have to give up a difference maker, and according to those advocating this route that player is neither JV or Carroll, and not Patterson without major pieces. Otherwise I am sure Masai spends 24 hours a day trying to figure out how to get around how to get the third piece without making the team worse. At least Noel is somewhat more realistic and intriguing on the trade end, the dispute there being more over what you are getting, and do you really want to have to deal with 3 free agent bigs next year after giving Lowry the max?
    I believe that PG and Cousins would lose their designated player exceptions if they were traded.

    So, they would be pissed. And their agents would be pissed.

    The new CBA makes it really hard for top players to change teams after their rookie contracts.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OakTree wrote: View Post
    I believe that PG and Cousins would lose their designated player exceptions if they were traded.

    So, they would be pissed. And their agents would be pissed.

    The new CBA makes it really hard for top players to change teams after their rookie contracts.
    So..Wiggins and Towns for the timber puppies....
    Who do you designate?

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    9,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    So..Wiggins and Towns for the timber puppies....
    Who do you designate?
    You get two.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    You get two.
    In a word.....Shit...

    Have to put my Local Boy Comes Home banner back in the garage
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jan 1st, 2017 at 11:43 AM.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    If you never take any risks, you can never be criticized. That's why it's interesting that Lowe suggested Masai is overly cautious and likes to really win every trade.

    We thought last summer might be time to make a move--remember how much talk there was about the Knicks pick?--and ultimately we ended up with a third string center and more depth. Or as they put it on the podcast, a bunch of young players who don't play.

    At some point, if we don't consolidate these assets, they will lose their value (note their discussion of Bruno) and we will be running in place.
    See, I don't know if this is as true as it has been historically with the changes to the roster upcoming. In days gone by you were limited by the roster size, plus a couple extra abroad if you were wise like the Spurs. Lifting the roster size effectively to 17 means Masai can draft both their picks this year without having to drop anyone from the roster save Sullinger who would be replaced with a hopefully more generous MLE (ie not shedding value for no return).

    My point is that there's not as much urgency to consolidate as there once was. Given the requisite funds to do so, Masai can carry right along on this asset-collection-and-development rampage he's been on. He can make this team even younger without sacrificing it's ability to continue winning in the now - all but ensuring its ability to contend even as Kyle and Lebron's respective careers move into their twilight.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And holy crap are we ever going to be even better and even deeper when Sully and Delon return.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    In a word.....Shit...

    Have to put my Local Boy Comes Home banner back in the garage
    Why? Towns and Lavine are looking like the 2. Wiggins not so much.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    9,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    See, I don't know if this is as true as it has been historically with the changes to the roster upcoming. In days gone by you were limited by the roster size, plus a couple extra abroad if you were wise like the Spurs. Lifting the roster size effectively to 17 means Masai can draft both their picks this year without having to drop anyone from the roster save Sullinger who would be replaced with a hopefully more generous MLE (ie not shedding value for no return).

    My point is that there's not as much urgency to consolidate as there once was. Given the requisite funds to do so, Masai can carry right along on this asset-collection-and-development rampage he's been on. He can make this team even younger without sacrificing it's ability to continue winning in the now - all but ensuring its ability to contend even as Kyle and Lebron's respective careers move into their twilight.
    Roster expansion is not a simple roster expansion - two of those slots are specifically for two-way D-League contracts. So, not for first rounders, not for players already under contract. If no trades are made and both Lowry and Pat are brought back, the team would have to waive Van Vleet to be able to sign both first rounders.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Roster expansion is not a simple roster expansion - two of those slots are specifically for two-way D-League contracts. So, not for first rounders, not for players already under contract. If no trades are made and both Lowry and Pat are brought back, the team would have to waive Van Vleet to be able to sign both first rounders.
    Oh. Well that kind of stinks.

    Consolidation it is!

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Superstar Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Why? Towns and Lavine are looking like the 2. Wiggins not so much.
    Really. you like Zach over Wiggy ?
    I don't but interested on why you lean that way...

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Really. you like Zach over Wiggy ?
    I don't but interested on why you lean that way...
    Eye test, shot selection. Lavine attacks the basket and has become a 3 pt threat - over half his attempts from those 2 areas.. Wiggins looks like the old DD - far too many mid-range jumpers. Did you see Wiggins horrible defence in the Nate Duncan breakdown I posted in the NBA thread?

    On the other hand,it might not be so cut and dried though. I just found this

    http://www.canishoopus.com/2017/1/2/...ins-and-lavine

    Maybe because of their defensive shortcomings, neither will be the 2nd franchise guy, especially if they land a stud in this years draft.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

  13. Like Demographic Shift liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •