X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowe Post Podcast - Raptors Focused! 12.28.2016

I didn't see this on the home page, so I thought I'd post it here:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18365463

It gives a good snapshot of where the team is at, and some of the issues that we'll face in the near future.

As usual, really nice work from Zach Lowe, with guests Bruce Arthur and Eric Koreen. Bruce Arthur I thought was surprisingly good, though maybe I just thought that because I've heard a lot less from Bruce than I have from Zach and Eric.

Also, our very own Blake Murphy gets 2 shout outs! We big time now!

I had to stop after listening to them drag on about Drake, Jennifer Lopez, and what movies they watched on Christmas. Koreen's voice is nails on chalkboard without having to suffer through pop gossip.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I had to stop after listening to them drag on about Drake, Jennifer Lopez, and what movies they watched on Christmas. Koreen's voice is nails on chalkboard without having to suffer through pop gossip.
      Yeah they also didnt really say anything too enlightening, generally agree that they should look to get Milsap, and think Lowry should and likely will be back.

To anyone not following the Raps at all I imagine this could be cool, and fine content for listening to at work, but nothing crazy.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Yeah, for hard core fans there's not much new.

I think the part covering JV as a trade asset (and how that fits into the Raps' cap situation) is something that some fans, even hard core fans, might have missed.

I have to disagree about Koreen, though. I like him. As a writer he's top notch. He's not as good a podcast listen, but still very good.

Comment

Definitely worth a listen. Seems like they think Val doesn't fit. Those draft picks, Val and/or one of Powell or Ross seemed like an interesting discussion. Too bad they could only think of one potential target at PF

Comment

Eric Koreen has one of the worse voices known to man

Comment

Atothe wrote: View Post
              Eric Koreen has one of the worse voices known to man
              i've finally figured it out. koreens voice is EXACTLY like the sleazy lawyer who worked for stringer bell and avon barksdale.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                Definitely worth a listen. Seems like they think Val doesn't fit. Those draft picks, Val and/or one of Powell or Ross seemed like an interesting discussion. Too bad they could only think of one potential target at PF
                Favors. He's becoming a 5 but defense is part of winning. If he could extend his shooting range then I'd like noel/favors on D a lot. Probably cost as much or less for both than Millsap alone as an expiring 30+ yr old player.

Yep, rather read koreen.

Comment

Okay, I decided to skip past the bullshit and get to the good stuff.

-Norman Powell's name comes up a fair bit around the league
                  -they really touched on whether we are a contender, and made note of how the Cavs didn't really take us seriously. This was voiced specifically by Luis Scola during the series. So the argument that we were two wins away from the NBA Finals wasn't really something to cling to. Also discussed how close we were to getting bounced by the Pacers.
                  -didn't think Masai would make a major deal at the deadline, among other reasons, because he is overly cautious and likes to really win trades
                  -but now is the time to do SOMETHING!! (an argument I've been pounding the table on)
                  -they think eventually Favors will get traded (not this year)
                  -as long as Lowry/Derozan are here, JV will always look old-fashioned. Lowe doesn't think he'll ever be a good-to-great defensive player... he'll be okay.
                  -if you lose Kyle, you might as well tank

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
                    Favors. He's becoming a 5 but defense is part of winning. If he could extend his shooting range then I'd like noel/favors on D a lot. Probably cost as much or less for both than Millsap alone as an expiring 30+ yr old player.

Yep, rather read koreen.
                    Personally, the Sixers should keep Noel. He has the potential to become a defensive big. They should really move Okafor: No defense, doesn't defend, can only play the 5, etc... That said, I like Favors a lot more. If he becomes available, he doesn't stretch the court as much as Millsap, but he's mobile, has a solid mid range game, rebounds and can post up. He would work well beside any of the Raps bigs.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      Personally, the Sixers should keep Noel. He has the potential to become a defensive big. They should really move Okafor: No defense, doesn't defend, can only play the 5, etc... That said, I like Favors a lot more. If he becomes available, he doesn't stretch the court as much as Millsap, but he's mobile, has a solid mid range game, rebounds and can post up. He would work well beside any of the Raps bigs.
                      I agree re: okafor but they have til next trade deadline to figure it out and they probably should move both. Holmes is fine as backup.
                      I dunno about favors. The way things are going he's looking more like a 5 long term to me. Hard to trade with Utah bc they don't need parts; they need a star.

Comment

They're also skeptical of us resigning lowry and patterson without ownership wanting to shed salary elsewhere
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          They're also skeptical of us resigning lowry and patterson without ownership wanting to shed salary elsewhere
                          I'm skeptical too.. which is a shame. MLSE might think losing to the Cavs 3x and GSW 2x is enough proof that going into tax is not worth it. I wish Lieweke was still CEO.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I'm skeptical too.. which is a shame. MLSE might think losing to the Cavs 3x and GSW 2x is enough proof that going into tax is not worth it. I wish Lieweke was still CEO.
                            Agreed. I like what Zach said about challenging them. Koreen and Arthur basically said even if we got Millsap it probably couldn't get us past the Cavs, maybe a easier trip there and an honest 6 game series but you'd maybe have a 10 to 15% chance of winning. Then Zach basically saying "but that's the whole point of playing in the NBA in the Lebron era! To somehow get that 10 to 15% chance, or else what are you doing?"

That's what I hope ownership understands. Sure, we don't have a realistic shot here on December 29 2016, but we are a piece or 2 away from having a SHOT. You don't come this close only to take a step back this offseason..should be interesting
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Assuming the Raptors make it to the ECF but loose again maybe a new approach is needed. As constructed the strength of the team, free throws and a deep bench are season but not playoff strengths. So maybe by proving the point that the Raptors are good by making the ECF again, this summer is the time to reconstruct the team with emphases on the starters and a few roll players off the bench.

That could be a justification for going into the tax where maintenance of a "really good team" is not. Their not like the Celtics which have an incredible lottery pick plus cap space. MU really only has the trade route to make any leap forward.

Just a thought. We could be on the cusp of seeing the most interesting summer in franchise history in 2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X