Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Lowe Post Podcast - Raptors Focused! 12.28.2016

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Lowe Post Podcast - Raptors Focused! 12.28.2016

    I didn't see this on the home page, so I thought I'd post it here:

    http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18365463

    It gives a good snapshot of where the team is at, and some of the issues that we'll face in the near future.

    As usual, really nice work from Zach Lowe, with guests Bruce Arthur and Eric Koreen. Bruce Arthur I thought was surprisingly good, though maybe I just thought that because I've heard a lot less from Bruce than I have from Zach and Eric.

    Also, our very own Blake Murphy gets 2 shout outs! We big time now!

  2. Like LJ2, Dr. James Naismith, blackjitsu liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had to stop after listening to them drag on about Drake, Jennifer Lopez, and what movies they watched on Christmas. Koreen's voice is nails on chalkboard without having to suffer through pop gossip.

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star DogeLover1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I had to stop after listening to them drag on about Drake, Jennifer Lopez, and what movies they watched on Christmas. Koreen's voice is nails on chalkboard without having to suffer through pop gossip.
    Yeah they also didnt really say anything too enlightening, generally agree that they should look to get Milsap, and think Lowry should and likely will be back.

    To anyone not following the Raps at all I imagine this could be cool, and fine content for listening to at work, but nothing crazy.

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I had to stop after listening to them drag on about Drake, Jennifer Lopez, and what movies they watched on Christmas. Koreen's voice is nails on chalkboard without having to suffer through pop gossip.
    Yeah, for hard core fans there's not much new.

    I think the part covering JV as a trade asset (and how that fits into the Raps' cap situation) is something that some fans, even hard core fans, might have missed.

    I have to disagree about Koreen, though. I like him. As a writer he's top notch. He's not as good a podcast listen, but still very good.

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Definitely worth a listen. Seems like they think Val doesn't fit. Those draft picks, Val and/or one of Powell or Ross seemed like an interesting discussion. Too bad they could only think of one potential target at PF

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Atothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Eric Koreen has one of the worse voices known to man

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Atothe wrote: View Post
    Eric Koreen has one of the worse voices known to man
    i've finally figured it out. koreens voice is EXACTLY like the sleazy lawyer who worked for stringer bell and avon barksdale.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Definitely worth a listen. Seems like they think Val doesn't fit. Those draft picks, Val and/or one of Powell or Ross seemed like an interesting discussion. Too bad they could only think of one potential target at PF
    Favors. He's becoming a 5 but defense is part of winning. If he could extend his shooting range then I'd like noel/favors on D a lot. Probably cost as much or less for both than Millsap alone as an expiring 30+ yr old player.

    Yep, rather read koreen.

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay, I decided to skip past the bullshit and get to the good stuff.

    -Norman Powell's name comes up a fair bit around the league
    -they really touched on whether we are a contender, and made note of how the Cavs didn't really take us seriously. This was voiced specifically by Luis Scola during the series. So the argument that we were two wins away from the NBA Finals wasn't really something to cling to. Also discussed how close we were to getting bounced by the Pacers.
    -didn't think Masai would make a major deal at the deadline, among other reasons, because he is overly cautious and likes to really win trades
    -but now is the time to do SOMETHING!! (an argument I've been pounding the table on)
    -they think eventually Favors will get traded (not this year)
    -as long as Lowry/Derozan are here, JV will always look old-fashioned. Lowe doesn't think he'll ever be a good-to-great defensive player... he'll be okay.
    -if you lose Kyle, you might as well tank

  11. Like Fully liked this post
  12. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lewro wrote: View Post
    Favors. He's becoming a 5 but defense is part of winning. If he could extend his shooting range then I'd like noel/favors on D a lot. Probably cost as much or less for both than Millsap alone as an expiring 30+ yr old player.

    Yep, rather read koreen.
    Personally, the Sixers should keep Noel. He has the potential to become a defensive big. They should really move Okafor: No defense, doesn't defend, can only play the 5, etc... That said, I like Favors a lot more. If he becomes available, he doesn't stretch the court as much as Millsap, but he's mobile, has a solid mid range game, rebounds and can post up. He would work well beside any of the Raps bigs.

  13. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Personally, the Sixers should keep Noel. He has the potential to become a defensive big. They should really move Okafor: No defense, doesn't defend, can only play the 5, etc... That said, I like Favors a lot more. If he becomes available, he doesn't stretch the court as much as Millsap, but he's mobile, has a solid mid range game, rebounds and can post up. He would work well beside any of the Raps bigs.
    I agree re: okafor but they have til next trade deadline to figure it out and they probably should move both. Holmes is fine as backup.
    I dunno about favors. The way things are going he's looking more like a 5 long term to me. Hard to trade with Utah bc they don't need parts; they need a star.

  14. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They're also skeptical of us resigning lowry and patterson without ownership wanting to shed salary elsewhere
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  15. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    They're also skeptical of us resigning lowry and patterson without ownership wanting to shed salary elsewhere
    I'm skeptical too.. which is a shame. MLSE might think losing to the Cavs 3x and GSW 2x is enough proof that going into tax is not worth it. I wish Lieweke was still CEO.

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm skeptical too.. which is a shame. MLSE might think losing to the Cavs 3x and GSW 2x is enough proof that going into tax is not worth it. I wish Lieweke was still CEO.
    Agreed. I like what Zach said about challenging them. Koreen and Arthur basically said even if we got Millsap it probably couldn't get us past the Cavs, maybe a easier trip there and an honest 6 game series but you'd maybe have a 10 to 15% chance of winning. Then Zach basically saying "but that's the whole point of playing in the NBA in the Lebron era! To somehow get that 10 to 15% chance, or else what are you doing?"

    That's what I hope ownership understands. Sure, we don't have a realistic shot here on December 29 2016, but we are a piece or 2 away from having a SHOT. You don't come this close only to take a step back this offseason..should be interesting
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  17. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm skeptical too.. which is a shame. MLSE might think losing to the Cavs 3x and GSW 2x is enough proof that going into tax is not worth it. I wish Lieweke was still CEO.
    Assuming the Raptors make it to the ECF but loose again maybe a new approach is needed. As constructed the strength of the team, free throws and a deep bench are season but not playoff strengths. So maybe by proving the point that the Raptors are good by making the ECF again, this summer is the time to reconstruct the team with emphases on the starters and a few roll players off the bench.

    That could be a justification for going into the tax where maintenance of a "really good team" is not. Their not like the Celtics which have an incredible lottery pick plus cap space. MU really only has the trade route to make any leap forward.

    Just a thought. We could be on the cusp of seeing the most interesting summer in franchise history in 2017.

  18. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RDV wrote: View Post
    Assuming the Raptors make it to the ECF but loose again maybe a new approach is needed. As constructed the strength of the team, free throws and a deep bench are season but not playoff strengths. So maybe by proving the point that the Raptors are good by making the ECF again, this summer is the time to reconstruct the team with emphases on the starters and a few roll players off the bench.

    That could be a justification for going into the tax where maintenance of a "really good team" is not. Their not like the Celtics which have an incredible lottery pick plus cap space. MU really only has the trade route to make any leap forward.

    Just a thought. We could be on the cusp of seeing the most interesting summer in franchise history in 2017.
    Don't get me too excited. I've heard rumblings of that for 3 summers, and so far all they've produced Lou Williams, Demarre Carroll and Jarred Sullinger. Don't get me wrong I love Masai's cerebral approach but I'll only believe the 'big splash' is happening when I see it on the news
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  19. Like meductic, Scraptor liked this post
  20. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Don't get me too excited. I've heard rumblings of that for 3 summers, and so far all they've produced Lou Williams, Demarre Carroll and Jarred Sullinger. Don't get me wrong I love Masai's cerebral approach but I'll only believe the 'big splash' is happening when I see it on the news
    Would giving up the package OKC reportedly requested for Ibaka have gotten you excited? Because OKC certainly got a comparable package from Orlando. Big splash trades are costly, because if a guy is really good, there are almost always multiple bidders and the price is exorbitant.

    I'm not advocating a stand pat philosophy - if MU/JW do pull the trigger I'm not going to criticize. What I am saying is that what MU has done thus far is entirely defensible.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

  21. Like Rudy Bargnani liked this post
  22. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Agreed. I like what Zach said about challenging them. Koreen and Arthur basically said even if we got Millsap it probably couldn't get us past the Cavs, maybe a easier trip there and an honest 6 game series but you'd maybe have a 10 to 15% chance of winning. Then Zach basically saying "but that's the whole point of playing in the NBA in the Lebron era! To somehow get that 10 to 15% chance, or else what are you doing?"

    That's what I hope ownership understands. Sure, we don't have a realistic shot here on December 29 2016, but we are a piece or 2 away from having a SHOT. You don't come this close only to take a step back this offseason..should be interesting
    With the right trade, the Raptors could extend their championship window and stay under the tax.

    This would be in the form of a JV/Carroll/TRoss for expirings + prospects deal.

    That, I think, is the right approach.

    I don't buy the argument that the Raptors need to go for a championship immediately. The team is deep and young. Even though the gap between Cleveland and Toronto seems large, it also seems to be shrinking. I see no reason why the Raptors championship odds would be less next year compared to this.

    The new CBA makes it very difficult to trade superstars, and very expensive for superstars to leave in free agency. This is something that helps the Raptors, since it makes it less likely that a team behind them in the Eastern Conference is able to trade or sign their way to a championship. You think Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins are going to want out of Indiana and Sacramento now that it could cost them over $70 million each? I don't think so.

    I think the Raps should be fine with nipping at the Cavs heels at least for this season, though maybe also the one after. Will a 33 year old LeBron be as dominant? 34? The end is coming for his run, it's just a matter of staying in good position for a season or two.

    The timing isn't right for a championship push. Patience is the better strategy.

  23. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OakTree wrote: View Post
    With the right trade, the Raptors could extend their championship window and stay under the tax.

    This would be in the form of a JV/Carroll/TRoss for expirings + prospects deal.

    That, I think, is the right approach.

    I don't buy the argument that the Raptors need to go for a championship immediately. The team is deep and young. Even though the gap between Cleveland and Toronto seems large, it also seems to be shrinking. I see no reason why the Raptors championship odds would be less next year compared to this.

    The new CBA makes it very difficult to trade superstars, and very expensive for superstars to leave in free agency. This is something that helps the Raptors, since it makes it less likely that a team behind them in the Eastern Conference is able to trade or sign their way to a championship. You think Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins are going to want out of Indiana and Sacramento now that it could cost them over $70 million each? I don't think so.

    I think the Raps should be fine with nipping at the Cavs heels at least for this season, though maybe also the one after. Will a 33 year old LeBron be as dominant? 34? The end is coming for his run, it's just a matter of staying in good position for a season or two.

    The timing isn't right for a championship push. Patience is the better strategy.
    Don't forget that as Lebrons window closes, so does Lowrys. He is worth as basically much to us as Lebron is to them. So staying the course is a great idea, no sarcasm, but you need to also keep finding young studs like Powell etc because there's a lot of teams with young stars behind us right now.
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  24. Like meductic liked this post
  25. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Don't forget that as Lebrons window closes, so does Lowrys. He is worth as basically much to us as Lebron is to them. So staying the course is a great idea, no sarcasm, but you need to also keep finding young studs like Powell etc because there's a lot of teams with young stars behind us right now.
    The only team I worry about catching the Raps over the next couple of seasons is the Bucks. Maybe the Pistons, but I think they're more of a long shot.

    The Celtics and Hornets aren't talented enough.

    The Hawks, Bulls and Knicks are too old, and will probably decline.

    The Pacers will have problems filling out their roster around George and Turner.

    The Wizards are going the wrong way.

    I don't see the top end talent on the Magic.

    The Heat are going to need to rebuild, and with the new CBA it will take a while. Same with the Nets.

    The 76ers have some interesting talent, but their roster is such a mess, and they're so young, it's hard to see them being relevant within the next 2-3 seasons.

    Also, it's worth mentioning that the Cavs are so beyond capped out that it's only going to take one bad offseason and they won't be able to fill out their roster. Their run will probably end the same way as the Heat's. A few good players making a tonne of money, and not enough to fill out the roster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •