Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Game #37: Houston Rockets 129 - Toronto Raptors 122

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lupe wrote: View Post
    Why doesn't OKC start Kanter and give him more touches to bring down Westbrook's usage? He's just as, if not more capable (i'd argue more) of scoring 20 points and grabbing 10 plus boards a game as Jonas is.
    Because Kanter is one of the worst defenders in the NBA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    In before "So is JV"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    The difference between Kanter and JV defensively isn't significant at all. You keep saying it is but haven't really presented any evidence to show otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between Kanter and JV defensively isn't significant at all. You keep saying it is but haven't really presented any evidence to show otherwise.
    Sure I have. You've just ignored it.

For example, once again.

Kanter, DBPM by season (oldest to most recent):

JV, same:
    +0.9
    +0.2
    +0.4

So, in JV's worst season, he's about halfway between a league average player and Kanter if you take Kanter as his best season. Using career averages, Kanter sits at -2.1 and JV sits at +0.1. JV has consistently floated around league average in defensive impact, which is not great for a C. But a Kanter has consistently been significantly below league average, which is a disaster for a C.

I can do the same in RPM and will do so later if you insist but ESPN's site is garbage so it's more work. I'd do the same for simple APM too and RAPM if I could find a functional surviving database.

Impact stats are basically the only real attempt at a catch all defensive stat, and with defence being such a system and team entwined thing, other metrics always prove to be either completely unreliable or nondescriptive, unlike impact stats which are only mostly those two things especially over small samples. We're not talking small samples though, we're talking comparing 5-6 years of data to each other.

5. Like Just Is liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This year JV is 65th in DRPM among Cs and Kanter is 67th. Other than one year (2014-15) they've both ranked in the bottom quarter of the league's centers basically every single season that DRPM has been posted by ESPN. JV again is a little better defensively but not by any significant amount. DRPM rates JV as below average for the past 4 years and Kanter as near the worst. And for the record Monroe and Vucevic have been right around JV in those stats so my point still stands. They're all in the same category. Good and skilled offensively, could get you 20-10 if you gave them the top scoring role but below average to bad defensively.

Post Thanks / Like

This year JV is 65th in DRPM among Cs and Kanter is 67th. Other than one year (2014-15) they've both ranked in the bottom quarter of the league's centers basically every single season that DRPM has been posted by ESPN. JV again is a little better defensively but not by any significant amount. DRPM rates JV as below average for the past 4 years and Kanter as near the worst. And for the record Monroe and Vucevic have been right around JV in those stats so my point still stands. They're all in the same category. Good and skilled offensively, could get you 20-10 if you gave them the top scoring role but below average to bad defensively.
    Again, it's a matter of degree. Monroe and Vuc are much better compares for JV - they are poor defenders, not worst-in-the-league defenders. RPM is even less reliable than BPM in small samples, so this year's RPM rankings should be taken with a massive grain of salt. Kanter is a complete disaster on that end, with his entire career ranking significantly worse than JV's by a wide margin.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread Information