Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you agree with Jack Armstrong about a lack of a physical presence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't hear Jacks comments and don't know the context of them but do agree that the Raps could use more toughness.

I think there are two kinds of tough.
    Physically tough and mentally tough. You need both.

Biz last year in the middle gave you both. He was all elbows and knees. It was like sticking your hand in a blender going inside for rebounds against him and he did what he did EVERY game. He never backed away from the dummy tough trash talking as he laughed at them. PPat is cut from the same mold as Biz. You get the physical defense and you get it every game. To differing degrees Demar , Kyle, Carroll and Powell are the same. You know what your going to get from those guys game in and game out . They don't back down or away and they play hard. I like it when DD takes those odd flagrant fouls and when Kyle takes a hard foul to prevent a layup. Thats toughness. Sullinger by his size alone is going to provide a more physical presence inside on both ends of the floor.

Bebe is a different kind of player whose frame prevents him from being able to "bang" ,but, he and others who play rotation minutes can help the team by becoming mentally tougher than they are right now. Bebe simply has to drop the happy go lucky persona and adopt a meaner streak. Take a page out of the Ppat book. Pat rarely smiles and jokes around. He plays to win. He plays hard and he doesn't lose focus. Powell is as aggressive as they come. Any time he gets into the game he is constantly on his man on defense.. leaning on him.. forcing them to work hard... making it hard all round on the opposition. It takes mental toughness to do that game in and game out.

Who else can become mentally tougher besides Bebe ?
    Ross + CoJo + JV.
    JV is a physical presence for sure and when he plays with his angry pills he is someone you don't want to see. He just doesn't do it all the time. Thats another aspect of Caseys "you want more minutes" interview.
    CoJo mentlly zones in and out during the game... Will you see McDribbles or the guy who drives it inside and plays a tough brand of on the ball keep your man in front of you defense ? Depends.
    Ross .. same thing. Whatcha goona get tonight from Ross ? Depends.

Gotta be consistent. You may not have great games and its hard to be 100% each night but those guys can make improvements off what they have shown so far this year.

The rooks and deep rotation guys get a pass as they don't play enough to make a difference.

Could they use a JJ/Hansbrough type to bang away inside.. maybe thats what Jack was saying and maybe Sullinger brings that physical presence and a take no prisoners type of attitude with him as he rounds into form....

But getting mentally tougher is something the Raps can do to get back to being a team no one really looks forward to meeting.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      The lack of Oakley-type toughness is more of a league-wide trend, rather than a specific problem of the Raptors.

Oakley used to chop guys across the forearms that would leave bruises for days. But those "good, hard fouls" don't exist anymore. Only flagrant 1s.
      Very true, but every team needs that type of guy to let other teams know they can't just drive in untouched or to let Curry know he can't be "showing up" your team with stupid celebrations. A guy that isn't afraid to get in someones face. Draymond or Bogut when he was with GS, the older vets from Cav's...the best teams still have them with the exception of the nausiatingly nice Spurs.

Comment

We know what we have in bebe.
        My biggest concern on poeltl in college was a lack of toughness. That was the main reason I had sabonis slightly ahead of him.
        Some of biz's best qualities (like toughness) aren't accounted for in the boxscores. It's important imo.
        Jv is strong but I don't think of him as tough per se. Old man peanut head Richard Jefferson had no hesitation to get into his grill. Jv is passable tho, in this regard, not trying to start a jv fight.

Comment

We lost two of our toughest players in Biz and JJ without adequate replacements of course we are going to feel it.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure how Armstrong meant it as I didn't hear him say it, but when I think lack of toughness, I think lack of an Oakley type player that other players know if they take a run at the rim they may get put on their ass. Someone who you think twice before trying to punk. Biz provided that, and I think Sully can provide that as well. JV's elbows are known league wide now, but not sure he gets the "respect" or fear from other players as he's not exactly known as a fighter.
            He basically commented, about a lack of size. He previously mentioned obtaining another piece he was not specific of what position at that time. He did not indicate it had to star level just to fill a need.

Comment

I disagree with the sentiment that toughness is solely an interior issue.

Perimeter defenders need to be more physical off-ball. Can't let people make open cuts - need to get a body on them. Force them to really fight through space. Our best defenders, Ross, Carroll, Powell, CoJo (in some order) - none of them are very physical. CoJo might be the most physical player we have on the perimeter.

On-ball is much harder to be physical in this era because of the fouls. But after the shot/pass release you need to establish your presence.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

Perimeter defenders need to be more physical off-ball. Can't let people make open cuts - need to get a body on them. Force them to really fight through space. Our best defenders, Ross, Carroll, Powell, CoJo (in some order) - none of them are very physical. CoJo might be the most physical player we have on the perimeter.

On-ball is much harder to be physical in this era because of the fouls. But after the shot/pass release you need to establish your presence.
                That, and bumping the roll man as the helper. Wings need to crunch the roll man on PnR then recover. Ours typically barely touch the roller, if they even bother.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It would certainly be nice to see the Raps getting physical around the basket. The only Raptors that regularly boxout are JV, Lowry and Paterson it seems like. Maybe I am missing some action here, but it seems like, on the Raptors board, there are always Raptors standing outside of a ring of opposing players in position to grab the ball. If the team expects JV and Bebe etc to run out to the 3 pt line to contest a shooter or pick up the guy that just blew by DeMarr or Cory or Carroll, then somebody else better be boxing out.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

Pretty much zero resistance on the perimeter. One simple pick, not even a hard one, and the opposing offense pretty much gets into their set like it was drawn up on the chalkboard.

Comment

do you agree with Jack Armstrong about a lack of a physical presence?

golden wrote: View Post
                      Pretty much zero resistance on the perimeter. One simple pick, not even a hard one, and the opposing offense pretty much gets into their set like it was drawn up on the chalkboard.
                      I think zero resistance is pretty darn accurate. JV might be the only defender on the team that plays with any physicality. Gone are the JJ, Hayes and Hansbrough of yesteryear.

We look like the type of soft team that is caught off guard by the physicality of the playoffs and how much the refs allow. That doesn't bode well for another deep spring.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

According Sean Spicer, the Toronto Raptors are most physical team in the NBA.

Comment

When healthy I'm not concered with our big man rotation. Then, it's hard to be next-level tough when your SF rotation has an average height of 6'6.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                            According Sean Spicer, the Toronto Raptors are most physical team in the NBA.
                            I see what you did there ...

Comment

I didn't hear Jack, mostly because I don't care anymore, but I know what he means when he speaks of "toughness". It's a mentality, or way of being. You hear about it hear and there, sometimes its just old people pissing and moaning, and others, its legitimate. In this case, totally legit. Toronto, along with a bunch of NBA teams lacks the toughness it needs.... 30 years ago players played for the game, for bragging rights, to see who was the best. Now, they play for stats, and contracts, and ad revenue. Guys don't wanna play tough defence, or take a charge, or meet a guy hard in the lane.... they hate it, they see $$$ being lost as a result of lost games due to injury.

Blame agents, and blame the money thats in the game now... blame what you want, but the fact is, tough, hard as nails ball will win in the playoffs.... but you are playing a dangerous game if you think you can just turn it on in april or may. So do the Raps lack toughness, hell yes they do.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                I didn't hear Jack, mostly because I don't care anymore, but I know what he means when he speaks of "toughness". It's a mentality, or way of being. You hear about it hear and there, sometimes its just old people pissing and moaning, and others, its legitimate. In this case, totally legit. Toronto, along with a bunch of NBA teams lacks the toughness it needs.... 30 years ago players played for the game, for bragging rights, to see who was the best. Now, they play for stats, and contracts, and ad revenue. Guys don't wanna play tough defence, or take a charge, or meet a guy hard in the lane.... they hate it, they see $$$ being lost as a result of lost games due to injury.

Blame agents, and blame the money thats in the game now... blame what you want, but the fact is, tough, hard as nails ball will win in the playoffs.... but you are playing a dangerous game if you think you can just turn it on in april or may. So do the Raps lack toughness, hell yes they do.
                                the rules have changed a lot too which makes it kind of hard to know how much you're allowed to do in terms of physicality. Until the playoffs, when you're allowed to do whatever the fuck you want as long as the opposition's jersey says "Toronto" on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X