What needs to be fixed and how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire the Coach...Easy Fix.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      But it's more than no Patterson, it's not having a real starter at the 4, or, start Patterson and have a real 4 behind him. It's the fact that the closest thing the raps have to a SF is a hurting DC. Yeah, there's a lot of poor calls, I've agreed with letting go Casey in the past, but this team is getting into tough spots they shouldn't be in to begin with because of the imbalanced roster.

If a kid needs an A on a test to graduate a year, and gets a B+, was the issue that they messed up in the clutch, or the fact that they didn't take the whole year seriously? Yes, it's probably time for Casey to be replaced, but if this team was constructed like most teams that think they're upper tier (with quality starters, positional balance and vets at the end of the bench), they wouldn't be dealing with as many clutch situations to begin with.

Also, I just don't think that there's as many good coaches as there used to be. Only so many coaches have evolved, fully grasped analytics and how to best implement its use in modern basketball. College has become more about recruiting than coaching... Let's just say, I'm not enthusiastic with the options in the NCAA or NBA to replace Casey.
      I actually like our roster construction to be honest. It's not the greatest setup in the event of injuries, because it means relying on young guys probably a bit too much. But we haven't even had Sullinger play at all really this season. We really aren't setup to win the conference, we are set up to make a move that puts us in position to win the conference. I think that is still true, but I'm not sure I have the confidence that Casey can lead this team to the Finals even if a big move is made.

That being said, I agree there aren't alot of obvious options to replace Casey. I tend to think that most coaches in the league wouldn't get much more out of this roster than Casey has. Pop, Stevens, Spoelstra, I think could. Maybe Kerr. People seem to think Carlisle is some kind of genious, I'm not sure why, but maybe him too. Guys like SVG and D'antoni need very specific rosters of course. Not sure who else could do better than Casey has done.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Why no JV? He'd finally have opportunity and his contract is fantastic? Worst case you can increase his value.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        Sure, increase his value for a season, and cut him loose too.

Comment

100℅ there are better coaches than Casey. Anyone that has the sense to sit Lowry in a blow out and play delon is a upgrade over Casey. We are at the all star break and our best player is worn out again. I thought Casey would feel more secure after getting his contract to play some of the younger guys. He barely even plays norm ffs!

I said this before, Jay wright would be my choice, not sure if he comes out? I'm sure Masai has an eye on at least one guy.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            I don't think anyone has suggested blowing it up right now.

The hypothetical that jimmie mentioned is based on a playoff flameout, and elsewhere on the forum it's based on Kyle walking.

If Kyle walks, you have a limited amount of capspace to replace an irreplaceable amount of production. It's a fool's errand to try and contend with a core of DD/JV and our middling assets.

But if you want to create straw men to feel superior to, go right ahead.
            There is no indication that Kyle will walk. I think if anything it'll be Masai not wanting to pay a full max for Lowry.

I understand the value of Lowry, but I don't see this team getting blown up even with a flameout in the playoffs and even if Lowry leaves. I'd understand if the raptors were an older team with no upside, but this team is young and has a core of good to very good players.

The growth to contender isn't a linear progression for a team. You don't try for a year or two then blow things up. Becoming a consistent contender requires player development , growth from within and a winning mindset from the organization that can attract free agents.

You can't look at the raptors cap situation now and say "oh look if Lowry leaves they can't do anything". The team is loaded with movable assets and contracts.

It is extremely unlikely that Masai would tear apart the growth this organization has experienced over the past 3 years. Blowing things up doesn't guarantee success. And for people to even consider it as a possibility after seeing how far this organization has progressed after so many years of failure is ridiculous.

Thanks for getting personal at the end too, friend. Very cool of you.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              There is no indication that Kyle will walk. I think if anything it'll be Masai not wanting to pay a full max for Lowry.

I understand the value of Lowry, but I don't see this team getting blown up even with a flameout in the playoffs and even if Lowry leaves. I'd understand if the raptors were an older team with no upside, but this team is young and has a core of good to very good players.

The growth to contender isn't a linear progression for a team. You don't try for a year or two then blow things up. Becoming a consistent contender requires player development , growth from within and a winning mindset from the organization that can attract free agents.

You can't look at the raptors cap situation now and say "oh look if Lowry leaves they can't do anything". The team is loaded with movable assets and contracts.

It is extremely unlikely that Masai would tear apart the growth this organization has experienced over the past 3 years. Blowing things up doesn't guarantee success. And for people to even consider it as a possibility after seeing how far this organization has progressed after so many years of failure is ridiculous.

Thanks for getting personal at the end too, friend. Very cool of you.
              The age old tank vs. non-tank debate.

IMO, this roster minus Lowry is the definition of mediocrity. I'd rather take my chances in the draft, than hang onto to guys like DeRozan, Carroll, Patterson, etc., who aren't really pieces to build around.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                The age old tank vs. non-tank debate.

IMO, this roster minus Lowry is the definition of mediocrity. I'd rather take my chances in the draft, than hang onto to guys like DeRozan, Carroll, Patterson, etc., who aren't really pieces to build around.
                Haha, the great debate of years ago.

I'm curious now, what is your definition of this team with Lowry?
                Because its 2015

Comment

I shudder to think what this team would look like without Lowry. Imagine CoJo being our starting PG... yikes

Wonder if we would even win 20 games.

Comment

Sure, increase his value for a season, and cut him loose too.
                    Why has thou given up on JV!?

Comment

To me, Lowry speaking out says more about his intention to stay and build the team. If he was indifferent towards losing and improving then I'd worry that he had checked out.

I know people are frustrated but I'm most surprised to see some turn on Masai. Respect to everyone's opinions, in the myriad of concerns here, Masai is a beacon of hope in my mind. Masai is a smart guy from a bball standpoint but what's more, he's a class act and a great citizen. I'm proud that he represents this franchise and the city.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                        Haha, the great debate of years ago.

I'm curious now, what is your definition of this team with Lowry?
                        Easy answer is a conference finalist ceiling. But now that Ibaka's in the mix, we have a puncher's chance at the finals.

Jangles wrote: View Post
                        Why has thou given up on JV!?
                        I haven't. I was talking about a hypothetical rebuild scenario in which Lowry decides to walk away this summer.

Comment

Easy answer is a conference finalist ceiling. But now that Ibaka's in the mix, we have a puncher's chance at the finals.
                          Two big contingencies still: IF the Cavs have legit Kevin Love problems (i.e. he's not back or not healthy for the playoffs) and IF this Raptors roster with Ibaka maxes out its potential, this is the best crack at a Finals with a KL/DD team vs. a LBJ team you could ask for. Those are two huge if's, we'll see how it plays out - should be fun!
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I haven't. I was talking about a hypothetical rebuild scenario in which Lowry decides to walk away this summer.
                            Lol, great timing for that Q & A
                            Because its 2015

Comment

If there is a bright side to all this, is that Masai HAS TO BE feeling the pressure to make a move now, more so than any other year. This team needs a shot in the arm, and a marquee PF acquisition could be what the doctor orders.
                              27 game winning streak starts tonight. You heard it here first!

Comment

27 game winning streak starts tonight. You heard it here first!
                                Why stop there? 43 game win streak, parade down Yonge!
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X