What needs to be fixed and how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we start?

What's troubling is that "what is wrong" is becoming a very long list. It's evolved from needing a power forward and questionable rotations into significant challenges on both sides of the court.

---Need a better solution at power forward.
    --Rotations are questionable and need to be fixed. No more JV/Siakam pairings and no more playing Norm 4 minutes a game all in the 4th quarter.
    --Our pick n roll D is poor.
    --Our perimeter D is awful. This needs more discussion. The number of opposing point guards absolutely killing us is problematic. I can't fault them for giving up 40 to James Harden or Isaiah Thomas. But when CJ Watson, Ish Smith, Kemba Walker and Jrue Holiday all go off it signals a deeper problem. Do you think Lowrys D will get worse or better the next 5 years? I know what I think.
    --Our back up point guard (COJO) can't play with Demar. Demar is always on the floor when Lowry isn't.
    --We need more toughness. Someone other than JV who can grab 10 rebounds a game. Bebe had 2 boards last night.
    --Too much reliance on isolation basketball.

Unfortunately one trade won't solve all of these problems. Obviously having Patterson back will help, but man there are a lot of warning signals here.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Apparently Patrick Patterson is some kind of super glue. Which is how some will try to explain it. His agent must have a wide-ass dopey grin on his face, right about now.
      I'm not sure what's up with PPat's knee but if he skips the Chi/Char back to back he can have a nice long rehab rest including the allstar break. I hope they don't rush him back with the pressure mounting as the cure with the mythical bulls lying ahead.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        The Raptors up until Christmas were #1 in the league in 4th quarter +/- at +4.5. Since Christmas they are #23 at -1.5.

How did they go from being the best 4th quarter team in the league in the first couple months to bottom third in the last 6 weeks? Answer that and you solve the recent slide and all these blown 4th quarters.
        Lucas Nogueira has been used in closing minutes in 10 of the possible 17 crunch time games since Xmas, for an average of 3.2 MPG in clutch situations (more than JV at 3 MPG). The Raptors have a -56 net rating with Nogueira on the court in the clutch in that time frame. Tough nut to crack, this one.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Fix the late game execution issues, which will lead to winning these games, and a lot of the other stuff will resolve itself.

There are long term issues at PF and SF but you can't resolve them in Feb/March.

Comment

Not sure if Casey is THE problem or not right now, but given Lowry's comments yesterday, there's now an official coach-star PG rift. I don't think Lowry wins this one. He's on the last few months of his contract; if he finishes the season as a malcontent, regardless again of whether he's 'right' about Casey, I would bet he's the one gone and Casey stays.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...our-3-1.670335
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
              Not sure if Casey is THE problem or not right now, but given Lowry's comments yesterday, there's now an official coach-star PG rift. I don't think Lowry wins this one. He's on the last few months of his contract; if he finishes the season as a malcontent, regardless again of whether he's 'right' about Casey, I would bet he's the one gone and Casey stays.

That would be an enormous mistake.....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                That would be an enormous mistake.....
                Yep, that would trigger the creation of a #FireMasai thread.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Lucas Nogueira has been used in closing minutes in 10 of the possible 17 crunch time games since Xmas, for an average of 3.2 MPG in clutch situations (more than JV at 3 MPG). The Raptors have a -56 net rating with Nogueira on the court in the clutch in that time frame. Tough nut to crack, this one.
                  Are those essentially Patterson's clutch minutes Bebe's been getting?
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

You choose the rock pounder over the winningest alpha in Franchise history? Yikes
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Honestly, I'm not really panicked or worried. The things that are happening recently are just a magnification of some of the potential problems that have been on the team for awhile. I never felt like Casey was good enough to coach a contender. I never felt like we had enough talent/balance to contend. I thought Millsap would help but didn't/don't think we could get him. I'm a big believer in D so I do think that pat and biz are/were key contributors.
                      I do feel confident that Lowry will stay. We lock him down. Demar is locked in. Masai signs HIS coach this summer. I hope we get the highest draft stock possible (which I'm happy about recently). Everyone else on the roster is up for grabs. Enough BS coddling of jv and Ross. Put the most talent and best fit possible around DD and Lowry. 3 yr window - take your best shot. Clock starts this summer.
                      I'd like to keep yak, norm and Pat but if they have to go then so be it.
                      I hope they identify whom they want in the draft and get the highest pick possible to make that happen. I hope they identify an existing player(s) needed/available and make the best package possible. Hopefully one or both of these things happen.
                      Masai has been patient and stocked the cupboard. This summer it's time to end the BC era and put his stamp on the team. I think that means bye Casey, jv and Ross. I'd like a defensive 5, two-way 4/3s and a coach that can put it all together and think on his feet. Balance the bench as best as possible with whatever assets remain.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        You choose the rock pounder over the winningest alpha in Franchise history? Yikes
                        I choose nobody; I'll leave that to Masai. But I would bet, given the choice between a guy who's about to make $30M+ until the age of 34 or 35 vs. a coach who makes a lot less and is not a risk of losing his sh*t when things get bad, Masai chooses the surer, cheaper bet. If the Raptors are still this bad come April, maybe Casey gets fired, too, but do you really want to take that financial chance on long-term Lowry in case it's NOT just the coach...?
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I choose nobody; I'll leave that to Masai. But I would bet, given the choice between a guy who's about to make $30M+ until the age of 34 or 35 vs. a coach who makes a lot less and is not a risk of losing his sh*t when things get bad, Masai chooses the surer, cheaper bet. If the Raptors are still this bad come April, maybe Casey gets fired, too, but do you really want to take that financial chance on long-term Lowry in case it's NOT just the coach...?
                          Yes, because you can trade Lowry if need be, but we're still near the cap ceiling with or without him, might as well be WITH the top 15 NBA player
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I just want to see some ball movement in the clutch, you know, some team basketball....maybe something a little less predictable?

Oh, defence would be nice too.
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

Most likely scenario is that Masai signs Lowry to the max and Lowry accepts that because it's his last big payday ensuring Masai doesn't lose the asset for nothing. But, he also brings back Casey and then trades Lowry or fires Carey next year at the first sign of trouble.

Comment

Masai would have to be pretty sure that Lowry is the cause of this turmoil, to choose Casey over him. But from us fans' perspective, we haven't seen anything in the last 4 years to suggest that Lowry is preventing this team from succeeding.

Comment

Working...
                                X