Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: BIG WORRY! Age of Serge Ibaka

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Talk about his stats sliding, sure, but the armchair analysis of his age based on his looks or voice (!) is dopey. People are different.

    Here are pics of Serge, Greg Oden, and Lebron all in their 26/27 y.o. seasons. Are we sure Serge is a few years older than he thinks/claims he is b/c he "looks/sounds old":










    He looks younger than both those guys did.
    Last edited by S.R.; Wed Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  2. Like Raptor Jesus, Just Is liked this post
  3. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Talk about his stats sliding, sure, but the armchair analysis of his age based on his looks or voice (!) is dopey. People are different.

    Here are pics of Serge, Greg Oden, and Lebron all in their 26/27 y.o. seasons. Are we sure Serge is a few years older than he thinks/claims he is b/c he "looks/sounds old":







    I prefer pics comparing him then to now as opposed to picking some random older looking player. which I think is fairly weak.

    He physically looks a lot more like a 27 year old a few years back both aesthetically and his production. He was noticably more AGILE (which is usually a huge tell tale sign of age) just a few years ago which corresponded with his better blocking numbers and it makes sense because he could move quicker and jump higher. Just go watch some old OKC footage of Serge and it's evident.

  4. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    his defensive responsibilities are different starting next to perkins and starting next to adams. that, in part, could account for some of his "statistical decline".

  5. #24
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    I prefer pics comparing him then to now as opposed to picking some random older looking player. which I think is fairly weak.

    He physically looks a lot more like a 27 year old a few years back both aesthetically and his production. He was noticably more AGILE (which is usually a huge tell tale sign of age) just a few years ago which corresponded with his better blocking numbers and it makes sense because he could move quicker and jump higher. Just go watch some old OKC footage of Serge and it's evident.
    Alright, let me rephrase my first sentence to "Talk about his stats/skills sliding, sure..."

    Otherwise I think you missed the point, which is addressing the part of the debate where people actually bring up the fact that they think he looks older than 27 as a person, not talking about his play on the court. That's all, don't take the post further than that.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  6. Like Just Is liked this post
  7. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, oden looked 45 at Ohio state.
    Lebron was a bit baby face in high school but he got a lot more miles on him being the centre of the basketball world for a decade. Sorta like a US president.

  8. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    This has been covered ad nauseum. The only reason people worry about age is it causes decline, so you can judge him on his numbers over the last few years. He's seen a decent uptick in most of his numbers this year, and we don't need that much from him besides being a great fit (which he is), so I'm not concerned.
    For $25m he needs to anchor our defense. No small task.

  9. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lewro wrote: View Post
    Yeah, oden looked 45 at Ohio state.
    Lebron was a bit baby face in high school but he got a lot more miles on him being the centre of the basketball world for a decade. Sorta like a US president.
    This is a much funner thread idea you're on to.

    For example, how about kansas star Perry Ellis who looks like a weathered mechanic

    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    his defensive responsibilities are different starting next to perkins and starting next to adams. that, in part, could account for some of his "statistical decline".
    A big part of it, even during his time in OKC his role shifted from under the basket to a guy pulled out to the perimeter not only for shooting 3's on O but also for guarding smaller perimeter players on D. According to Thunder fans, this is the main reason his blocks and rebounds dropped, he was simply spending more time away from the basket. His FG% dropped as he took more 3's. But the fans who watched him every game were still very happy with his D, especially his increased versatility:

    http://newsok.com/article/5503411
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  11. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kyle Lowry's currently in the peak of his career, maybe he's secretly 27 and not 30 years old.

    Maybe Landry Fields was 33 in his rookie season and that's why he only got worse from there.

    Maybe Greg Oden was 60 all along and that's why his knees gave out so many times.

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    This is a much funner thread idea you're on to.

    For example, how about kansas star Perry Ellis who looks like a weathered mechanic

    Or this guy from the high school JV team:



    We also have to include Sheldon Williams, whose forehead goes all the way up to the penthouse suite:

    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  13. Like KeonClark liked this post
  14. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    A big part of it, even during his time in OKC his role shifted from under the basket to a guy pulled out to the perimeter not only for shooting 3's on O but also for guarding smaller perimeter players on D. According to Thunder fans, this is the main reason his blocks and rebounds dropped, he was simply spending more time away from the basket. His FG% dropped as he took more 3's. But the fans who watched him every game were still very happy with his D, especially his increased versatility:

    http://newsok.com/article/5503411
    precisely, all PF's are being dragged away from the basket more and more in recent years as teams focus on shooting 3s at a higher rate. It's easy to envision a scenario in which Scotty Brooks directs Ibaka to worry more about perimeter D and expanding his range, in part due to playing next to a more capable and mobile big man in Adams (who can defend the rim and rebound better than Perkins), and in part due to necessity in order to keep up with growing trends league wide.

  15. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's really too bad we couldn't sticky this thread so in 4 years or so we'll see if ppl think Ibaka looks n plays like a "31 year old". I'm fairly confident he's going to look completely washed like most 35 year old players do but hey maybe pics of older looking players perfectly explains a steep decline in production and noticeable difference in quickness and agility...

  16. #33
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    It's really too bad we couldn't sticky this thread so in 4 years or so we'll see if ppl think Ibaka looks n plays like a "31 year old". I'm fairly confident he's going to look completely washed like most 35 year old players do but hey maybe pics of older looking players perfectly explains a steep decline in production and noticeable difference in quickness and agility...


    Try not to lose sleep over it, 4 years is a long time to wait.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

  17. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Good lord! Gigantism!


  18. Like Joey, Raptorsnz, KeonClark, S.R. liked this post
  19. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Good lord! Gigantism!

    Lol, first thought was ken Griffey jr Simpsons too.

  20. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    precisely, all PF's are being dragged away from the basket more and more in recent years as teams focus on shooting 3s at a higher rate. It's easy to envision a scenario in which Scotty Brooks directs Ibaka to worry more about perimeter D and expanding his range, in part due to playing next to a more capable and mobile big man in Adams (who can defend the rim and rebound better than Perkins), and in part due to necessity in order to keep up with growing trends league wide.

    I think that definitely affected his offensive rebounding rate collapsing, but that's why I didn't include it.

    What about his overall DRPM sliding so much? He went from being a top-ranked guy to middle of the pack both in his final year at OKC and now in Orlando. And the field goal % of his man climbing? They move in lockstep.

    I don't know if he's older than he says he is. We'll probably never know. But the raw stats are concerning, and we're not going to have much time to evaluate before his big payday.

  21. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I think that definitely affected his offensive rebounding rate collapsing, but that's why I didn't include it.

    What about his overall DRPM sliding so much? He went from being a top-ranked guy to middle of the pack both in his final year at OKC and now in Orlando. And the field goal % of his man climbing? They move in lockstep.

    I don't know if he's older than he says he is. We'll probably never know. But the raw stats are concerning, and we're not going to have much time to evaluate before his big payday.
    well, it's been discussed here at length the issues with defensive stats. They are often quite unreliable. And I would take anything coming out of Orlando with a grain of salt. The FG% climb may be a bit of a concern. Could it be related to the possibility of him having to guard perimeter players with a greater frequency in recent seasons? I'm not even sure that's the case, but I'm just theorizing based on the the need for NBA defences to have a 4 that can switch on the perimeter and occasionally guard wings and guards.

    In any event, Serge may not actually be 27, but I highly doubt his age is off by 5 years as some have suggested, and I also doubt he is in a physical decline that may be indicative of older athletes. He may not have the same bounce in his step that he had in his first few years, I'm not sure, but we don't need the Ibaka that started next to Perkins, the Ibaka that started next to Adams would do fine. If he can play D even like PAtterson, that will be a huge help.

  22. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't stop reading this title like a trump tweet since the first reply pointed it out.

    "Canada letting in anybody! Hasn't been good since thunder! Looks 40! First name Russian! Last name terrorist! They're sending their worst! You've made An enemy! SAD!"
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

  23. Like GOLDBLUM, S.R., Nilanka liked this post
  24. #39
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
    Okay so I was just reading an article about the Serge Ibaka trade when they referred to his age being a subject of question...



    So I did some more research, and apparently this is not uncommon! Biz might have been significantly older too

    So what is the deal here? How likely is it that Ibaka is older than he claims, and by how much? Does anyone know more about this whole age faking thing? I only ask because this compounds the worries I had when I remember hearing some commentators comment that he's out of his prime, etc., which sounds quite odd if he really is 27!?
    This is nothing to worry about. If he plays well he deserves to be paid and we chalk up the last half season as a poor fit with the Magic(Which it was regardless of where his career is at) and if not then the worst case they move on empty handed or overpay him. Either way the season needs to play out before we get into worries about a guy who's yet to play a single game for the Raptors.

  25. #40
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lewro wrote: View Post
    Yeah, oden looked 45 at Ohio state.
    Lebron was a bit baby face in high school but he got a lot more miles on him being the centre of the basketball world for a decade. Sorta like a US president.
    Oden looked old enough to have grandkids.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 10 guests)

  1. Jclaw

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •