Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deems wrote: View Post
    Considering the cap got smaller, and MLSE doesn't have the best track record when it comes to spending, how the hell are the Raptors supposed to re-sign Lowry and Ibaka? Tucker? Patterson?

We'd need Dan here to chime in on the luxury tax potential here, but I highly doubt we re-sign both Lowry and Ibaka.
    Right now we've got 81M committed. That leaves us 38M below the luxury tax (that includes OG signing). If the team wants to dodge the tax and keep those two, that's not happening without shedding salary. But if they are willing to go like... 12M over, then Lowry and Ibaka signing for deals starting at 30 and 20M seems possible. Heck, Lowry might come in even lower if his market is sufficiently suppressed.

Deems wrote: View Post
    Any reason why CJo isn't expendable? Expiring contract that's eating away at Delon's minutes? Delon can't make the next step without Lowry or Cjo out of the picture.
    CoJo is a guy I'd be looking to salary dump. They'll understandably likely wait until Lowry re-signs - CoJo shouldn't be hard to find a landing spot for, so long as the Raps don't ask for much in return (maybe a 2nd rounder or something). Whether it's clearing a big chunk of cap (moving him and one of JV/Carroll) to re-sign one additional FA alongside Lowry and Ibaka, or just shedding his 7M in salary to make the tax bill a little easier to swallow while keeping the two big names (for example, turning that 12M into the tax into 5M into the tax), he's the most obvious candidate. Getting value out of cheap role players like Wright and Van Vleet is how teams can afford multiple big money stars.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Considering the cap got smaller, and MLSE doesn't have the best track record when it comes to spending, how the hell are the Raptors supposed to re-sign Lowry and Ibaka? Tucker? Patterson?

We'd need Dan here to chime in on the luxury tax potential here, but I highly doubt we re-sign both Lowry and Ibaka.
      Couple things. Cap drop isn't material enough to affect this kind of decision. Two, you have to differentiate between Teachers-owned MLSE and Bell/Rogers MLSE cause those two are not the same. Anything that happened prior to Leiweke and Masai is not indicative of current ownership. We haven't heard or seen anything about the Raps not re-signing both guys. In fact, everything we've heard so far is that they are going to try and sign both guys, so, until we have contrary information from reliable sources, I don't think there's much to go on by way of support for your point.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        Couple things. Cap drop isn't material enough to affect this kind of decision. Two, you have to differentiate between Teachers-owned MLSE and Bell/Rogers MLSE cause those two are not the same. Anything that happened prior to Leiweke and Masai is not indicative of current ownership. We haven't heard or seen anything about the Raps not re-signing both guys. In fact, everything we've heard so far is that they are going to try and sign both guys, so, until we have contrary information from reliable sources, I don't think there's much to go on by way of support for your point.
        Cap drop can be pretty material. A drop of 2M means the amount you exceed the tax with a given team salary increases by 2M. At the higher end of tax payments, that can be a 10M difference in team salary. Nevermind if the team is looking to duck the tax or apron, in which case 2M can obviously make all the difference.

I agree with the rest, though. Fully confident the team brings back Lowry and Ibaka unless they simply have no interest in staying. Tucker I'm much less confident about, and I seriously doubt we see Pat back (which could really bite the team).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Interesting, not much flexibility in bringing some pieces to replace the impact of PP and Tucker so looks like we are looking for internal growth. Could this be the year Bruno is unleashed!?!?!?!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Cap drop can be pretty material. A drop of 2M means the amount you exceed the tax with a given team salary increases by 2M. At the higher end of tax payments, that can be a 10M difference in team salary. Nevermind if the team is looking to duck the tax or apron, in which case 2M can obviously make all the difference.

I agree with the rest, though. Fully confident the team brings back Lowry and Ibaka unless they simply have no interest in staying. Tucker I'm much less confident about, and I seriously doubt we see Pat back (which could really bite the team).
            So if Tucker and Patterson don't come back I'm assuming Bruno OG and Pascal are going to be getting a lot of minutes. How comfortable are you with that? I think we take a big step back if that's the case. It also means we probably keep Carroll (UGH!) cause we don't really have anyone ready to step in. Bruno and OG will probably get minutes but neither of them are ready if we're being honest. And with Pascal we saw how much he hurt any lineup he played in. This is going to be very interesting because yea I don't see us resigning Tucker or PPatt either.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Could this be the year Bruno is unleashed!?!?!?!
              He better!

Also Amir Johnson might be coming back so its something.

Comment

Interesting, not much flexibility in bringing some pieces to replace the impact of PP and Tucker so looks like we are looking for internal growth. Could this be the year Bruno is unleashed!?!?!?!
                unleashed = waived?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If a ~2% drop in the cap is enough to make an organization re-evaluate its entire offseason with respect to signing the two most significant players not under contract, then there are serious, fundamental issues with the organization.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    If a ~2% drop in the cap is enough to make an organization re-evaluate its entire offseason with respect to signing the two most significant players not under contract, then there are serious, fundamental issues with the organization.
                    Well I think it's more to do with the fact that most thought the cap would be going up a considerable percentage. If that's the case then 2% is a big deal. Imagine projecting a 5% increase in your budget only to find you are 2% in the negative, that's cause for concern for any business.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                      So if Tucker and Patterson don't come back I'm assuming Bruno OG and Pascal are going to be getting a lot of minutes. How comfortable are you with that? I think we take a big step back if that's the case. It also means we probably keep Carroll (UGH!) cause we don't really have anyone ready to step in. Bruno and OG will probably get minutes but neither of them are ready if we're being honest. And with Pascal we saw how much he hurt any lineup he played in. This is going to be very interesting because yea I don't see us resigning Tucker or PPatt either.
                      The issue with paying massive sums of money starters is there is no more money for an experienced bench. May as well play those guys though, not like they are going to turn into decent players instantly on the bench.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                        The issue with paying massive sums of money starters is there is no more money for an experienced bench. May as well play those guys though, not like they are going to turn into decent players instantly on the bench.
                        I would actually be excited seeing all the young guys getting significant meaningful minutes. It's gonna make us worse in the short team but its not like we're beating Cleveland with Lebron any time soon. And in the long run it will only make us better, because the d league can only do so much. At some point a guy like Bruno needs to finally play some consistent NBA minutes.
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Me if raptors win the NBA this season:

Comment

• #FreeBruno

Comment

• Kinda interested in Denver. They have Lydon, Lyles, Arthur, faried, juancho, Barton, beasley
                              And may have some interest in cojo, bebe and JV.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                Kinda interested in Denver. They have Lydon, Lyles, Arthur, faried, juancho, Barton, beasley
                                And may have some interest in cojo, bebe and JV.
                                Denvers new gm is JV's mate I believe

Comment

Working...
                                X