No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't the place for this debate. The vast amount of literature that's out there explaining how exploitative NCAA is, is vast. To think otherwise you're either joking with people (whatever floats your boat), or it's willful ignorance. Just yesterday I was hanging out with a former NCAA division 3 athlete (no scholarships at div 3). Even at that level, schools market, generate alumni and corporate donations, and recruit students through their athletic programs. It's bigger than ticket sales, or TV deals. In the US, having a strong athletic program could be the difference from people applying to your expensive school, or not.

They are professionals at every level but income. Meanwhile, you have no social life, you're not allowed to get a part time job, and NCAA limits how much food you can receive. Furthermore, if I get a business scholarship, I can take paid internships. Music scholarship? You're encouraged to play in bands and paying orchestras. Debate team? Want a part-time job at a law firm? No problem? Sports scholarship? Nope, you can't play minor league, work any Summer jobs over a specified number of hours, forget about coaching kids without getting permission from NCAA...It's insane.

There's a reason why Canada has junior hockey (semi pro), CIS has far less stringent rules, in Europe every pro team has an academy and feeder programs. baseball drafts kids out of high school, most high level track athletes and swimmers never go to college, etc... it's an abusive cash grab where schools literally take money out of kids pockets during their athletic primes. They give zero cares if the kids learn a thing or graduate from their programs. Yet NCAA gets billions in TV deals. It's insane.

Anyway, I wanted to post about D Wade going to Cleveland. Does Wade still matter? Will he make it through the season? Or do they wrap him in bubble wrap until the playoffs.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      This isn't the place for this debate. The vast amount of literature that's out there explaining how exploitative NCAA is, is vast. To think otherwise you're either joking with people (whatever floats your boat), or it's willful ignorance. Just yesterday I was hanging out with a former NCAA division 3 athlete (no scholarships at div 3). Even at that level, schools market, generate alumni and corporate donations, and recruit students through their athletic programs. It's bigger than ticket sales, or TV deals. In the US, having a strong athletic program could be the difference from people applying to your expensive school, or not.

They are professionals at every level but income. Meanwhile, you have no social life, you're not allowed to get a part time job, and NCAA limits how much food you can receive. Furthermore, if I get a business scholarship, I can take paid internships. Music scholarship? You're encouraged to play in bands and paying orchestras. Debate team? Want a part-time job at a law firm? No problem? Sports scholarship? Nope, you can't play minor league, work any Summer jobs over a specified number of hours, forget about coaching kids without getting permission from NCAA...It's insane.

There's a reason why Canada has junior hockey (semi pro), CIS has far less stringent rules, in Europe every pro team has an academy and feeder programs. baseball drafts kids out of high school, most high level track athletes and swimmers never go to college, etc... it's an abusive cash grab where schools literally take money out of kids pockets during their athletic primes. They give zero cares if the kids learn a thing or graduate from their programs. Yet NCAA gets billions in TV deals. It's insane.

Anyway, I wanted to post about D Wade going to Cleveland. Does Wade still matter? Will he make it through the season? Or do they wrap him in bubble wrap until the playoffs.
      You're a Raptors fan. You should know better.

Wade almost singlehandedly beat the Raps in the playoffs 2 years ago.

Yes he still matters.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        You're a Raptors fan. You should know better.

Wade almost singlehandedly beat the Raps in the playoffs 2 years ago.

Yes he still matters.
        Assuming Thomas comes back to his old self, Thomas wade crowder james love Thompson is a scary top 6, and much better than what they already had last year
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          This isn't the place for this debate. The vast amount of literature that's out there explaining how exploitative NCAA is, is vast. To think otherwise you're either joking with people (whatever floats your boat), or it's willful ignorance. Just yesterday I was hanging out with a former NCAA division 3 athlete (no scholarships at div 3). Even at that level, schools market, generate alumni and corporate donations, and recruit students through their athletic programs. It's bigger than ticket sales, or TV deals. In the US, having a strong athletic program could be the difference from people applying to your expensive school, or not.

I think he will matter when crunch time comes

Comment

• Ugh, they changed the lottery rules starting in 2019. So if/when we start our rebuild, the draft will be a less powerful tool to help us.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/2...esting-players

Under the new draft lottery rules, the teams with the three worst records will all have 14 percent odds to land the No. 1 pick, the person tells The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcements had been made.

The team with the worst record previously had 25 percent odds to win the lottery.
            The worst teams can also fall further in the lottery.

This is going to be a nightmare, I can see it already.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Ugh, they changed the lottery rules starting in 2019. So if/when we start our rebuild, the draft will be a less powerful tool to help us.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/2...esting-players

The worst teams can also fall further in the lottery.

This is going to be a nightmare, I can see it already.
              I like it. If anything I think it betters our chances of getting a good pick in a down year. One season long injury for example wouldn't drop us to 30th but maybe 20th..

Being 30th of 30 in this league is actually very hard to do. And painful.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                I like it. If anything I think it betters our chances of getting a good pick in a down year. One season long injury for example wouldn't drop us to 30th but maybe 20th..

Being 30th of 30 in this league is actually very hard to do. And painful.
                The problem to me is that I can see extremely bad teams miss out multiple years in a row. Drafting is already fraught with uncertainty as it is; look how many number 2 picks have busted. In ten years we're going to see some small market team relocate because they had too long a period of hopelessness.

Comment

• So are you saying we have a chance at Zion Williamson next year??!
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Not sure if this has been posted here yet.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Everything 2017 Off-Season

blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Most high level track athletes would be stupid not to go to college. Track isn't a talent thing where someone can be so talented that they are ready to compete on the world stage right away. Unless you are Noah lyles and get offered a lucrative deal by Adidas (who have signed three highschool track athletes in the last couple years which imo won't make them any money) which also pays your schooling, then no, you don't go pro out of highschool. You need 5 years of development at least in track to go pro. Usually guys will go a year after graduation before they can get a deal.
                      Last edited by Maury; Thu Sep 28, 2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Not sure if this has been posted here yet.

There is a longer version with Drake and Lebron. All this was shot in Toronto.

Drake recruiting Lebron to Toronto confirmed...

Comment

• Three things that got away

(technically if we can't ever catch Lebron, he got away)
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Dennis Shroder arrested on battery charges yesterday. Released on bail.

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
                              Dennis Shroder arrested on battery charges yesterday. Released on bail.
                              Android or iPhone

Comment

• Lebron with the ankle sprain? It was probably healed before he reached the bench, but I'll take anything I can get against the Cavs.

Comment

Working...
                                X