No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey remember when every Raptors star player, before the current core's era, eventually asked for a trade or walked in FA? We have a 50+ win team of American players calling Toronto "home," one of the best GM's in the entire league, and a bandwagon full of fans who have given up two days into free agency.

You guys have no idea what this roster will be in 1, 2, or 3 years. No idea.

Daryl Morey had a Houston roster with a bunch of nice role players in the summer of 2012 (hello Kyle Lowry and Patrick Patterson!). He was way to good of a GM to have a team draft in the top 5 without tanking, even post-Yao/McGrady. I remember the angst and calls to blow it apart. Over the next five years, without tanking, he found ways to add James Harden, Dwight Howard (lol), and Chris Paul to his team. Now Houston is 1 of the 2 NBA cities 'Melo is willing to go to, too.

There are ways to get better. Glad we have a good GM. He kept his stars + talked them into 3 years!
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      How do you figure? Are you assuming S&T? Raptors won't be able to free up enough salary to be $26M under the salary cap line (which is at about $99M).
      Has to be under the apron, not the cap line. So 119M. Then we get hard capped at 125M I was explained.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        Has to be under the apron, not the cap line. So 119M. Then we get hard capped at 125M I was explained.
        Yeah that's true.. but that's for trades and using exceptions like the MLE. Raptors can in no way get $26M under the salary cap line to get a free agent like Gallo. Only way would be via S&T. And I don't think Denver wants to do that considering they are looking to shed salary themselves so that they can get George Hill.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Yeah that's true.. but that's for trades and using exceptions like the MLE. Raptors can in no way get $26M under the salary cap line to get a free agent like Gallo. Only way would be via S&T. And I don't think Denver wants to do that considering they are looking to shed salary themselves so that they can get George Hill.
          I did mean S&T. But yeah good point.

Comment

• Denver has 6 PF's now looking for a good PG they can afford.

We have 4 PG's looking for a good PF we can afford.

In a perfect world, something would happen.

I'm not holding my breath, but maybe after Free Agency is over and everyone is settled, there's hope.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              3 way trade perhaps or 4 way trade including brooklyn
              Maybe an eight way trade
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Some of the posts in here. Top 5 point guard re-signs. Ibaka re-signs. Both on short deals. When 5 years ago this team would have lost everyone. Team is poised to win 50 plus games for three straight seasons. Raps have a group of young guys poised to get big minutes. There is one better team in the East. And people want to rebuild. Even when it is clear that is not happening (nor does it make any damn sense in the real world) people are still pining for some sort of fantasy basketball game to play out in real time.
                Thank you.

Not sure why anyone thinks that tanking is a guarantee of a championship. How many teams have tanked in the last decade? How many of them have won championships. Here is the list of winners: Spurs Celtics, Lakers, Miami, Mavericks, Golden State, Cavaliers.And the list of opponents that aren't already mentioned: Oklahoma City Thunder, Orlando Magic.

How many of them successfully tanked to get that championship?
                How many of them successfully engineered a "Super Three" or a "Super Four?"

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  Agreed. Getting one or the other of CJ or Patterson is super boring. That makes us no better. Yea this team is gonna be a mess next season
                  I wonder how many season wins meets your definition of "a mess?" 45, 50, 55?

Comment

• I'm confused about the angst over millsap on here.

It would have been intriguing if we went that route but the fact that we didn't doesn't mean that Masai has "lost his touch".

I mean, any number of things could have happened there. Incomplete list of possibilities:

1) Millsap didn't want to come here
                    2) Masai couldn't make a deal work to clear space
                    3) Masai doesn't see Serge as a 5 full time and therefore intends to keep JV or play Jakob there for now, and will look for a replacement at the 3

I am guessing that #1 and/or #3 are more likely than #2, since if Masai and Millsap were keen i'd find it hard to imagine that Atlanta wouldn't take salary dumps + picks given where they sit now. But I'm just speculating on that front.

Now, I'm not overly optimistic about the team at the moment but I think we could be locked in to a worse scenario. If things don't pan out we can probably blow up this squad within 1 calendar year quite easily.
                    Last edited by KHD; Mon Jul 3, 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                      Denver has 6 PF's now looking for a good PG they can afford.

We have 4 PG's looking for a good PF we can afford.

In a perfect world, something would happen.

I'm not holding my breath, but maybe after Free Agency is over and everyone is settled, there's hope.
                      I'm guessing that Denver & Atlanta may be more likely trade partners. Denver has a ton of front court players and looking to shed salary. Atlanta has almost no frontcourt players (seriously - they only have Collins & Kaba (both of whom they drafted this year) and Plumlee in the front court) and the ability to take on salary. Atlanta may even try to 'tweak' Denver's nose by asking them to include draft picks as payback for them signing Millsap.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                        I'm guessing that Denver & Atlanta may be more likely trade partners. Denver has a ton of front court players and looking to shed salary. Atlanta has almost no frontcourt players (seriously - they only have Collins & Kaba (both of whom they drafted this year) and Plumlee in the front court) and the ability to take on salary. Atlanta may even try to 'tweak' Denver's nose by asking them to include draft picks as payback for them signing Millsap.
                        They have Plumlee too I think, not that it really matters

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          I'm confused about the angst over millsap on here.
                          I can't say I've been following the free agency stuff that closely but the only place I ever heard Milsap to Toronto was on here.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            I can't say I've been following the free agency stuff that closely but the only place I ever heard Milsap to Toronto was on here.
                            yeah that's kind of what i'm getting at. It seems most likely to me that one or both parties weren't interested. There isn't any indication that any contact was even made as far as i can tell.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Shultz is less than reliable, but if there's a market for JV that's great news (assuming it's a given they are moving JV, which it has looked like lately). Surprising, but good. If you can come out of the off-season with extra assets and under the tax, with only Carroll to dump next summer to be able to bring back Powell, you are in really good shape. Need a PF. Hey how great would it be if Pat came back after all to start at PF?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X