Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewro wrote: View Post
    Now Dan, you know when we talked about this the idea was to move JV and save $7m.
    Dedmon gives us defense for half the price and allows yak to grow into the starting role.
    However, I think he will get a better offer.
    Even if Dedmon signs for the MLE (doubtful as it is), why would he sign here rather than elsewhere?
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Even if Dedmon signs for the MLE (doubtful as it is), why would he sign here rather than elsewhere?
      That's what I meant by better offer - more money or a better opportunity.
      Also have to find a taker for JV and not take any salary back.

Comment

Now Dan, you know when we talked about this the idea was to move JV and save $7m.
        Dedmon gives us defense for half the price and allows yak to grow into the starting role.
        However, I think he will get a better offer.
        No, what I mean is, if the plan was to spend like 15M into the tax and keep a lot of this core together, by shedding salary via the JV-to-Dedmon downgrade, and losing some other salary somehow, you still wouldn't be able to do it. Using the MLE puts a hard cap on the team 6M above the tax line. Meaning that doing that forces you to further shed salary to be able to bring the same guys back - so the salary freed up from the JV-to-Dedmon downgrade saves the team money but no flexibility at all, assuming they were looking to spend into the tax. If they were going to dodge the tax, in all likelihood they would not be looking to replace JV with Dedmon but with Poeltl/Ibaka, there's just not enough money saved in the Dedmon case.

Nevermind that Dedmon is a very similar player to Biyombo, who was a completely disastrous pairing with Ibaka in Orlando this year, so I wouldn't be interested in that sort of downgrade anyway. If you move on from JV, it's almost certainly to have Ibaka start at C (or have Poeltl be the de facto starter but Ibaka take most of the minutes).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yes Dan, I agree the $ is tricky, however, if we used the stretch provision on Demarre that would be about $6m per yr which looks about enough to make it work, possibly, we don't know who is back or what $ they will make yet.
          Again, not saying I want to do this deal or that it's not flawed in many ways.
          However, I think it can be considered beyond saying Dedmon is biyombo and we're the magic. Offensively, Dedmon is a downgrade (JV doesn't get usage anyway) but not defensively and I'm not at all convinced that he wouldn't be a better fit, as this team is constructed/used.

Comment

Yes Dan, I agree the $ is tricky, however, if we used the stretch provision on Demarre that would be about $6m per yr which looks about enough to make it work, possibly, we don't know who is back or what $ they will make yet.
            Again, not saying I want to do this deal or that it's not flawed in many ways.
            However, I think it can be considered beyond saying Dedmon is biyombo and we're the magic. Offensively, Dedmon is a downgrade (JV doesn't get usage anyway) but not defensively and I'm not at all convinced that he wouldn't be a better fit, as this team is constructed/used.
            To get under the tax? Are you letting both Pat and Tucker walk then?

I'm convinced that even if Dedmon is a better fit (disagree with that), he's ultimately at best a tradeoff of lower talent for better fit, and if we are going to do that we should just play BeBe or Poeltl. Much cheaper options.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• You have to use the talent or its meaningless. Dedmon would be used on every defensive possession that he's on the floor. JV is barely used on offense. I don't know how the rotation of Dedmon/yak/Ibaka would be used (I can imagine a few scenarios) but I like the potential to have a D anchor for 48mins.
              We haven't signed anyone yet and we don't know the $ amount. Hypothetically, if you move Cory, bebe, JV and stretch Demarre that's around $34m, assuming we don't take anything back (unlikely). Is kyle coming back? For $28m or 35? Ibaka at $20m or $25? We don't know yet so it's possible JV is moved. That's not my first choice but I'm not gonna protect him at all costs. He's not THAT good.

Comment

• So... not sure where to put this. But it does raise an obvious question!

Comment

• Ball wrote: View Post

So... not sure where to put this. But it does raise an obvious question!
                  Completely awesome.

Comment

• http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...tract-details/

Two years ago, Amir Johnson left Toronto to sign with the Celtics, and left his beloved Raptors fans with a heartfelt message on social media. “Don’t take this as a goodbye,” he said, “but more of a see you later.”

That later could be coming soon. Johnson is slated to be a free agent this summer after spending the last two seasons in Boston. There’s virtually no chance that the Celtics, who are planning to bring in young big guys Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele, will re-sign Johnson come July. Johnson started 77 games for Boston, but was the starter in only nine of the team’s 18 playoff games and did not play at all in four of them.

But his Boston exit could lead Johnson back to his adopted home in Toronto. Multiple league sources told Sporting News this week that there is mutual interest in getting Johnson back onto the Raptors’ roster this summer.

Toronto’s priority remains finding a way to keep both point guard Kyle Lowry and power forward Serge Ibaka. That could be a tall order for a team with a little less than $30 million in cap space and about $50 million under the luxury tax.

But once those issues are settled, bringing back Johnson is a strong consideration on Toronto’s list. He was a community favorite in his six seasons in Toronto, participating in the city’s Zombie Walk and hosting a party for his biggest fans under the banner of his “I Roll With Amir” event. He also had the red Raptors’ claw carved into his hair for a while.

Johnson will have options when he hits free agency, with a handful of teams having expressed interest, a source said. If the Raptors need too much time to sort out other issues, Johnson would look elsewhere. But a return to Toronto would be the best fit for all involved. In the end, this summer, Johnson could come through on his vow to see Raptors fans later.
                    Interesting. Could be an MLE candidate to fill out the 4 depth if Pat and JV are both gone, with the intention being to play Ibaka mostly at the 5 - having Amir there to defend beside him could help him out, but the rebounding would still be a concern.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...tract-details/

Interesting. Could be an MLE candidate to fill out the 4 depth if Pat and JV are both gone, with the intention being to play Ibaka mostly at the 5 - having Amir there to defend beside him could help him out, but the rebounding would still be a concern.
                      I'm not really sure I want Amir back. He's a great guy but I would be worried that if we kept Casey that he would play him way too much and he would become the next scola. Everyone on this site would be complaining that he's playing too much within 20 games.

Comment

• Big rotation of Ibaka, Amir, Poeltl, Bebe would be great defensively. Got a chance to be top 5 in D with those guys anchoring the D.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Big rotation of Ibaka, Amir, Poeltl, Bebe would be great defensively. Got a chance to be top 5 in D with those guys anchoring the D.
                          Probably only room for one of Poeltl/BeBe, with the other PF minutes going to Tucker in small looks. Still, definitely a solid defensive rotation. I have my doubts offensively and on the boards.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Probably only room for one of Poeltl/BeBe, with the other PF minutes going to Tucker in small looks. Still, definitely a solid defensive rotation. I have my doubts offensively and on the boards.
                            I thought Tucker was a free agent? Is he on for another season?

Comment

• Amir coming back doesn't solve the Cav's issue (not sure what does), but regular season D would look good and be consistent.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                I thought Tucker was a free agent? Is he on for another season?
                                He is a free agent. But so are Lowry and Ibaka, both of whom are also presumably included in the assumed roster (especially Ibaka, who is included in the post I quoted).

And if we are defaulting to current roster players, then just swap Carroll in there. They'll play some small ball for sure.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X