No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the raptors first press conference? How about a mic for the reporters? Can't hear any of the questions.

Comment

• So I guess money is not going to be an issue.

Comment

• I suppose it was inevitable, after such a whitewash loss to the team and player in the Raptors conference ...both destined to be around for at least the next 5 years barring some unforeseen events leading to it's breakup, that the tank vs anti-tank debate start to creep into the discourse here.

Disclosure: I was a member of the last tank brigade when it consumed so many here

This time I am trying to take a more circumspect view. Why? Because the team and management are in a much better place today than it was immediately in the throes of the Colangelo era, departure of Bosh and general position of the franchise within the NBA.

I am however of the opinion that the team is at a somewhat existential moment. And imo it has to revisit the basic vision of "what kind of team it wants to be". Fundamentally....should it's mantra be "defensive" or "offensive". Next evaluation: Does the team have the personnel to execute the chosen vision.

As most of us notice (even Casey has) the league is changing to an offensive style...and as is known teams tend to follow suit with what wins. In this case I believe it's fools gold. There are only so many highly skilled offensive players and their prices are high. I am biased but I would buck this trend and go "defensive". Be the best defensive team in the league and acquire the best players willing to play in the mold.

I think it would be much easier to retool/rebuild the Raptors with a "new" defensive vision built on speed, grit and intimidation. We already have two in the fold (well not quite) in PJ and Ibaka. Of course there is need for some skilled players on the offensive side but they have to be committed defensive types as well (Gordon Hayward comes first to mind). Kawhi of course is the proto but last I heard he is "unavailable". My point...this is the type of player who becomes the anchor of the type of team I wish the Raptors become.

I don't want to get into the weeds of who might be a good coach for such a team but this is obviously important. Discipline to the vision and program has to be unrelenting with no exceptions. Can Dwane Casey execute this?

Anyway, all to say a tank is not necessary and the above should be an "easier" process.

Comment

• Play style... hmmm

New... Coach?

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• "The style of play has to change"....."because of the CBA it's tough to change players". Hmmmmmm.....

Comment

• Awesome, I want a pissed Masai, not an excuses/time for tweaks Masai.

He's right, there's something rotten with the heart of this team. My concern is it's some combination of Casey losing a few guys and Lowry's attitude. If that's true, moving forward rather than dismantling is going to be hard.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Hes not gonna fire Casey

Comment

• Goddang Masai is going in. I'm getting some heavy 'Casey is as good as gone' vibes.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                        Goddang Masai is going in. I'm getting some heavy 'Casey is as good as gone' vibes.
                        Really? I'm getting 100% the opposite. Coach is back
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• What I am getting is a gm that's got a coach on thin ice now. We've tried it your way, now it's my way or the highway. Seems like his meeting with casey this year was more "I talk, you listen"
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Really? I'm getting 100% the opposite. Coach is back
                            Me too. I think he looks to move away from the current leadership (Kyle, etc.).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              And win 45 games tops. Why is this considered a better alternative than flat out tanking?

Really, the tanking/anti-tanking debate comes down to whether one, as a fan, is comfortable with "competing" without a cornerstone player to build around. If so, then by all means stick with the current core and feel surprised when we're inevitably outclassed by better talent in the playoffs. Or sacrifice 3-4 years, cheer on some kids, and at least put yourself on the right path to one day compete for a championship by building around a player who is truly worth building around.

In the 22 years of this franchise's existence, we've only ever had 1 worthy player of building around. And predictably, we have nothing to show for it.
                              Yep I agree, I referenced Portland as not even a likely scenario, but a best case scenario. Really the suggestion is get a star (Paul George) next off season, which probably is honestly less likely than tanking and getting a star from the draft. Having said that, I doubt Masai makes a move to tank until Lowry is officially out the door, in which case it doesn't hurt to wait like 30 games into the season before trading DeRozan or JV.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                What I am getting is a gm that's got a coach on thin ice now. We've tried it your way, now it's my way or the highway. Seems like his meeting with casey this year was more "I talk, you listen"
                                Yeah maybe that's it

Comment

Working...
                                X