Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    Shams is reporting that Orlando and Toronto cannot trade with one another until the end of 17-18 season. ( due to the Weltman deal..pretty common apparently)

So no draft day trades of Carroll or Corey Jo to Orlando. I had my eye on their early second round picks.
    I think that's the reason why.

2nd round pick is a really good asset, either in a trade or development.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      I think that's the reason why.

2nd round pick is a really good asset, either in a trade or development.
      It adds another chip so that we can use to trade Carrol with. Also if we have to attach a first rounder from next year we can at least retain two first rounders and still be able to draft.

Comment

• If they don't bring back neither of Ibaka and Lowry, could they have enough money to get let's say a 15M or 20M (or more...) player?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          If they don't bring back neither of Ibaka and Lowry, could they have enough money to get let's say a 15M or 20M (or more...) player?
          If the Raptors bring back NO free agents, they will have 20M in cap room.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            yeah and unfortunately that isn't enough to bring on anyone new who would be worth while.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              yeah and unfortunately that isn't enough to bring on anyone new who would be worth while.
              Plus the team loses its biggest strengths from last year: Lowry and Depth. Only way Masai makes an impact signing is if a guy wants to bet themselves for a one year deal (I assume for the MLE) Worked with Biz and not so much with Sully. Problem with this is even if Masai nails it, the guy probably still ends up leaving next year for a huge contract. Not sure who that guy is though. Maybe you hope Tyreke Evans has a Waiters-esque resurgence as a primary ball handler off the bench?

Comment

That's worth the thinking IMO. I don't personnally think any of our FA is worth keeping for a lot of money id the goal is really to compete for a ring. There is plenty of interesting players we could get with that money. Let's say we sign one guy with that 20 M$, could we still get someone with the MLE?

Comment

That's worth the thinking IMO. I don't personnally think any of our FA is worth keeping for a lot of money id the goal is really to compete for a ring. There is plenty of interesting players we could get with that money. Let's say we sign one guy with that 20 M$, could we still get someone with the MLE?
                  No, MLE or cap space. If you use cap space, there is a tiny exception called the room MLE but it's not much more valuable than the minimum.

And the guy you are getting for 20M is at best an Ibaka type and at worst a Biyombo type. Not likely to exactly recover from the loss of those 4 key players doing that.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Everything 2017 Off-Season

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    Please don't quit your day job.

This armchair GM'ing is tough work huh?

What's your goal? To be the worst basketball team in the NBA?

At least if we keep some, if not most of our free agents, we can trade them for something later.

Asset management. You need to learn more about Asset management.

Just last year Ibaka was traded to Orlando.

The Thunder received guard Victor Oladipo (former #2 pick), forward Ersan Ilyasova and the rights to power forward Domantas Sabonis, who was taken with the 11th pick in the NBA draft on Thursday night.

Then we traded our first round pick and Ross for Ibaka some months ago.

Now you want us to let Ibaka walk for nothing!!!!??

Lowry is an all-star this year (3x) and all-NBA player the year before and you want us to let him to walk for nothing!!!??

We gave up a second round pick for PJ Tucker and you want us to let him walk for nothing!!!??

For 20 million, which couldn't even get us a star player..... Unbelievable.

If we did what you're suggesting, I think it would be the beginning of the end. We would be in the worst possible situation moving forward.......Is that your goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not really worth thinking about - unless the goal is to torpedo down the standings - and even that would be difficult unless we dump DeRozan for future assets this summer as well. There's actually not that many interesting players available this summer at at around the $20 million mark, and none of them would come close to offsetting the production lost by letting Lowry, Ibaka, Patterson and Tucker go for no compensation.

You're right about the current core not being championship calibre - how can anyone disagree given how this season ended. But I'd also avoid getting trapped in the mindset that we're automatically locked into this team for the next 4 years because we begin the 2017-18 season with them. Things change very quickly in the NBA, all the time, and I do think there's value in maintaining a very good team while giving yourself options to improve or change course moving forward. Trades are always an option. Players continue to come off the books with each passing year.

The notion that we should turn the team on it's head because we're not a championship contender this very second keeps popping up around here, with little thought seemingly given to the fact that the alternative you're laying out leaves us much further away from the ultimate goal than where we currently stand. Signing a Jrue-Holiday level player for $20 million and then what? Hoping we strike gold with the 17th overall pick we'll get next summer? If we want to be a truly great team - depleting our current roster (and our asset base moving forward at the same time) with no real plan on how to get back to this level seems counter intuitive to say the least.
                      Last edited by Fully; Sat May 27, 2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• So Dewayne Dedmon Declined $3M Player Option With Spurs after averaging 17.5 minutes, 5.1 points and 6.5 rebounds in 76 games this season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...163844482.html

Rumors were that Masai was very interested in signing him last summer but the Spurs swept in and sweet talked him for cheap.

Any thoughts about Masai kicking the tires there again?
                        Last edited by Hotshot; Tue May 30, 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          So Dewayne Dedmon Declined $3M Player Option With Spurs after averaging 17.5 minutes, 5.1 points and 6.5 rebounds in 76 games this season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...163844482.html

Rumors were that Masai was very interested in signing him last summer but the Spurs swept in and sweet talked him for cheap.

Any thoughts about Masai kicking the tires there again?
                          He declined his player option because he thinks - probably correctly - that he can get $10m plus on the open market. That's far too pricey for us.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                            He declined his player option because he thinks - probably correctly - that he can get $10m plus on the open market. That's far too pricey for us.
                            This is something I posted about recently. Would he take the mle for $8m?

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                              This is something I posted about recently. Would he take the mle for $8m?
                              Could be, but it would mean shedding further salary to avoid/reduce tax beyond what they already have to do if they want to keep their free agents.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Could be, but it would mean shedding further salary to avoid/reduce tax beyond what they already have to do if they want to keep their free agents.
                                Now Dan, you know when we talked about this the idea was to move JV and save $7m.
                                Dedmon gives us defense for half the price and allows yak to grow into the starting role.
                                However, I think he will get a better offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X