Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    side note, that fan pretty well expresses my reaction to the raptors play this post-season. but more in a "why the fuck are we still doing the same dumb shit?" kind of way.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I don't care what his reasoning is. I don't think either of those teams can sign him out right. Can you do S&T under the new CBA?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      I mean Houston is under the cap right now, so it wouldn't be hard to get space. Assuming Manu retires they still will have some trouble finding space for Lowry.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...s-nba-playoffs

Haven't read it yet, but its Zach Lowe and I am pretty sure it applies to this thread.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...s-nba-playoffs

Haven't read it yet, but its Zach Lowe and I am pretty sure it applies to this thread.
          great article
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Well here's the clear takeaway moving forward with regards to blowing it up:
            This path is unpleasant. It is pain. It is empty seats, dull crowds, and dino sadness as the Maple Leafs rise. Bottoming out guarantees nothing. Sometimes you get Tim Duncan. Sometimes you get Bargnani.
            Now that's definitely depressing and something that'd banish Toronto basketball back into obscurity for another 10+ years.

Comment

Nice overall summary of the Raps situation by an un-biased and respected highly basketball analyst. This part was interesting to me....

Toronto's All-Star backcourt underperforms every postseason, to the point that the team's public relations department included in their game notes last week a nugget showing how many times DeMar DeRozan failed to reached double figures in the playoffs.

Perhaps the pressure unnerves them, though DeRozan responds to every stinker with a 30-point explosion. Maybe the lack of collective playmaking in Toronto's low-assist system is more of a handicap in the playoffs, when teams trap DeRozan and Lowry, and dare Toronto to beat them with passing and shooting the Raptors don't have. Is that on the coaching staff for building that system, and failing to adapt? Or is that style in the DNA of Toronto's star players?

Regardless: The offense fails in April and May, and the team as presently constituted is miles from threatening Cleveland. The Cavaliers give no thought to anyone in the East beyond John Wall and Bradley Beal. This is not just about missing open shots; the Raptors actually shot 39 percent against Cleveland on semi-open 3s, with the nearest defender between four and six feet from the shooter, best among all teams in the conference semifinals.
              Last edited by golden; Sun May 7, 2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

"Perhaps the best way to do that: Re-sign Lowry, even if it takes the full max, let Ibaka go, and fill the power forward vacancy with multiple players on shorter, cheaper contracts. That is risky. The last two years of Lowry's five-year deal will hurt."

Eventually getting either Jerebko or Casspi to fill the PF spot.
                Sounds good to me.

Comment

• How can the Raptors get Hayward?
                  I know it's a long shot but...

Comment

• I imagine Ujiri had an idea of what he would do with an unsatisfactory playoffs when he got Ibaka. Lowe is right, it just doesn't make sense financially to sign both Ibaka and Lowry to huge contracts and treadmill as a 1st/2nd round playoff team. As sad as it seems, I don't think the talent of this team can improve this off season.

Comment

• Maybe if the clippers tear down we could go after deandre Jordan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                        Lol good luck, you're going to have it tougher there guarding guys like Curry, Westbrook, Harden and so on.
                        No big deal for Kyle guarding those 3, imo.
                        It's the Spurs we're talking here.
                        He will have better chances of getting a ring there than with any other team in the East not named Cavaliers.

Comment

• 2017 Off-season

LateBoomer wrote: View Post
                          No big deal for Kyle guarding those 3, imo.
                          It's the Spurs we're talking here.
                          He will have better chances of getting a ring there than with any other team in the East not named Cavaliers.
                          Kyle is as bad of a man defender as Demar. If you look at the box score opposing point guards always go off against us.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                            Kyle is as bad of a man defender as Demar. If you look at the box score opposing point guards always go off against us.

u kidding, bro?
                            Kyle has always been among THE best defensive PGs in the league!

6. Kyle Lowry, 4.14
                            Lowry’s hot shooting is one thing but his defense sets him apart from Eastern Conference peers. Lowry is broad and can body bigger guards while using unheralded quickness to stay in front of smaller ones.

http://hoop.nba.com/nba_hoop_feature...sive-pointers/

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                              I think we will see Masai start a "reconstruction" of the team. Lowry will walk, Powell & DD will become the new pair and we will attempt to follow the way of the league with shooters, tread water with "new" plots and twists on Open Gym to ultimately we finally rebuild when that core doesn't even come close and Masai's contract is up, MLSE cashed in a bit more on a couple more Playoff runs, we trade DD with a couple years left on his contract and then the rebuild FINALLY takes place....at least that's what the lady with the crystal ball told me.
                              I think continuing to try to move forward is the most likely, with at least a couple of key changes (hopefully coaching, maybe Lowry). When you have talent on your roster you work with it, period. Teams don't tear it down and tank until they're really out of options and have next to nothing to lose.

This team is a slightly more successful pre-Harden Houston or pre-Gobert Jazz, teams that have some talent and keep trying to move forward even though there are some calls to just tear it down. "We're either winning the conference or we're blowing it up!" is a pretty fan thing to say (some talking heads, too). Maybe Toronto never gets anywhere with these guys and ends up hitting the lottery anyway, but you still give trying to get better a shot at this point imho. Sometimes you land James Harden, or Chris Paul, or (pipe dream) Ray Allen + KG. It's rare but it is possible to take a leap from this position. And if you can't, you go to the lottery in a couple of years like the pro-tankers wanted to anyway. It's a win-win!

This series was a disappointment, but overall the last 4 years have been a pretty big success. They'll try to build on it.

You don't want to lose talent like the Hawks and Pacers the last few years, that would be a big reason to try to re-sign players this summer then make changes via coaching and trades down the road.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                I think continuing to try to move forward is the most likely, with at least a couple of key changes (hopefully coaching, maybe Lowry). When you have talent on your roster you work with it, period. Teams don't tear it down and tank until they're really out of options and have next to nothing to lose.
                                Works for big market American teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X