No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no feel for how much of an impact Weltman actually had on Raptor player acquisition/development. Can anyone comment?

Seems like Masai and Weltman had a good rapport...Orlando has some good pieces (eg Gordon)...wonder if this can translate.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      I have no feel for how much of an impact Weltman actually had on Raptor player acquisition/development. Can anyone comment?

Seems like Masai and Weltman had a good rapport...Orlando has some good pieces (eg Gordon)...wonder if this can translate.
      When Ujiri was being wooed by Tim Leiweke to run the Raps in the summer of 2013, he made three requests of the then MLSE president and CEO before taking the gig.

1. He wanted a D-League team, to which Leiweke would deliver.

2. He wanted a practice facility, to which Leiweke would deliver.

And 3. He wanted Weltman, who was assistant GM in Milwaukee at the time.
      http://www.tsn.ca/report-raptors-los...magic-1.758619

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        He certainly did....

Difference between "research shows" and liking.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Difference between "research shows" and liking.
          I love how people continue to recite this tweet like it somehow delegitimizes Weltman. Alternative tweet, "Raps assistant GM confirms research shows Raps' style of play and ability to score in paint is not conducive to playoff basketball. Team has no chance. Players should give up. Discusses on eve of playoffs why team should be blown up....."

Comment

• It's almost a natural byproduct of handing star players more minutes. Though nuanced sets are certainly prevalent on the biggest stages, plays more frequently devolve into one-on-one attacks. The sport's best are content to strut their stuff in the form of isolation attacks, singling out a defenders and doing their darnedest to embarrass them en route to the hoop.

We've seen Stephen Curry dancing around with the ball before knocking down a pull-up jumper. We've all witnessed Kyrie Irving flashing his ball-handling wizardry. We've seen LeBron James bully his way to the hoop for a physical finish. And despite the second-round elimination, no one has been better in isolation than DeMar DeRozan this postseason.

Only James Harden (61) has used more iso possessions than DeRozan's 59. But while the bearded guard's 1.13 points per possession leave him in the 76th percentile, his Toronto counterpart's 1.32 put him in the 97th percentile. To find the next player in the top 10 percent, we must travel down to Dennis Schroder, who accomplished the feat with the No. 16 possession tally—a mere 20.

But while standouts certainly exist, does this potential myth hold merit?

With 59 postseason games in the books, the NBA as a whole has run 1141 isolation plays (19.3 per game). Based on team possession data, 9.21 percent of playoff action has fallen into this category, for an average of 0.911 points per possession.

During the regular season, the Association tallied 19,830 isolation plays over the course of 1,230 games (16.1 per game). That means 7.43 percent of the overall possessions could be classified as isolation sets, and they produced 0.882 points per possession.

Yes, the league is getting more isolation-heavy in the playoffs, but still not with enough efficiency to justify the volume gains.
            http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-actually-true
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              I love how people continue to recite this tweet like it somehow delegitimizes Weltman. Alternative tweet, "Raps assistant GM confirms research shows Raps' style of play and ability to score in paint is not conducive to playoff basketball. Team has no chance. Players should give up. Discusses on eve of playoffs why team should be blown up....."
              Well, Weltman's research IS certainly de-legitimized. Raps ISO style of play being conducive to playoff basketball was most definitely confirmed to be 100% opposite of reality - from no other than Masai himself. So yeah, that's an unequivocal mulligan for Weltman and a major problem for this franchise, if that's what Weltman believed and was behind.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Well, Weltman's research IS certainly de-legitimized. Raps ISO style of play being conducive to playoff basketball was most definitely confirmed to be 100% opposite of reality - from no other than Masai himself. So yeah, that's an unequivocal mulligan for Weltman and a major problem for this franchise, if that's what Weltman believed and was behind.
                To be fair ISO ball certainly has played a big part in other teams playoff success, just not the Raptors. Also I think we can all agree that there have been other variables which have hurt the Raps in the playoffs, not that I am sad to *knock on wood* see the ISO ball go.

Either way the guy almost certainly has other positive qualities.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  To be fair ISO ball certainly has played a big part in other teams playoff success, just not the Raptors. Also I think we can all agree that there have been other variables which have hurt the Raps in the playoffs, not that I am sad to *knock on wood* see the ISO ball go.

Either way the guy almost certainly has other positive qualities.
                  True, but those successful playoff teams had Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, etc... and Weltman specifically refers to the "Raptors" style of play. Lowry and DD aren't those guys. Even Lebron and Durant have transitioned away from ISO.

Comment

• I'm kind of torn on whether I'm hoping to keep Lowry or not BUT if we do keep him I did think of one scenario that may work for both teams to shed us of the DeMarre Carroll contract.

TOR TRADES: DeMarre Carroll, Delon Wright

CHA TRADES: Marco Belinelli, Ramon Sessions

Why for TOR: Saves us 3 million this season so not really a big factor but gives us 12.5 million coming off the books the end of next year. Also we are in bad need of shooters and Belinelli fits the bill much better than anyone else we would likely get. Hurts to let Delon Wright go but if we keep Lowry than he is realistically just our third PG for the next few years anyways so for the immediate future (next season) Belinelli would help us more. Sessions can be our third PG next year. These guys will both be free agents next year versus another year of Carroll for 14 million after that.

Why for CHA: The biggest need by far on there team is a backup PG. Delon Wright has good potential and will be better than anyone they can draft at 11. They don't have money to sign anyone. Also DeMarre Carroll would provide a decent backup for MKG who has a lot of injury problems. He may be better coming off the bench and playing less minutes with his issues too.

Comment

• The bigger concern is money this summer, not long term money. Next summer both Carroll and JV will effectively be on expiring deals and should be easier to move for relief. This summer is the issue.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Would you guys trade JV for Tony Parker? Why so? Thanks!

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          Would you guys trade JV for Tony Parker? Why so? Thanks!
                          Only if:
                          1. Lowry goes
                          2. SA give us their 1st rounder and Raps draft Evans
                          No new friends (c)

Comment

• But i think ya can really get more for JV
                            No new friends (c)

Comment

• MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
                              Only if:
                              1. Lowry goes
                              2. SA give us their 1st rounder and Raps draft Evans
                              Yes off course if Lowry goes. I don't know who is Evans! And as for the 1st rounder, well yeah, if the Raptors can get it, that would be great.

I think switching Lowry for Parker would change the team completely. We would take a little step back maybe, but I think the winning mentality would be so much better. Maybe a change of coach would help also. I would like to see a frontcourt of Ibaka and Patterson starting, with Poeltl and Nogueira as the backup centers. I also think the Spurs will get Chris Paul, so that would give them a great team again (which I'm all for ahah).

Then after, I think in 2018 Masai could manage to get PG.

Ibaka/Poeltl/Nogueira
                              Patterson/Siakam/Sophomore
                              George/Caboclo/Rookie
                              DeRozan/Powell/Rookie
                              Parker/Wright/Van Vleet

NBA Champs material right here.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                                Yes off course if Lowry goes. I don't know who is Evans! And as for the 1st rounder, well yeah, if the Raptors can get it, that would be great.

I think switching Lowry for Parker would change the team completely. We would take a little step back maybe, but I think the winning mentality would be so much better. Maybe a change of coach would help also. I would like to see a frontcourt of Ibaka and Patterson starting, with Poeltl and Nogueira as the backup centers. I also think the Spurs will get Chris Paul, so that would give them a great team again (which I'm all for ahah).

Then after, I think in 2018 Masai could manage to get PG.

Ibaka/Poeltl/Nogueira
                                Patterson/Siakam/Sophomore
                                George/Caboclo/Rookie
                                DeRozan/Powell/Rookie
                                Parker/Wright/Van Vleet

NBA Champs material right here.
                                Switching Lowry for Parker, nevermind losing JV, would definitely change the team completely. We'd be terrible. I'd rather just start Joseph, whose defence-first play at PG at least supplements Demar's heavy use offensive game somewhat.

Zero interest in a declining Parker. Heck, trading JV for Parker on his draft night was a debate worth having (though I would't have made the trade then either). Doing it now, when Parker is going on 35 years old, and just came off the worst year of his career?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X