Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Except we're at a very different point at our "rebuild" than those two teams. They had cap space to add another piece - Harden, George Hill - we don't. They still have cap space, unlike us where, even if we don't re-sign Lowry but we re-sign Ibaka, we're capped out. And to be slightly more successful than them... they didn't have any stars at the time! If we're slightly more successful than those teams - in the Jazz's case, pre-Gobert, a lottery team - and we're stuck at a crossroads where several major players are going into free agency... then we likely don't have the ability to move forward.
    Harden was a trade, Gobert was a 27th pick. Point is people were calling to blow up "treadmill" rosters with those two franchises and they instead found ways to get better. They haven't won anything yet, but they've found ways to improve.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Is there any way Lowry goes to Utah?

Hill's an FA along with Hayward.... and don't they have the cap to go after Lowry? Imagine a Lowry-Gobert pick and roll with me.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Raptors Off-Season Plan (Resigning Lowry and Ibaka)

For the upcoming 2017-2018 season, the salary cap will be around $101M and the tax threshold will roughly be $121M. The Raptors will undoubtedly be above the cap and into the tax threshold. Let's assume the Raptors are planning to keep the core of the team with Derozan, Lowry and Ibaka. The 3 combined will make almost 70% of the $121M tax threshold. If this is the case, the Raptors will need to get rid of the following contracts:

Carroll:$14.8M
        Joseph: $7.66M
        Caboclo: $2.45M
        Total Salary: $24.91M to trade

Furthermore, Patterson will also need to go, as he will likely make above $10M per year.

With the roster below (11 players), the team salary will be roughly $124M (already $3M above the tax threshold):
        PG: Lowry / Wright / VanVleet
        SG: Derozan / Powell
        SF: Tucker
        PF: Ibaka / Siakam
        C: Valanciunas / Poeltl / Bebe

With this roster, the Raptors will need to fill the rest of the team with wings that can shoot threes. 2 players I would possibly target are: Vince Carter and Jodie Meeks.

Let's assume the Raptors can somehow acquire these 2 players by trading the 3 players that I listed and is able to dump the remaining salary to teams that are under the cap. Carter and Meeks will probably combine to make around $12M or less. Once you add these 2 players, the roster will be roughly $135M ($14M above the tax threshold):

SG: Derozan / Powell / Meeks
        SF: Tucker / Carter

As mentioned in the beginning, the Raptors will be above the tax threshold. I think the new roster above can still be competitive in the East, maybe top 4 in the conference. It will still be difficult to beat the Cavs, but the 3pt shooting will definitely help. I think the Raptors will need to assemble a team like this if they plan to bring back Lowry and Ibaka.

Comment

• Trying to look at all the teams that we could possibly dump carroll to. Anyway chance we can flip him, JV, Cojo or a first to the Knicks for Melo if they are desperate enough and can't find any other suitors.

Main advantage would be dumping Carroll and also getting another scorer that fills our hole at the 3 and can also play as a small-ball 4.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
            Trying to look at all the teams that we could possibly dump carroll to. Anyway chance we can flip him, JV, Cojo or a first to the Knicks for Melo if they are desperate enough and can't find any other suitors.

Main advantage would be dumping Carroll and also getting another scorer that fills our hole at the 3 and can also play as a small-ball 4.
            I was thinking, and I do think Toronto will try this if they decide to bring the core back together. The blood is so bad in NY I wouldn't be surprised they agreed to a Melo-for-Carroll and a pick plus salary matching trade just to get rid of him, and Toronto doesn't have any other possibilities to add this level of talent.

The fit is about as bad as they come, I just don't believe in Melo anymore, and honestly I don't think he would sign off to come to Toronto. I still think he'll stay in the tug of war with Phil till the end.

But I do think Ujiri will try it if the decision is to give this core another go. Which is far from a foregone conclusion. Again, thinking it will happen and wishing for it to happen are separate things though.

Comment

• There's already a bunch of threads about the same thing, I feel like we are getting overloaded with redundant threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• LateBoomer wrote: View Post
                "Perhaps the best way to do that: Re-sign Lowry, even if it takes the full max, let Ibaka go, and fill the power forward vacancy with multiple players on shorter, cheaper contracts. That is risky. The last two years of Lowry's five-year deal will hurt."

Eventually getting either Jerebko or Casspi to fill the PF spot.
                Sounds good to me.
                If we end up with Jerebko or Casspi at PF we will be moving backwards again.

Pretty much the entirety of Masai's tenure has featured a revolving door at the 4 (and at the 3). At some point we either have to solve for those positions or concede that the 1/2/5 mix is fundamentally flawed.

One of the more interesting​ takeaways from Lowe was that he'd prefer Lowry on a big deal over Ibaka on a smaller one. He's right imo; the red flags and net impact favor Kyle.

Comment

• Lowry is a pretty bad individual defender - Cory Joseph is miles better in terms of not dying on screens, not getting blown by, getting a hand up on contests...

But Lowry is also a fantastic team defender - he sees opposing offences better than almost anybody, can blow up plays all by himself with his foresight (similar to what LeBron did to the Raptors' offence in several plays this series), and is the sort of hustle competitor that can swing defensive possessions with effort rather than talent. In a league where even the best guard defenders can get blown past (see Cory in the 4th Q last night) by a good offensive point guard, Lowry's form of defence can actually be more valuable. It would be easier to hide DeRozan if Lowry didn't also struggle individually, but that's a team structure issue more than a Lowry issue - he still has an incredible impact on the team on both ends in spite of his shortcomings on both ends.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• There is indeed a dedicated salary thread stickied at the top for detailed breakdowns of the cap situation.

I am curious to know what salaries you are assuming for your re-signed players.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think if they can get Lowry and Ibaka at a fair price, then they do it. If that puts them over the threshold then they worry about correcting that after these guys are locked up. That's less than ideal for the guys signing the cheques but if they're serious about competing they need to protect the assets first and foremost. This isn't the NFL where losing a stud to FA isn't a total team crippler.

Comment

• Oh and FYI to 6GOD, I merged your thread with the FA thread. Sorry but we don't need multiple threads on the same topic. I like the effort though, good post.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                          There's already a bunch of threads about the same thing, I feel like we are getting overloaded with redundant threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yep. There needs to be an "Everything 2017 Off-Season Thread". And this is it.
                          Last edited by golden; Mon May 8, 2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Maybe it's the hangover talking, but I'm not really sure I know what I want to see this summer, between keeping the core together vs. blowing it up and starting from scratch.

I'm not sure I can stomach another 90 games of slow starts, questionable execution, limited playbook, obvious rotation blunders, and another inevitable loss to Cleveland.

But I might be able to get behind forcing heavy minutes to Wright, Powell, Bruno, Siakam, VanVleet, Poeltlt, etc. to see what we have, with the luxury of multiple picks on the horizon.

Comment

• 6GOD wrote: View Post
                              For the upcoming 2017-2018 season, the salary cap will be around $101M and the tax threshold will roughly be $121M. The Raptors will undoubtedly be above the cap and into the tax threshold. Let's assume the Raptors are planning to keep the core of the team with Derozan, Lowry and Ibaka. The 3 combined will make almost 70% of the $121M tax threshold. If this is the case, the Raptors will need to get rid of the following contracts:

Carroll:$14.8M
                              Joseph: $7.66M
                              Caboclo: $2.45M
                              Total Salary: $24.91M to trade

Furthermore, Patterson will also need to go, as he will likely make above $10M per year.

With the roster below (11 players), the team salary will be roughly $124M (already $3M above the tax threshold):
                              SG: Derozan / Powell
                              SF: Tucker

With this roster, the Raptors will need to fill the rest of the team with wings that can shoot threes. 2 players I would possibly target are: Vince Carter and Jodie Meeks.

Let's assume the Raptors can somehow acquire these 2 players by trading the 3 players that I listed and is able to dump the remaining salary to teams that are under the cap. Carter and Meeks will probably combine to make around $12M or less. Once you add these 2 players, the roster will be roughly $135M ($14M above the tax threshold):

SG: Derozan / Powell / Meeks
                              SF: Tucker / Carter

As mentioned in the beginning, the Raptors will be above the tax threshold. I think the new roster above can still be competitive in the East, maybe top 4 in the conference. It will still be difficult to beat the Cavs, but the 3pt shooting will definitely help. I think the Raptors will need to assemble a team like this if they plan to bring back Lowry and Ibaka.
                              Right like the key is we need to surround Derozan with shooters. PJ tucker can start ... Additionally I think Poetl will play a big role.

Comment

• Does anyone think it may play out like this? Demar and Kyle are both equal leaders on the team. Offer Kyle the Demar contract and maybe the team has flexibility going forward. It's a ton of cash but if it's not the max. If he takes it, great but if he declines, it's time to move on. The counter argument is that Demar pretty much got the max so by Kyle could ask to match that instead. Not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X