Thread: Everything 2017 Off-Season

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is badass!

Raptors Republic Veteran KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Serge comes in at 69.
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

3. Like JamesNaismith liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    This is badass!

Bruno will have #5 and #20 go up at the Hershey Center soon.

5. Like Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Richardson just signed an extension a year ahead of being a RFA. 4 year $42 mill.

I'd be willing to bet this same offer is on the table for Norm to sign this fall. Would be great to get him locked up early.

7. Like Mapko, Demographic Shift liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    Josh Richardson just signed an extension a year ahead of being a RFA. 4 year $42 mill.

I'd be willing to bet this same offer is on the table for Norm to sign this fall. Would be great to get him locked up early.
    That'd be a hell of a deal to get Norm locked into.

9. Like Rudy Bargnani, Demographic Shift liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The money well dried up this year....more than a few players had a pretty sobering experience this FA season.
    Caldwell Pope for 18M$
    Pat got 16M$ for 3 years.
    Waiters 4 and 52m$
    McLemore 2 and 10
    Rudy Gay opted out and got 2 over 17 i think

And both Mirotic in Chicago and Green in Memphis who hit RFA.....are still dangling and might have to sign QO or really club friendly deals.

Guts call for Norms agent to take 40 and 4 now or try the market.

Hope he gets as much from the Raps as he can and stays..pretty good raise from 800k to north of 10M$...tempting....Agent better read the market right
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Sep 13th, 2017 at 07:21 PM.

11. Like RDV, Rudy Bargnani liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Valiant effort to keep debate alive in these threads fellas - JV off the bench, DD still not that great, etc. Cause this shit is BOR-ING.

No more games for Austria?

Raptors Republic All-Star ball4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think Norm is eligible for an extension. Gotta put in 3 years in the league with a 4 year rookie contract.

Raptors Republic Veteran MixxAOR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    I dont think Norm is eligible for an extension. Gotta put in 3 years in the league with a 4 year rookie contract.
    He signed a 3 year contract and 3rd is not guaranteed

Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blake Murphy said on Twitter that Josh's numbers are the same as the maximum extension that the Raptors could offer Norm. So yeah, safe to say the same offer is on the table. Whether he signs the extension for security or wants to risk waiting (not much of a risk) for more money as a RFA next summer is the question.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    As I noted in early July, Norm is eligible for an extension this year because the new CBA shortened the term length before an extension from 3 years to 2. Also, as a second round pick, he didn't sign a rookie scale contract, so veteran extension rules apply to him. Hence the 4/42 I suggested for him back in July - it is his maximum offer, based on the projected average salary this year.

17. Like ball4life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    As I noted in early July, Norm is eligible for an extension this year because the new CBA shortened the term length before an extension from 3 years to 2. Also, as a second round pick, he didn't sign a rookie scale contract, so veteran extension rules apply to him. Hence the 4/42 I suggested for him back in July - it is his maximum offer, based on the projected average salary this year.
    Can such an extension be signed at any time before or during the season?

Why would management make the offer? Norm is still relatively unproven and would seem likely to have a rather low ceiling, given his size, skill set, draft position and, especially, his age entering the league. It would seem the most advantageous course for management would be to put the decision off as long as possible.

Raptors Republic Veteran Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BrieflySpeaking wrote: View Post

Why would management make the offer? Norm is still relatively unproven and would seem likely to have a rather low ceiling, given his size, skill set, draft position and, especially, his age entering the league. It would seem the most advantageous course for management would be to put the decision off as long as possible.
    If he outplays $10mm/yr in value you have a bargain deal and a good trade chip.

If you wait till RFA and he earns well above that, not only do you have to pay more to retain him, the extra hit due to the luxury tax is even more onerous. (Unless of course you intend to move JV, but that has proved difficult anyway.)

It's a situation similar to that of Jae Crowder, who after his first three years and at age 25 signed a 5-yr $35mm deal, which ended up being one of the best contracts in the league.

But it depends entirely on Masai's assessment of whether Norm can give us high-end role player production. Seems like a reasonable bet but then I think Norm is best at SG, and I don't know how well he's going to fit next to Demar over the long-term.

20. Like BrieflySpeaking liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Locking a VERY serviceable role player (if that is his ceiling, which I doubt) gives you not only his services, but also a very tradable piece to use in the future. Having Norm locked into a reasonable deal allows you to bundle him with JV, for instance, if you decide it becomes necessary to move JV.

22. Like LJ2 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

The extension can be signed anytime between now and June 30th.

If they can lock Norm into that deal, they should do it now and thank their lucky stars. All it takes is one stupid team to throw a THJ offer his way, and there's a plethora of stupid teams out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see if Norm is going to be a starter this season or not. Could play a huge role in the type of offers he receives.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Interesting to see if Norm is going to be a starter this season or not. Could play a huge role in the type of offers he receives.
    It should. If he starts at SF beside DD, then it's going to be tricky for teams to judge his effectiveness defensively and also on offense as a likely 4th option. Powell's natural position should be SG, but DeMar's locked in there. Norm could potentially put up big numbers as DD's backup against other opposing bench guys and be 2nd option on offense. Looking around the league, there looks to be a lot of teams that could use an upgrade at SG, or have some aging guys there. Starting Norm might be a good strategic move for the Raps to keep his numbers down in this contract year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    It should. If he starts at SF beside DD, then it's going to be tricky for teams to judge his effectiveness defensively and also on offense as a likely 4th option. Powell's natural position should be SG, but DeMar's locked in there. Norm could potentially put up big numbers as DD's backup against other opposing bench guys and be 2nd option on offense. Looking around the league, there looks to be a lot of teams that could use an upgrade at SG, or have some aging guys there. Starting Norm might be a good strategic move for the Raps to keep his numbers down in this contract year.
    I was thinking that they are less likely to start him on a contract year to keep him from having a break out season and thus offers from other teams low, but I can see what you are saying as well about starting him to keep usage low. Ultimately I feel he's a starting quality SG which we can't use as a starter on a permanent basis. His best value to us may come in the form of a trade.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    You should go check Powell's #s when he starts next to Deebo. Compare them to when he comes off the bench.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

28. Like special1, DanH liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would actually prefer not giving him an extension and see what the market does.. it's a gamble but I think it can pay off. How many teams will actually have cap space to make a good RFA offer to Norm? I know you only need one team, but I can't really even see which team that would be.

Masai isn't much of a gambler though. My guess is that Norm and his agent will agree to an extension.. similar to how Masai was able to get Ross and JV to sign extensions.

Page 263 of 282 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 ... LastLast

Thread Information