Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Check Josh Lewenberg's twitter feed. He has several clips from a Casey Q&A posted.

https://twitter.com/JLew1050
    Check out @JLew1050’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/...878281216?s=09

How did you get that he's leaning towards starting CJ from this?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Check out @JLew1050’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/...878281216?s=09

How did you get that he's leaning towards starting CJ from this?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      The only comment in that clip that suggests it is him grouping Norm in with several other young players who figure to be in the hunt for bench roles, and not differentiating him from them.

But there's another clip somewhere (I think on TSN overdrive maybe? Can't watch those at work) where he also talks about Miles spreading the floor, and guys he mentions along with him are KL, DD and JV, IIRC.

Like I said upthread, it's nothing definitive. But he's said nothing to suggest that Norm will start, and a few things that point to him coming off the bench. With any luck, it's just a coincidence with the way he said those comments, and Norm is going to start, or barring that, that it's a training camp decision that Norm can win out.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think all the shooters always had the green light. It's a matter of making sure the ball gets to the shooters.
        With a lack of shooters I think they look for more people to take shots that haven't in the past. Norm and Delon are prime targets to be asked to take more shots. Hoping Ibaka doesn't get too trigger happy. DeMar has gone as far as posting vids of his workouts so he's making it a focal point as well. By committee.

Comment

• CJ should be starting because he fits better in the starting line up. Powell is fine off the bench but they just need to play him a consistent 20-25 minutes a night. He really should be back up for the 2/3 spots which will provide him with those minutes. Siakam and Bruno will fight for the pf position. Siakam has distinct advantages but Bruno in theory will hopefully step up at the 3/4 spot... maybe filling in 5-10 minutes a game.

Guys like OG will also factor in as well January onward. Lastly, there is one other person who will really step in and that is Poetl.

Comment

He mentions that Siakam will compete for backup 4 (not sure who with). He mentions Norm when he's talking about young players who have to step up to new roles this year, but it's unclear if he's talking about him as a bench piece.
            He almost forgot to mention Siakam completely lol he only brings him after he says "I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody". I wouldn't read a lot into that but it was funny. Watching it I was repeating "what about Pascal? what about Pascal?", leaving him out would've been embarrassing. Like Casey said, he only started what, 38 games last year (though it's impressive he pulled that stat out of nowhere and it's 100% correct).
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
              He almost forgot to mention Siakam completely lol he only brings him after he says "I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody". I wouldn't read a lot into that but it was funny. Watching it I was repeating "what about Pascal? what about Pascal?", leaving him out would've been embarrassing. Like Casey said, he only started what, 38 games last year (though it's impressive he pulled that stat out of nowhere and it's 100% correct).
              Sounds like you-know-who is backing up the 4-spot

Comment

• Just tossing this out there....training camp and media day less than a week away. Actual stuff to talk about!

Comment

• Are the raptors doing any western canada games this Pre season?
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    CJ should be starting because he fits better in the starting line up. Powell is fine off the bench but they just need to play him a consistent 20-25 minutes a night. He really should be back up for the 2/3 spots which will provide him with those minutes. Siakam and Bruno will fight for the pf position. Siakam has distinct advantages but Bruno in theory will hopefully step up at the 3/4 spot... maybe filling in 5-10 minutes a game.

Guys like OG will also factor in as well January onward. Lastly, there is one other person who will really step in and that is Poetl.
                    Let me know how you feel about this when you see the "spacing" of the Wright-DD-Powell-Siakam-Poeltl bench unit.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Are the raptors doing any western canada games this Pre season?
                      Nope. I'm really disappointed about that.

Comment

Actually, some nice things from that Casey Q and A.

He explicitly says JV will be the starting C, and that Poeltl and BeBe will be battling for backup C minutes behind him (which to me suggests that Ibaka at C looks will be somewhat limited at least, so that's good).

Really sounds like Delon will get all of Cory's minutes, Casey threw in a Van Vleet mention but he was talking primarily about Wright.

He mentions that Siakam will compete for backup 4 (not sure who with). He mentions Norm when he's talking about young players who have to step up to new roles this year, but it's unclear if he's talking about him as a bench piece.

Talks about not reinventing the wheel with the offence, says they will look to move the ball side to side more, attack a moving defence, score earlier in the clock and pass more. More disciplined shot selection, specifically references something he calls a "shot spectrum", how they judge the quality of players' shots. Says he doesn't want to change who DeMar and Kyle are, but wants to make sure they use them and Serge efficiently - which hopefully speaks to fewer post ups for Serge, fewer isolations for the guards, more PnR looks.
                        DC is saying all the right things BUT it's still off-season and DC has a history of reverting back to bad habits when push comes to shove. Time will tell.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          Let me know how you feel about this when you see the "spacing" of the Wright-DD-Powell-Siakam-Poeltl bench unit.
                          So here is how I see it.

you start CJ. You pull him quickly. You put Powell out there. Then you have Lowry Plus bench unit. You never let the bench unit go without either lowry or CJ.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            Just tossing this out there....training camp and media day less than a week away. Actual stuff to talk about!
                            100%

Pretty much everything Raptors has been talked out, chewed over and sober second thought-ed a dozen times over to the point there is nuthin left to agree...disagree..or consider justifiable homicide over...

Personally I have overwritten on the irational exuberance the NBA world has about the Boston Chowderheads.

The Fire Casey crew has their points but the guys who suit up still listen to him so he's here till they tune him out..

The DD posts rage on ...how to reconcile that advanced stats don't correlate to a three time AllStar and USA national team member

Jonas Valanciunas...an under used potential star in waiting or a bum extraordinaire that should be shopped like a couch on Kijijji

Demarre Carroll....a guy robbed of his skills by injury or a guy writing cheques with his mouth his body couldn't cash

Norm Powell vs CJ Miles...who starts and why either choice is brilliant or misinformed.

I too, Jclaw can't wait for the first exhibition game ...
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Sounds like the rotation will be something like

Kyle/DD/Miles/Ibaka/JV

Wright/Powell/Siakam/Poeltl (Bebe loses ground because of his calf)

That's a solid group. Kyle runs with bench mob first, then bring back DD with Miles. Maybe Powell closes out the half.

Comment

• Powell SHOULD be starting. This is like a no brainer.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X