Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    If your PG is going to be score first than the players around him have to be better passers than. Thats just not the case right now.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, because of the system, not the players.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      Yeah, because of the system, not the players.
      Yes, a system that coaching and management thought would best suit this roster. If they are going to change style for real the roster make up has to change. I'll believe it when I see it.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

If your PG is going to be score first than the players around him have to be better passers than. Thats just not the case right now.

Kyle Lowry is a way above average passer. Labeling him as a score first PG is just ignorant. He is a well rounded player. Shoot-Pass-Dribble. That's the deadly combo of skills for players now.

You're still stuck on this hideous argument? How the hell can anyone in the Sixers be labelled "passers" they are god damn 8th in the league in assists.

Just look at Marc Jackson's warriors vs Steve Kerr's Warriors. Same players. Different coach. New system that revolutionized the game.

You keep pound pound pounding the rock about players not being this and that. If they are not capable of playing within a ball movement centric system then get them to work on it, if not cut their minutes. Don't have to cater to an ISO player's strength; which the coach/ team clearly know won't work in the playoffs.

Comment

Our role players are GREAT passers. Problem is, they pass it right back to Kyle and DeMar. That's our system.

Comment

• One of the funniest/worst part of watching this team over the past few years was seeing players with a natural instinct for moving the ball (grievous and cojo specifically) have it slowly beaten out of them. Thankfully, I don't think Norman and Delon have received severe enough exposure to have become terminally infected.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              One of the funniest/worst part of watching this team over the past few years was seeing players with a natural instinct for moving the ball (grievous and cojo specifically) have it slowly beaten out of them. Thankfully, I don't think Norman and Delon have received severe enough exposure to have become terminally infected.
              Delon/Norm/Cojo have all been here the same length of time. Delon is probably the best passer on the team.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun May 14, 2017, 01:31 PM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Yes, a system that coaching and management thought would best suit this roster. If they are going to change style for real the roster make up has to change. I'll believe it when I see it.

Roster doesn't have to change at all. The coach does, but hey if Casey can change his ways and create a new system, go for it, but I doubt he can.

And don't tell me this roster can't pass. Carroll played on a Hawks team that had great ball movement, he came here and started driving a lot more (which he shouldn't be doing), Lowry and Derozan are both capable playmakers, Ibaka and JV also capable of moving the ball.

Tell me how a team with McConnell, Rodriguez, Embiid, Covington, Henderson, Luwawu, Okafor and so on are a better passing team than a team with Lowry, Derozan, Carroll, Ibaka, JV, Joseph, Patterson, Poeltl, Tucker and so on. I'm not comparing the Raptors to an elite team, I'm comparing them to the damn Sixers.

Comment

Delon/Norm/Cojo have all been here the same length of time. Delon is probably the best passer on the team.

And plays the least. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

And plays the least. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
                    Having shoulder surgery, being a 2nd year player has nothing to do with it.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Having shoulder surgery, being a 2nd year player has nothing to do with it.

It was a joke
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

It was a joke
                        It's gonna be a long off-season for Chr1st1anL

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                          Roster doesn't have to change at all. The coach does, but hey if Casey can change his ways and create a new system, go for it, but I doubt he can.

And don't tell me this roster can't pass. Carroll played on a Hawks team that had great ball movement, he came here and started driving a lot more (which he shouldn't be doing), Lowry and Derozan are both capable playmakers, Ibaka and JV also capable of moving the ball.

Tell me how a team with McConnell, Rodriguez, Embiid, Covington, Henderson, Luwawu, Okafor and so on are a better passing team than a team with Lowry, Derozan, Carroll, Ibaka, JV, Joseph, Patterson, Poeltl, Tucker and so on. I'm not comparing the Raptors to an elite team, I'm comparing them to the damn Sixers.
                          As others have said, it is both systematic and systemic. We don't have elite passers (or anything close really), and we have an system and ethos that prizes driving and getting shots in the lane (and free throws) over assists. Our players come and get the ball and attack, passes are often made to the outer hand where the recipient has to jump for the catch out of the lane rather than to the basket.

And that really is the "culture" that Masai will set out to change this summer. To get the ball humming like we all know it can. We saw it at times this season when things were clicking, we were almost there. And then Kyle needed surgery and the rest is history.

Fortunately, it's not as hard to change the culture as it's being made out to be. In basketball, so much of the team culture rests on each guy on the bench - rotation players especially - that any significant shakeup in terms of roster and coaching philosophy will have major "cultural" effects.

The keys to shifting the team in this direction will be to acquire more willing and skilled passers, and instituting an offensive system and ethos that attack more with the pass than the drive. The difficulty will be doing that and remaining highly competitive without Kyle Lowry.

Comment

• How about a trade with the Mavs

Toronto out: Jonas V, DMC, 2017 1st round pick
                            Toronto in: signed Noel, Dwight Powell, Wesly Matthews

Toronto signs George Hill to a 3 year deal and let Lowry and Patterson walk
                            Toronto resigns Ibaka and PJ Tucker

Hill/Joseph/Delon
                            DeRozan/WMatthews
                            Powell/Tucker
                            Ibaka/DPowell/Siakam
                            Noel/Poeltl

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                              How about a trade with the Mavs

Toronto out: Jonas V, DMC, 2017 1st round pick
                              Toronto in: signed Noel, Dwight Powell, Wesly Matthews

Toronto signs George Hill to a 3 year deal and let Lowry and Patterson walk
                              Toronto resigns Ibaka and PJ Tucker

Hill/Joseph/Delon
                              DeRozan/WMatthews
                              Powell/Tucker
                              Ibaka/DPowell/Siakam
                              Noel/Poeltl
                              I think we could get NOEL or Wesley Matthews.... Not both plus Dwight LOL. Like you are talking about winning an amazing trade. Our pick is ok but it isn't THAT good. Like HERE TAKE OUR TRASH ... AND WE WILL TAKE ALL YOUR SERVICEABLE PLAYERS THANK YOU.

Additionally, we wouldn't have room if we resigned tucker and Ibaka. We would literally need to trade and not take on any additional salary. NOEL would need to be resigned and he will get 10-13 probably.

I honestly think Poetl will end up being one of the better pick ups we had. We just need to play him more.

Comment

• I bet that Nick Young is one our top of targets this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X