Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather ibaka vs milsap edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I easily prefer Millsap, even with the cost. But the issue was ATL is stubbornly holding onto him. They actually need to rebuild in the worst way. I've been watching their games and I agree with the ATL fans. They are really good because of Millsap. But they don't have a young core to build on and they are going to be capped out soon. Millsap is a much better fit as the games I've seen. Still as awesome as ever. He's an excellent passer for a big, can create his own shot and a very good positional defender. He's actually rated much better than Ibaka for the past 4 years on defense, so the argument that Ibaka is a better defender because he blocks shots is moot. In addition, the actual price money wise between Millsap and Ibaka isn't that big. Millsap, like Kyle is due for 35% of the cap( as a 10 year vet/ tier 3 max contract). Millsap's max is 5/178.5. Ibaka as a 8 year vet( tier 2 max contract) is 30% of the cap. 5/153. Not a huge difference imo. I understand why we got Ibaka. He's the one that was available. If Millsap was even semi-available, you have to go with Millsap, even if it takes a lot to acquire him/asset wise.
    Last edited by #Rapsarelegit; Sun Feb 19, 2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

#Rapsarelegit wrote: View Post
      You gotta be joking. Kyle's max is 35% of the cap, as a 10 year vet. 35% of 102 million cap is 35.7. Kyle is due for a 5/178.5 max. If you want to keep Kyle, you have to pay more than 25. We probably need to pay more like 5/165 at 33/yr to keep Kyle. I'm not hoping for a big discount. Even a 2-3 million a year would be awesome. Pay the man his money!
      @TrueTorontofan
      So you know, salaries are not flat in the NBA. Lowry's deal could have raises worth 8% of the first year salary per season, meaning his max is not 5/178 but a little over 5/200.

But the market is a 4 year deal with 5% raises (the most another team could offer) which works out to a little over 4/155; that's really the floor. So a 5/170 deal (or something else between 155 and his max) could be worthwhile for him if he prefers a higher dollar guarantee, even if the annual salary is a little lower.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Consider us lucky that Kyle doesn't qualify for the designated player rule. If he did, Kyle's max would easily be 5/200+ himself. But he's not on his original team ie (the grizzlies), nor was he was traded to us on his rookie contract. At this point, I would pay Kyle whatever it takes.
        His max IS 5/200+. The designated player rule would have zero impact on Lowry as he already has 10 years experience - it only helps guys in their 7-9 years experience age brackets.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Milsap and its not even close.

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
            Milsap and its not even close.

Agreed..if u take away milsap from ATL their in the basement..
            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

H looks pretty good for a guy suffering a significant decline in his game.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                His max IS 5/200+. The designated player rule would have zero impact on Lowry as he already has 10 years experience - it only helps guys in their 7-9 years experience age brackets.
                Depends on how much the salary cap goes up. Next year is 102. The year after it's projected to 103. Lowry's max is 35% of each rising salary cap. We don't know what the final numbers are to predict how much Kyle can make. I'm just saying 5/178.5 is his max based on this year's cap. It might be a little higher,but I don't think it's 5/200+. Probably around 5/190 or so. The designated player rule is the supermax(ie 200 million contracts). You have to be on your rookie deal or had to have been traded on your rookie deal to qualify+ all NBA honors. Kyle does not qualify for that because he's not on his original team/traded on rookie scale.
                Last edited by #Rapsarelegit; Tue Feb 21, 2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

The decline is on the defensive side. You can't sweep that under a rug. You all don't remember how good he used to be. Not going to say it again. Not to mention he's due for twice the amount he's making now.

Comment

Depends on how much the salary cap goes up. Next year is 102. The year after it's projected to 103. Lowry's max is 35% of each rising salary cap. We don't know what the final numbers are to predict how much Kyle can make. I'm just saying 5/178.5 is his max based on this year's cap. It might be a little higher,but I don't think it's 5/200+. Probably around 5/190 or so. The designated player rule is the supermax(ie 200 million contracts). You have to be on your rookie deal or had to have been traded on your rookie deal to qualify+ all NBA honors. Kyle does not qualify for that because he's not on his original team/traded on rookie scale.
                    What? No, that's not how it works at all. A player's max salary is defined by their first year salary, which is 35% of the cap in Lowry's case. For the salary in other years of the deal, it is limited by maximum raises (or drops) from the previous season. In the new CBA, Bird Rights give the team the option of offering a total of 5 years with annual raises equal to 8% of the first year of the deal. What the cap does in future seasons has nothing to do with the contract at all - only this summer's cap number matters.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Buyers remorse?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Buyers remorse?
                        none

Comment

Buyers remorse?
                          Is this because Cousins was just had for a bag of peanuts or did the Raptors just go 0-5 with Ibaka and I missed it? I thought we were waiting for Friday.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I don't know. I'm asking because Ibaka is here and Millsap is not and will no be here.

Comment

I don't know. I'm asking because Ibaka is here and Millsap is not and will no be here.
                              For as cheap as they got Ibaka, I think you have to do that 10 times out of 10. Whether or not it works out is different than whether or not it was the right decision at the time, imho. Like draft picks, some trades work out better than others and it's impossible to predict the end result.

Is it Friday yet?
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Buyers remorse?
                                Nope. We took our weakest position and turned it into arguably our strongest overall position (starter + bench) and freed up minutes for our 3rd or 4th best player (Powell). MU removed all excuses for the Raps not getting to the ECF again. It's up to Casey and the players now.

Comment

Working...
                                X