Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather ibaka vs milsap edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather ibaka vs milsap edition!

I know its early, but here is my question for everyone. Lets say we could have had Paul Millsap for T-Ross+2Pat+2017 first rounder. Would you rather have traded for him or for Ibaka given what we gave up for Ibaka. I am asking this running under the assumption that we resign ibaka and would have resigned Millsap.

Additionally, Remember that Masai has said that the MLSE has given him the green light to go into the luxury tax.

Personally I would rather go for Serge.

He helps us spread the floor more than Millsap would have. He is younger than Paul. So assuming we would have signed both for 5 years we would be getting a 37 year old Millsap vs a 33 year old Ibaka. Serge has a better history of being an all nba defender. Even though Paul Millsap is a 4 time all star.

Yes Millsap is better right now, but will he be better in 2 years from now?
    Serge Ibaka
    70.83%
    Paul Millsap
    29.17%
    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sat Feb 18, 2017, 05:31 PM.

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    I know its early, but here is my question for everyone. Lets say we could have had Paul Millsap for T-Ross+2Pat+2017 first rounder. Would you rather have traded for him or for Ibaka given what we gave up for Ibaka. I am asking this running under the assumption that we resign ibaka and would have resigned Millsap.

Additionally, Remember that Masai has said that the MLSE has given him the green light to go into the luxury tax.

Personally I would rather go for Serge.

He helps us spread the floor more than Millsap would have. He is younger than Paul. So assuming we would have signed both for 5 years we would be getting a 37 year old Millsap vs a 33 year old Ibaka. Serge has a better history of being an all nba defender. Even though Paul Millsap is a 4 time all star.

Yes Millsap is better right now, but will he be better in 2 years from now?
    I like Serge better as well mainly because even with his defensive drop off this season he's still a better defender than Millsap and that's what we need most. He gives us the rim protection that Millsap does not and he's a little more agile and athletic. Also he seems to be more efficient offensively looking at the stats. Millsap would have been great as well though, don't get me wrong. I just feel Serge brings more to the team defensively and is more versatile in terms of being able to play small ball 5 as well.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Given the parameters of the question (Millsap for Patterson/Ross/first), I'd rather the trade that we got. Patterson plus another defensively capable stretch PF is, IMO, the lineup that presents the most intrigue, and obviously if we're giving up Patterson for Millsap we've upgraded one position but haven't given ourselves more matchup options (infact, fewer with taking both Ross and Patterson out).

Straight up, same trade cost (Millsap for Ross/first) I'd probably opt for Millsap, but sounds like that was pretty clearly not getting it done.

Comment

I like millsap more than serge. Age only matters on paper, it's the production that counts and Millsaps overall production is better and more consistent the past few yrs.
        That said, if we can resign pat and serge then id prefer that over Millsap. Not sure if we can? I'm also bias to pat.

Comment

1. For the price? Serge

2. Max ceiling of the team? Millsap

3. Timing? Fit? (Mid-season acquisition.. only 25 games left). Serge

Going with Iblocka here

Comment

Straight up selection based on talent? Millsap in a landslide.

But considering the cost for Millsap was going to be WAY more than Ross+, I'm very happy with the Ibaka deal.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Paul Millsap is actually a better overall defender than Ibaka is, I mean Millsap did make the All-NBA Defensive 2nd team last year.

But for the price yeah I'll go with Ibaka, but in a vacuum Millsap is far, far better.

Comment

Millsap is a better defender than Ibaka.. Millsap is a legit all-star. Ibaka is a great role player. It was the cost of the trade that made the Ibaka trade more palatable.

Comment

Ibaka is a 3x All NBA defensive FIRST team.

I think he's a better defender than Millsap. Millsap is the better offensive player though.

So to answer the OP's question - Ibaka. Better fit than Millsap imo.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

I don't understand the cost argument. If the difference is Pat then you have to resign Pat otherwise you might as well have traded him to get the better player in Millsap.
                    In reality, I understand the cost argument bc it seems Millsap would have commanded more assets than what was suggested in the OP. Probably have to add yak or Delon or another pick.
                    Re: Defense - serge has more experience at the 5 than Millsap. The D versatility is a plus. They're both around as good now but serge was better a few yrs ago. I think he might regain some of that form at the 5. Orlando had too many 5s.

Comment

Definitely prefer Ibaka ... IF we resign him of course.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Straight up selection based on talent? Millsap in a landslide.

But considering the cost for Millsap was going to be WAY more than Ross+, I'm very happy with the Ibaka deal.
                        honestly. it's about the equal. but Ibaka is bigger and stronger. if Ibaka was playing on a playoff quality team all season, he would probably be in the all-star game too. Milsap is over acheiving and we know this when Atlanta actually makes the playoffs and the Hawks end up doing nothing.

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
                          I don't understand the cost argument. If the difference is Pat then you have to resign Pat otherwise you might as well have traded him to get the better player in Millsap.
                          In reality, I understand the cost argument bc it seems Millsap would have commanded more assets than what was suggested in the OP. Probably have to add yak or Delon or another pick.
                          Re: Defense - serge has more experience at the 5 than Millsap. The D versatility is a plus. They're both around as good now but serge was better a few yrs ago. I think he might regain some of that form at the 5. Orlando had too many 5s.
                          The acquisition cost is one aspect. The cost forward is even larger. With Ibaka there's the chance of retaining Pat. Milsap's max is higher and will likely command more even if he signs under max.

So not only would assets be going out to acquire, more are leaving to retain.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                            The acquisition cost is one aspect. The cost forward is even larger. With Ibaka there's the chance of retaining Pat. Milsap's max is higher and will likely command more even if he signs under max.

So not only would assets be going out to acquire, more are leaving to retain.
                            I'm thinking serge goes for $25m and Millsap $30m and Pat $15m. Sound right?
                            How do you sign Pat without trading $15mish? That means JV/DMC or Cory/bebe/siakam. How much salary comes back and what is the quality of asset?
                            Millsap is more straightforward. Pat's gone, JV is 5, siakam is 3rd stringer, an exception is used (a la sully) for a 2nd pf and DMC plays spot mins at the 4.

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
                              I'm thinking serge goes for $25m and Millsap $30m and Pat $15m. Sound right?
                              How do you sign Pat without trading $15mish? That means JV/DMC or Cory/bebe/siakam. How much salary comes back and what is the quality of asset?
                              Millsap is more straightforward. Pat's gone, JV is 5, siakam is 3rd stringer, an exception is used (a la sully) for a 2nd pf and DMC plays spot mins at the 4.
                              You might be on to something.
                              Lets say your figures (re salary next year) are more or less correct (they see reasonable).
                              Then how about this:
                              -Resign Ibaka at $25mil;
                              -Trade Val (should net us a solid asset);
                              -Resign 2Pat at $15mil

Our front court: Ibaka & Poeltl (or Bebe) at 4-5;
                              Ibaka & 2Pat at 4-5 in small ball
                              Backups: Bebe (or Yak), Siakam (and somebody we get for Val at cheap or draft & groom OR another "project" like Biz -good, Sully -no so good);
                              Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X