Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    Perceptively right-on!

Should really be moved to the "Everything Demar" thread.

With the small ball invasion in vogue the last 2-3 yrs. it is quite futile to label many of the shooters with previously bb dogmatic labels/positions. Use of the term combo-guard and point-forward are examples.
    Almost everyone on the Raptors will play 2-3 positions within a single game, and that's just accounting for the offensive end which doesn't even correlate to where they're playing on the defensive end half the time. The defence is matchup dependent and the offence depends on who else is on the floor and what role the guy has with that group. Static pg/sg/sf/pf/c labels are almost useless descriptors.

Valanciunas only plays C, is there anybody else limited to only one position on this team?
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

If Harden is a PG, then how is that different than CoJo dribbling the ball up to half to just give the ball to Demar at mid court to then initiate the "offence"? Demar is basically the PG on a lot of his Usage possessions, so to me, both Harden and Demar are SGs.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        DeMar's offense is better than Harden's?
        Nah, he creates more points via 3-pointers and assists. I meant as a shooting guard

Comment

This thread has been Abbassed.

I sense Solomon shall have to intervene soon.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            Almost everyone on the Raptors will play 2-3 positions within a single game, and that's just accounting for the offensive end which doesn't even correlate to where they're playing on the defensive end half the time. The defence is matchup dependent and the offence depends on who else is on the floor and what role the guy has with that group. Static pg/sg/sf/pf/c labels are almost useless descriptors.

Valanciunas only plays C, is there anybody else limited to only one position on this team?
            I was saying earlier, after the trades, that only JV and Van Vleet are restricted to one position (which makes sense as they are on the extremes), and the positional flexibility of the roster is incredible.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

To me, the game has evolved to where there's really basically 4 types of "positions" and most guys tween between 2. Sure there's 5 by name and cause you play 5 men but it really breaks down to 4:

The point guard is still the point guard, although lots of teams have extended minutes with 2 point guard as one slides over to the 2 guard.

There's the "small wing" which is a fluid spot often occupying the 2 and 3 in the same game, they can come sometimes do point duty in stretches (derozan, ross, lou will, butler, Thompson)

The "big wing" is a fluid spot that occupys the 3 spot or the 4 spot, heck sometimes even the 2 or 5 will have this man (lebron, Carmelo, George, carroll)

The 4th and final spot is just "the big". Doesn't really matter if you're a 4 or a 5, centers that are slow or have no range are being squeezed out, sometimes you only see one big on the floor or 2 de facto power forwards.

So positionally, being that it's so fluid, I'd feel comfortable comparing DeMar to all other "small wings". I have him behind butler, Harden is tweening too much to know where to put him, and I'll call it a tie between klay and demar, id accept either side of that argument, two scorers with vastly different styles. Demar is probably the better high usage alpha scorer, klay is in an insane shooter with better d.

Let's call demar a top 3 small wing. Not too shabby.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                To me, the game has evolved to where there's really basically 4 types of "positions" and most guys tween between 2. Sure there's 5 by name and cause you play 5 men but it really breaks down to 4:

The point guard is still the point guard, although lots of teams have extended minutes with 2 point guard as one slides over to the 2 guard.

There's the "small wing" which is a fluid spot often occupying the 2 and 3 in the same game, they can come sometimes do point duty in stretches (derozan, ross, lou will, butler, Thompson)

The "big wing" is a fluid spot that occupys the 3 spot or the 4 spot, heck sometimes even the 2 or 5 will have this man (lebron, Carmelo, George, carroll)

The 4th and final spot is just "the big". Doesn't really matter if you're a 4 or a 5, centers that are slow or have no range are being squeezed out, sometimes you only see one big on the floor or 2 de facto power forwards.

So positionally, being that it's so fluid, I'd feel comfortable comparing DeMar to all other "small wings". I have him behind butler, Harden is tweening too much to know where to put him, and I'll call it a tie between klay and demar, id accept either side of that argument, two scorers with vastly different styles. Demar is probably the better high usage alpha scorer, klay is in an insane shooter with better d.

Let's call demar a top 3 small wing. Not too shabby.
                You could even reduce that to 3, PG, Wing and Big.

Comment

danno wrote: View Post
                  You could even reduce that to 3, PG, Wing and Big.
                  Forsure, but just for added separation, cause "big wing" and "small big" are basically the same now. A lebron and a pj tucker can bang with anybody, I don't have them in the same realm as a demar and a lou will
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Forsure, but just for added separation, cause "big wing" and "small big" are basically the same now. A lebron and a pj tucker can bang with anybody, I don't have them in the same realm as a demar and a lou will
                    Good point

Comment

I've seen this breakdown somewhere else, and it was guard, wing, forward, big.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                      X